German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Madix is getting chemical burns between his toes from the nasty salt they use at my apartment complex. Which is then further aggravated at Flyball practice from turning/stopping quickly etc. He's limping :(

I'm interested in getting some booties that will last and also that I could use this summer while I condition his feet for running on pavement next to my bike (hoping to go for our AD this summer or Fall).

My question is - which kind works best and is the most worth the money (b/c they cost as much as my hiking shoes cost!!!)??

Bark'n Boots Skyliner

Bark'n Boots Grip Trex

All-Weather Muttluks

Obviously, very much desired to be quick/easy on/off since it will have to be each time I take him out to potty. The eaves are dripping horribly on the top step of the porch and it is an ice SLICK and they salt it ALL the time - unavoidable.

·
Registered
252 Posts
haha nevermind... completely misread that. Thought the post was for boots for you and not your dog at first.

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
If you need an all-around boot to use for several things, go with the GripTrex.

The Skyliner boot is really designed for the "urban" dog to go on walks. They don't provide the same traction sole as the GripTrex that you would want for hiking or playing flyball. And the Muttlucks, in my experience, turn over and come off way too easily, plus they don't have that nice, grippy rubber sole the GripTrex have.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I agree. I had a set of the Grip Trex for my terrier. They provide excellent traction and protection and are very sturdy. The Skyliner and Muttluks don't provide a lot of traction and I've heard the Muttluks come off easily.
If you buy the Ruffwear boots it might be good to buy the boot liners they sell too.

If it was just for protection from salt, I'd say go with Pawz disposable boots. They work well for that purpose, are really easy to get on and off, and don't bother dogs as much because it's just a thin layer. Most dogs take some time getting used to other types of boots and may dislike them a lot because they feel weird and prevent the dog from being able to feel the ground.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts