German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Fiancé and I adopted a beautiful 5 year old GSD last night named Rocky. I am just curious as to how often I should get him groomed. He is and inside/outside dog and we live in Florida. I am just afraid of him getting to hot outside during the day. We have a pool with a beach but we aren't really sure if he would even get in to cool off. ImageUploadedByPG Free1374155441.920859.jpg

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Attachments

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
That's not a longhaired GSD, thank your lucky stars. He looks like what some call a "plush coat", short, but thick. Brush him early and often with a soft slicker brush, and bathe him whenever necessary. If the shedding gets to be overwhelming even with daily brushing, take him to a professional groomer--they have tools and tricks to remove about 90% of the shedding hair.

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
No worry if he will get in your pool or not, if he has access to the water he will enjoy it for sure. He is a handsome boy, thanks for sharing him with us.

·
Registered
230 Posts
That's not a longhaired GSD, thank your lucky stars. He looks like what some call a "plush coat", short, but thick. Brush him early and often with a soft slicker brush, and bathe him whenever necessary. If the shedding gets to be overwhelming even with daily brushing, take him to a professional groomer--they have tools and tricks to remove about 90% of the shedding hair.
Hi Freestep, you say "thank your lucky stars" about it not being a longhaired GSD, why? The puppy that is currently a fit for me in my breeders current litter may be a coatie (not sure). I haven't been looking for a coatie, but as far as looks go, I wouldn't have a problem with this (the idea is starting to grow on me actually :) ). Is there something else that I should be worrying about though? Is it just harder to groom?

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i groom my dog 3 to 4 times a week. i use an undercoat comb
and a pin brush. i had a coatie and his grooming schedule was
the same. if it's to hot for your dog to be outside bring him
inside and lower the ac and you come inside and enjoy the
ac also. lol.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
there's nothing to worry about with having a coatie and it's
nothing hard about grooming a coatie. i think Freestep is
referring to all of the shedding with a coatie. after i brush my dog
i take all of the fur put it where the birds can find it so they use
it for their nests.

Hi

>>>>> Freestep, you say "thank your lucky stars" about it not being a longhaired GSD, why?<<<<<

The puppy that is currently a fit for me in my breeders current litter may be a coatie (not sure). I haven't been looking for a coatie, but as far as looks go, I wouldn't have a problem with this (the idea is starting to grow on me actually :) ).

>>>>> Is there something else that I should be worrying about though? Is it just harder to groom?<<<<<

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
Hi Freestep, you say "thank your lucky stars" about it not being a longhaired GSD, why? The puppy that is currently a fit for me in my breeders current litter may be a coatie (not sure). I haven't been looking for a coatie, but as far as looks go, I wouldn't have a problem with this (the idea is starting to grow on me actually :) ). Is there something else that I should be worrying about though? Is it just harder to groom?
Coaties have a lot more hair, therefore more hair to brush, bathe, and keep clean and mat-free. Coaties will tend to pick up stickers, burrs, and other debris in that long hair. Whereas a short coat will shed this debris very easily, that stuff will stick to a longcoat. Coaties will tangle and mat if not kept immaculately groomed. It's just more work, that's all, and since I groom other people's dogs all day long, the last thing I want to do at the end of the day is groom my own dogs! Therefore, I prefer short stock coats. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts