German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! I have a 13 week old male GSD. He is a long stock coat and his coat is coming fast. What grooming supplies do you recommend and why? We have everything under the sun for him- boat bristle, rake combs, furminator, regular brush... some he hates, some he tolerates. Thanks!!

·
Registered
902 Posts
Be careful using a furminator. A furminator can cut the top coat if used incorrectly. As a groomer I do not use it on double coated breeds. A good slicker and rake should do the job.

If you go to Denise Fenzi's FB page and scroll through, she has some videos posted of working on grooming with her new puppy.

·
Registered
9,558 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,730 Posts
I use the Chris Christensen Big K brush on my GSDs. It’s pricy ($64) but amazing.

Reactions: Sunflowers

·
Super Moderator
5,730 Posts
The T brush that Sunflowers posted is also really good (the first link).

·
Registered
6,428 Posts
What's the best way to take care of the hair behind the ears?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Be careful using a furminator. A furminator can cut the top coat if used incorrectly. As a groomer I do not use it on double coated breeds. A good slicker and rake should do the job.

If you go to Denise Fenzi's FB page and scroll through, she has some videos posted of working on grooming with her new puppy.
Thank you!! We used the furminator once and be healthy hated it. I wasn’t a fan. So it’s basically sat for about 3 weeks. I’ll check out her page, thanks!! :)

·
Super Moderator
5,730 Posts
What's the best way to take care of the hair behind the ears?
I don’t personally have a coated dog, but at work I use a conditioning spray (like iGroom’s Silicone-free 3-1 spray) and a slicker to get tangles out. Mats can be sprayed with this magical spray from Artero called Matt-X. Then worked out with a slicker and a comb. I love products!

·
Super Moderator
5,730 Posts
While I’m talking about products, I love love love the All in One leave-in conditioner by Quadruped. It cuts the drying time by about 30%. So nice on their skin and coat. It has yucca in it. Seriously its so wonderful that we use it in every dog that comes in our grooming shop. I use it on Scarlet and Russell, and their coats are really nice. To shampoo I use one of the Quadruped shampoos, or a really nice mild shampoo from Envirogroom called Gentle Clean.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don’t personally have a coated dog, but at work I use a conditioning spray (like iGroom’s Silicone-free 3-1 spray) and a slicker to get tangles out. Mats can be sprayed with this magical spray from Artero called Matt-X. Then worked out with a slicker and a comb. I love products!
Do you know if these products can be purchased in Canada?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Super Moderator
5,730 Posts
Reactions: Javidan3
1 - 12 of 12 Posts