German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really want to be able to brush my puppy, at 12 weeks old her adult coat is coming in and it's very thick and coarse, especially on her hind legs. I want her to get used to this while she's young, but she thinks the brush is a toy and is constantly trying to steal it from me and chew on it. I've had some success distracting her with a tasty chew, but not always, is there a way to teach her that grooming time is not play time?

·
Registered
978 Posts
Set up a routine. Mine learn to stand on a grooming table and I'll just reward that and maybe do a few swipes with the brush. they also get use to being restrained by a grooming loop, though after I while I don't have to use it anymore. Baby steps are key. You will NOT be able to do a full brushing at first, maybe a minute or two and then quit while you are ahead or else it becomes a battle and both you and the puppy hate it. If you really need to work on something get help, someone to distract and feed or else wait for you pup to crash and brush while they are sleeping/sleepy.

My GSD loves to be brushed. As a pup he did think it was a game, but he got past that once he learned what I wanted.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lol, what's sleepy? If she's out of her crate, she's ready to play. Only exception is our 2 am potty runs, when I still sometimes have to carry her because she's so drowsy. I'll try the table I have outside, probably better to brush her out there anyway.

·
Registered
10,079 Posts
Hahahah, I remember those days.
I had to brush him, super quickly, next to the sliding glass door, after I smeared peanut butter on it.:grin2:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts