German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you get your GSD professionally groomed or do you do it yourself (washing, ear cleaning, nails trimmed, ect.)? I just dropped Deuce (18 weeks) off at Petco to be groomed for the first time and he gave me that "don't leave me!" look :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I've been doing it myself. I give my dog a bath, clean her ears (which I do about every 3-4 weeks anyway), brush her teeth (which I do about 5 days a week anyway), and try to trim her nails. Thats a work in progress. LOL

I think its great to take them somewhere else so they can get used other people handling them though. :)

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've been doing it myself. I give my dog a bath, clean her ears (which I do about every 3-4 weeks anyway), brush her teeth (which I do about 5 days a week anyway), and try to trim her nails. Thats a work in progress. LOL

I think its great to take them somewhere else so they can get used other people handling them though. :)
See, that's what I was thinking too. He needs the socialization and he's getting ready to start a puppy class there so he's getting accusome to the store as well.

You're brave trimming nails! I'm always afraid i'll cut them too short since they're dark.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Stosh is long-coated so I've taken him to the vet's or PetSmart- they have a $10.99 special for dogs up to 6 mos old. They do the works, nails, ears, bath, brush. Definitely worth the price.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Have you tried using a dremel and grinding them? We did that at puppy class and it's much easier than clipping, only takes a few minutes and there's no chance of cutting too short

·
Banned
5,218 Posts
I did it with my last dog because she had a long coat and didn't like the nail clipper. She was VERY UNHAPPY every time she went for 12 years. For this dog, Abby, I do it all. She has a short coat, doesn't shed much, easy to bathe and easy to trim nails.

·
Registered
819 Posts
We do our own grooming, too. Like others, the one problem I have is with her nails. She hates it! Fortunately, Miikka’s nails stay somewhat short as I walk her on pavement and I think that sort of helps keep them trimmed. Also, whenever I take Miikka to the vet, I ALWAYS ask them to trim her nails (if its necessary). A vet tech does it and it takes her less than a minute! Plus, they don’t charge me anything to do it.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
We do all the grooming ourselves. During the winter, we do take some of them into one of the petco's that has a $12 self wash option because it keeps the mess out of our tub and bathroom.

We've been doing ears, nails, and brushing ourselves for years. I refuse to pay $40+ for a shepherd to get a "bath and brush" at a petstore when I can do a better job at home.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
I do everything but the nails at home. Hondo has only the two outside toes on one of his back feet and the nails grow upward instead of down. So they need special treatment. The vet also gets to keep an eye on his pad. So far I've never been charged for a trim, but I can understand it if they did.

Also, if his pad is sore (from over exercise) he'll get a little grouchy about handling it. He's never growled or snapped, but he'll attempt to jerk it out of your hand. At the vet's I hold his head / neck and he is perfectly quiet.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
We do everything here at home. But I can see the benefits to getting your puppy used to being groomed by a stranger.

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
You're brave trimming nails! I'm always afraid i'll cut them too short since they're dark.
Get a jar of septic powder and keep it at hand while trimming nails, it's less scary if you know you have something to instantly stop the bleeding if you do go to far.

I have not done it with Blitz yet, not sure how she would take it...how did he do?

·
Banned
5,218 Posts
Get a jar of septic powder and keep it at hand while trimming nails, it's less scary if you know you have something to instantly stop the bleeding if you do go to far.

I have not done it with Blitz yet, not sure how she would take it...how did he do?
I think you mean styptic powder. Septic means poison.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.