German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How often do you brush your dog?
After the dog park I took my dog out and brushed him. It looks like he has lost 5lbs in just fur. He does look much better and seems much cooler.

·
Registered
954 Posts
We brush for 5-10 min every day or every other day.

·
Super Moderator
32,304 Posts
I usually only brush every month or two unless they're blowing coat. Halo is blowing coat. :wild: I took enough undercoat off her on Friday to outfit several medium size dogs, and then we did it all over again on Monday. But now she's practically bald, so it will probably be awhile.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I try to brush them at least once a week, but twice is better. It really keeps the hair out of the house, and it keeps them cleaner and smelling good.

·
Registered
344 Posts
When i first rescued my first shepherd sam (owners put him on craigslist, they were quiet clearly drug dealers and he was underweight and matty) i had to brush him everyday for what seemed like ages! The first day i got 4 grocery bags of messy nasty undercoat. it was horrible...

with my two dogs now, i brush stauba daily for about 5-10 mins (shedding puppy/undercoat ) and aschen once a week because his long coat doesnt shed or tangle all that much, he's very silky (for now....)!!!!!!

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
Daily - and I combine it with a massage and good rubdown. He enjoys it and it keeps his coat looking nice, also I can spot any skin problems right away.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
out of 7 days i make sure
i brush 4 days sometimes more.
i spend 15 to 20 minutes brushing.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I have noticed JOsie's coat is a bit greasier since she's been on her meds for EPI and she doesn't smell all that great so i have to bathe her at least once a month. I hope that isn't too much for her?

What kind of shampoos do you guys use for dry itchy skin? ( which she has)

·
Registered
102 Posts
I brush Jericho for 5-10 mins every other day and do one full on grooming maybe once a week if it's nasty muddy outside or he gets into stuff he shouldn't. One every 2-3 weeks otherwise. For shampoos I use a nice oatmeal shampoo for itchy/dry skin. For the dogs I was at school we use a pyrantel shampoo mixed with an aloe and oatmeal, which seems to be doublely helpful since it kills any hiding fleas if there are any (Good after a visit to the dog park) and the Aloe and Oatmeal help with the itchy/dry skin issues.

·
Registered
40 Posts
There is earth bath oatmeal and aloe shampoo i use for fenix.. it had helped a lot with her itchy skin. she loved it. its very natural, no chemicals at all.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I don't brush Dex unless he's been swimming a lot and has a bit of hair coming out...he doesn't shed much.....

JosieBear we just tried a rinse on our female of 1 cup colloidal oatmeal (make your own or buy) and 1 cup baking soda, dissolve in warm/temped water, poured on her, left 15-30 mins. and rinsed with clean water. She had a severe skin reaction to her rabies vaccine (thank goodness no more of those for her) and it really helped with the inflamed skin and itching.

·
Registered
47 Posts
nice thread, i was just gonna ask a question on this matter. when we brought sam in to join us as an inside dog i had to bath the heck out of him...he still has a slight odor to him though, can i bath him again?? and what shampoo? he has kinda itchy skin from fleas bothering him i suspect when he was outside. i used advantage and now see no fleas but he still itches once in awhile. i put some anti itch meds on him and it seemed to help. his coat is pretty coarse except for his head and neck is this normal or is there something i can use to make him softer??

·
Registered
529 Posts
nice thread, i was just gonna ask a question on this matter. when we brought sam in to join us as an inside dog i had to bath the heck out of him...he still has a slight odor to him though, can i bath him again?? and what shampoo? he has kinda itchy skin from fleas bothering him i suspect when he was outside. i used advantage and now see no fleas but he still itches once in awhile. i put some anti itch meds on him and it seemed to help. his coat is pretty coarse except for his head and neck is this normal or is there something i can use to make him softer??
a high quality, species appropriate and natural diet will generally do the trick, as well as EFA's such as fish oil, flax oil and olive oil.

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
I hardly ever brush Masi, she has a short stock coat, but sheds like a german shedder at times:)) I can not live without my metro air force blower,,she gets blown out a couple times a week, and what a difference, also easier than brushing tho she doesn't mind that either.

My aussies on the other hand, one has more of a working line coat, he's easy, blows out nice.. My female who's a foo foo dog, doesn't like to give up her coat,,soooo have to get in and really pull it out of her,,I use an undercoat rake on her alot and thin it out.

As for the Q above about bathing,,you can bathe him again, find a shampoo for itchy skin, or medicated oatmeal. Make sure when you bath him yourself, to get ALL that shampoo off him,,any left can also make them itchy:)

·
Registered
47 Posts
a high quality, species appropriate and natural diet will generally do the trick, as well as EFA's such as fish oil, flax oil and olive oil.
forgive my ignorance but how do i apply the oils or are they pills i give?? also what type of food does everyone feed??

·
Registered
529 Posts
forgive my ignorance but how do i apply the oils or are they pills i give?? also what type of food does everyone feed??
lol, sorry.....fish oil comes in gel caps, flax is best purchased bottled....I would give 2 fish oil caps per day initially (pierce and squeeze onto food) and watch the coat, when better down to one....flax or olive oil added at 1 tbsp per day....as for food, oh boy, you'll get a million comments!....I now feed raw, but you can find some high quality dry foods like Orijen that will offer great benefit to overall health and dramatically improve coat and skin.....

·
Registered
47 Posts
ok, i got the pill thing down and will get some and start it. the food you named i have never even heard of,lol. as for the raw, are you talking about raw meat?? i thought that was supposed to be bad for animals. i have always bought the large bags at like walmart, is pedigree a good one?

·
Registered
529 Posts
ok, i got the pill thing down and will get some and start it. the food you named i have never even heard of,lol. as for the raw, are you talking about raw meat?? i thought that was supposed to be bad for animals. i have always bought the large bags at like walmart, is pedigree a good one?
since we're starting to hijack this thread, I will refer you to the Diet and Nutrition and BARF/Raw Feeding sections and ask you to take a look....I will tell you now, pedigree is very poor and generally anything at stores like Walmart are going to be sub-par and nutrient deficient foods. I do encourage you to take a look in those sections, there are a great deal of knowledgeable people here who can help, but you also need to educate yourself about the digestive system of dogs, ingredients in dog food and how to select a better diet for your dog....good luck to you, it's not as scary as it sounds and the benefits you will see make it worthwhile.

PS yes, it is raw meat, no, it's not bad for dogs lol

·
Registered
47 Posts
thanks ill take a look. i too saw that we, mostly i had started to jack a good thread that id like to see stay on course for the good info it contains....i just have so many questions,lol.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts