German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure where to put this but I need to make a decission. We have had a groundhog living in our backyard for a long time. This year we took down the fence around the old vegetable garden, his secondary home. He had been living under a trailer in the back of my horse corral. So when he was going from the trailer to the garden didn't really effect anything. Now he travels from the trailer to my hayroom which is in my backyard where the dogs are. He has gotten pretty brave and comes out when I am in the horses corral. I see him in the backyard more frequently now as well. Yesterday he lunged at Lakota, she ran back and he proceeded to go to the hayroom. I just got off the phone with the trapper who told me I had to wait until July to see if there were babies. Well no babies, so "He" has to go. The trapper said he would charge $275 thats a discounted price because I will check the trap everyday. I don't want to kill the little rat but if I chance trapping it myself and relocate it, I could get a fine of up to $7,000.00. I told my husband a vet bill could be more than $275. I love animals but I cant risk the dogs getting bit.

Registered
Not sure where to put this but I need to make a decission. We have had a groundhog living in our backyard for a long time. This year we took down the fence around the old vegetable garden, his secondary home. He had been living under a trailer in the back of my horse corral. So when he was going from the trailer to the garden didn't really effect anything. Now he travels from the trailer to my hayroom which is in my backyard where the dogs are. He has gotten pretty brave and comes out when I am in the horses corral. I see him in the backyard more frequently now as well. Yesterday he lunged at Lakota, she ran back and he proceeded to go to the hayroom. I just got off the phone with the trapper who told me I had to wait until July to see if there were babies. Well no babies, so "He" has to go. The trapper said he would charge $275 thats a discounted price because I will check the trap everyday. I don't want to kill the little rat but if I chance trapping it myself and relocate it, I could get a fine of up to $7,000.00. I told my husband a vet bill could be more than $275. I love animals but I cant risk the dogs getting bit.
If it's on your property and you catch it and relocate it to somewhere else you can get a fine of $7,000? That is the dumbest law I have ever heard! Ridiculous.

Registered
How big are groundhogs anyway, that you have to worry about a threat to your dogs? We don't have them here so I've never seen one.

Registered
Groundhogs are pretty big.

I'd be worried about their holes around the horses.

Your must live on a farm to have horses. Can you not shoot the groundhog because it is attacking your livestock? You can shoot a dog if it attacked your livestock.

Registered
Groundhogs are pretty big.

I'd be worried about their holes around the horses.

Your must live on a farm to have horses. Can you not shoot the groundhog because it is attacking your livestock? You can shoot a dog if it attacked your livestock.
:eek: She doesn't need to kill it for Petes Sake! I would capture the sucker and drop him off at someone elses farm, hahahaha. Take it to the woods.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
If the state DEC catches us with the groundhog in the trap while we are relocating him, we would be trapping without a license. He's about the size of a cat. We have an acre.
Yes I was worried about the horses but he's not tunneling in open areas, just under fences (I put big rocks he just digs another hole to get under the fence), under the trailer (which is in the furthest part of the horse corral) & hayroom (which is in the yard with the dogs.) I do not want to kill him. I know with squirrels if you put a loud radio they may move. I wonder if I put a loud radio in the hayroom he would move.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
I was also told I have to take him 15 miles away. We did that with a squirrel (aka tree rat) years ago. Hubby took him for a ride to work.

Registered
Hmmmmm. I think I would live dangerously and trap & release it myself....late at night...dressed in camo....:lurking:

I wonder if you called your local humane society they might have a less expensive venue for you to follow, or maybe your county animal control. I presume the trapper is a private citizen.

When we first bought our home we had a large barn owl living in our pump house, and it was sitting on eggs. There was a hole in the roof where it could come and go. We called the county animal control and they came out and showed us our options. Certianly didn't want to kill it. They could rehome it, or we could leave the hole until after the babies hatched and flew away. I made hubby wait. I enjoyed watching mom.

Registered
:eek: She doesn't need to kill it for Petes Sake! I would capture the sucker and drop him off at someone elses farm, hahahaha. Take it to the woods.
My point is she will face a fine of $7000 for relocating a rodent.

Farmers can shoot dogs if they are bothering their livestock, but a groundhog appears to be protected in this case.

My parents have farmland and we did have horses. A horse stepping in a groundhog hole means a broken leg and probably would need to be put to sleep.

If relocating it meant a $7000 fine, I would pay for pest control, and failing that I would be calling in a favour. I would not risk my horse and if it started attacking my other animials I would have to do something too, although not popular.

Registered
Relocating a rodent will probably result in its death anyway, at least that's the story on relocating squirrels here in western Washington. The State and County here both tell you if you have annoying Eastern Gray Squirrels (non-native), trap and destroy. Of course, you're supposed to leave the (native) Douglas squirrels the heck alone.

Registered
What about animal control (did I miss something?) Here in Calif. if you have an animal trapped ro confined...they will come and get them (and re-locate them). I am sure each state is different, but worth a call. Please don't shoot him, he is acting like, well, a groundhog!

Super Moderator
here in ct, (we have a trapper at work who has been trapping raccoons).

He told us this,,if he traps a female that is obviously pregnant or has babies, he has to let it go, if it's a male or out of season female, by law, he has to humanely destroy them. They cannot by law relocate them, as they could be infesting that area with some type of disease if they have one.

So, I would think, if the 'trapper' traps your woodchuck, he is going to kill him,,it may be he "has" to by law.

I have a big fat woodchuck living under a shed of mine, he also pushes his way under my fence and I catch him in the backyard,,I just yell, and he gots a running under the fence.

The thing they worry about here is rabies. Years ago I had one in the backyard, I didnt' see it, let out 3 dogs,,Jake, my good dawg, went right up to it, wagging his tail, well the "chuck" bit him on the nose, and Jake didn't take that to well, one shake, and he was dead..I had to rebooster his rabies vac:((..

Registered
I'm going to go out on a limb here and ask... is the groundhog really such a threat? I think I'd let it do it's thing and live and let live. He may think he's a big shot, but I bet he'd haul butt if the dogs actually went for him.

Super Moderator
a woodchuck may not be able to haul butt when dogs are on him,,the one in my yard didn't, and well, Jake killed him.:((

Registered
If it were me, which thankfully it isn't, I would trap it humanely and relocate it to an area that is not populated. We once had a raccoon that kept showing up and while it was endearing, it was also scary for my animals. We caught it and took it to the river about five miles away where there is absolutely no civilization. I'd go at night while the world sleeps and noone can see what you are doing. Just my .02. Good luck to you!

Super Moderator
thats' what I would do to, trap myself, relocate..

Registered
I personally let my terriers have at them, that's what they are for, I too have horses and there is no way in **** I will compromise their health and safety for a filthy rodent that digs dangerous holes in the arenas and craps all over their food spreading disease. It's a no brainer for me, not even a second thought, and that goes for the squirrels and mice as well.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts