German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have one, or experience with the breed?

Can you compare to GSD?

Friend wants one, they have had a Bouvier before.

Thanks

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
The people who we go to for herding raise them. I have met them a few times and seen them work the sheep. Great breed. I don't have much experience with them personally other than that, but from what I see, I like.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
I had a good friend I trained obedience with for years who competed in AKC obedience with them. I liked the breed, but they are a bit sharp/shy. When we would travel together, they would always seem a bit unsettled and nervous. They were flashy in obedience though, and fun to watch when they were in the ring. I do recall that more she did have more than one "debarked" which always confused me.

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies.

Not sure it's the breed for them because I know they won't do a ton of exercising?

Am I right, or are there more mellow lines out there?

·
Registered
245 Posts
I haven't seen one of those in a long time. There was one in our 4-H club when I was in middle school. She started when she was about 6 months old and was always very social and listened well. This was the girl's first dog when she was 12. Always a good sign when a dog is easily trained by a 12 year old. She was also gorgeous.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i think the Groenendael and the Tervueren are the same dog.
when it's black it's called a Groenendael. i've been around both.
the ones i've been around were well trained an socialized.

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks doggiedad.

Seems you are right.

But in looking into this, the Malinois is also the same?

I know they couldn't handle a Mal...

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
Like pretty much getting a GSD, it's not about the dog you are looking for, it's about the BREEDER. A good breeder who understands a potential new owner will be able to truthfully recommend one of their pups and the best match for their background/experience.

Or they will NOT recommend one of their pups but give other hints/tips/suggestion for either another breeder or breed.

:paw:

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Like pretty much getting a GSD, it's not about the dog you are looking for, it's about the BREEDER. A good breeder who understands a potential new owner will be able to truthfully recommend one of their pups and the best match for their background/experience.

Or they will NOT recommend one of their pups but give other hints/tips/suggestion for either another breeder or breed.

:paw:
:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
The Mal, the Terv and the Groenendale were interbred at one time but the breeds were divided into 3 distinctive breeds in the 50's or 60's. (I'm pulling this from memory of what my friend told me). In the 80's I read a book called "Best Friend" in which the main character gets a Belgian Shepherd that is basically telepathic. The dog in the book was named Beau Brummel and at one point it manages to murder the heroines jerk of a husband by tripping him and making him fall down the stairs LOL. The book discussed the history of the breeds at length, but it was a book after all :D.
The 3 breeds have changed from each other since the division. Even since the 80's they have diverged even further.
Like everyone says, the secret is finding the best breeder for your situation.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Depends on the lines and how you socialize them. Genetics are key. Choose wisely because the 'bad' ones can be low threshold, nervy, and reactive. Not a good combination. Very very 'fast' dogs in all things. Love to work and sweet dogs to their owners.

I will have a working line belgian shepherd of some variety (I like the KNPV line malinois) for the rest of my life. One of my favorite breeds. NOT a bouvier. Very very different.

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good information. Thank you!

Anyone know breeders?

·
Registered
115 Posts
The Belgian Shepherd Dog is separated into breeds in the US. Mainly because the non fuzzies don't want to compete against the fuzzies in the show ring. You can get a lot of Tervs pop out of otherwise normal Mal litters. This is also where the "new novelty black Malinois" comes from. It is simply a throwback short coated Groenendael.

Look for a breeder that works their dogs, the majority of those are more stable and less sharp / nervy. They are very loyal family dogs, but yes, also very active.

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
Belgian Shepherds: What's Good About 'Em? What's Bad About 'Em? some more information.

I would really, really look at temperament - I think one of the first fear dog websites I found way back was started because of the person's Belgian...you constantly hear it about them.

Belgian sheepdog | Canine Inherited Disorders Database | University of Prince Edward Island some health stuff

http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/pictures-pictures-pictures/143156-my-guys-mal-laeken-ds.html blackpuppy may have some ideas
agilegsd I believe is also a person to check with. Not agilegsds - that's Sandy in Illinois.

Also, some have extremely narrow faces - not sure what that is about. It just bugs me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts