German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just went out yesterday and purchased some 2# ground and frozen food for my 2 GSD's. I drove about an hour and all they had was beef chicken & turkey so I bought 30lbs for around $115.00. Now I know I need/want much more of a variety than what I found so now I have to travel a bit farther some other day to see what someone else has to offer.

If you had nothing but time would you spend $100-$125.00 for a electric meat grinder that will grind pretty much anything you need it to and grind your own dog food. I am just thinking of what I could save and have the benefit of knowing exactly what my dogs are eating.

If anybody has done this or is still doing it please let me know your thoughts. I personally have plenty of time to grind food for my girls so if I am missing something like the cost of adding supplements or anything I might need to know please let me know your thoughts.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
I just went out yesterday and purchased some 2# ground and frozen food for my 2 GSD's. I drove about an hour and all they had was beef chicken & turkey so I bought 30lbs for around $115.00. Now I know I need/want much more of a variety than what I found so now I have to travel a bit farther some other day to see what someone else has to offer.

If you had nothing but time would you spend $100-$125.00 for a electric meat grinder that will grind pretty much anything you need it to and grind your own dog food. I am just thinking of what I could save and have the benefit of knowing exactly what my dogs are eating.

If anybody has done this or is still doing it please let me know your thoughts. I personally have plenty of time to grind food for my girls so if I am missing something like the cost of adding supplements or anything I might need to know please let me know your thoughts.
I got a grinder as a gift to do this. Make sure the grinder you get can grind bone. Some will not.

Here is my thread on it:

http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/b-r-f-raw-feeding/147670-our-new-meat-grinder-results.html

I'm going to put a video of the whole process on line in just a bit.

·
Registered
31,994 Posts
I spent the money for a new grinder. I don't need to grind Jax's food but do need to grind Banshee's (senior with bad teeth). If your GSD's teeth are in good condition then there is no reason to grind it. In fact, it will clean their teeth up a bit. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts