German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a partially/mostly eaten bird in the yard this morning. I guess Seven caught one last night. I cleaned up the remains, but there are little white things all around where the bulk of the body was. I'm assuming they are maggots or maggot eggs. What should I do about them? I don't want her getting sick from them.

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

·
Registered
219 Posts
I dont think your dog killed the bird last night. To have maggots the corpse needs to be atleast 24 hours old sometimes it can take up to two days to see maggots depending on the species of fly. If you cleaned up the body and removed most of the maggots your dog should be fine if its maggots. If you would like to post a pic I can tell you for sure if they are maggots or not and what kind of fly it was.

·
Registered
910 Posts
It's also possible your dog didn't kill the bird, but found it already dead and brought closer/more visible to the house...which would explain why there's more insect activity than there would be in a freshly-killed bird...

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here is are a couple pics of the little white things that I think may be maggot eggs.
IMG_4902[1].jpg

IMG_4904[1].jpg

Thanks for your help on this.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Its really hard to see. But it looks like blow fly eggs. As long as your dog doesnt have any open wounds on his body, I wouldnt be to worried about it. They can cause Myiasis but thats more common in cattle and sheep. It does happen in pets and humans but as along as you clean the area and dont let your dog ingest them or play around that area until its clean it will be fine. I am with Anitsisqua with a wide number of grubs off the host I would suspect it was disturbed by something, your dog, a squirrel, other birds, any scavenger. I would boil some water and mix a small amount of dog shampoo( anything that contains permethrin) but the safest for your dog would be dog shampoo or hairspray, and pour that over the area, it should kill any that you missed with your clean up. They are also attracted to beer, so you could put a small dish of beer next to the area and they will drown themselves init. We would use brake cleaner in the office but I wouldnt recommend that with your dog.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts