German Shepherds Forum banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts
That's wonderful, Patti!

I think Val is probably right that you've stumbled on your answer for Grimm. Sometimes when we encounter a serious issue with our dogs we unconsciously gird ourselves up when the likelihood of its reoccurrence is at hand. Dogs, of course, sense this and they do what they do because you expect it. Taking Grimm issue to someone else's hands for the moment has apparently defused this. So yes, now he's understanding other dogs off leash. You should let him get comfortable with that and then start with the on leash work again.

That is one stunning pup - WOW! No wonder that lady fell in love with him.

That is wonderful news for Grimm! Maybe he could continue to go there once a week (if she can't train) to continue to socialize and get used to other dogs. I think maybe Grimm was reading the anxiety you were feeling while taking him out and about this whole issue of his. Sounds like you guys are on the right path though. Good Luck!!

Great news!!! Could this lovely, stately blonde have the last name of Reinhardt?? First name Clarissa???

If so - this is the trainer I was telling you about way back in one of your original posts. If not, then she has a clone! Clarissa does work with animal protection and assists them with thier training programs so it may be they were taught by her.

I was priveleged to attend Clarissa's first US appearance last June at Legacy Canine in Washington State. She is truly a positive trainer and considered the Karen Pryor of Germany.

Hope Grimm has found his trainer and you - some help.

Wishing the best for the surgery.

What a terrific picture of Grimm--thank you! He certainly looks very happy.

Grimm is a very fortunate dog to be so dearly loved and cared for by his human family. Congratulations on finding the excellent training opportunity for Grimm; it seems to be exactly what he needs.

Good thoughts and prayers are on the way for Ulrich's health.

Discussion starter · #29 ·
SCANDAL! Grimm at doggycamp

Red hot juicy scandal!! I just heard from Ulrich (we are temporarily home from the lung hospital-- his surgery will be next Friday) that the woman who runs the doggy hotel & shelter has been socializing Grimm with other dogs DAILY!
The woman said that at first, Grimm really did not know how to behave or what to do around other dogs.
But now... he is 'one of the gang!'

Every day, Grimm goes out to play in a group. He goes running in the woods with the woman and a 1 year old dog and a 1.5 year old dog. Plus, Grimmi gets to play in a GROUP. Also, he gets to go SWIMMING with a group of dogs! Anyway, he has 1 hour per day being with other dogs. He also has 3 hours per day, 2X per day, running free by himself in a big grassy fenced area, where he can see other dogs in their big grassy fenced areas.

This wonderful woman running the doggy hotel & shelter ADORES Grimm. She asked if we might consider selling him.
You can well guess our answer to that!!
Unfortunately, Grimm has sensed this woman's weakness for big hunky GSDs, and has stealthily snowed her into thinking that he, "GrimmPiggy," couldn't possibly eat a bite without her staying RIGHT THERE BY HIM. I had no idea GSDs were such skilled manipulators!

Anyway, Ulrich will need to go back to the clinic next Thursday for lung surgery Friday. We have decided to allow Grimm to remain 'at camp' this week. The cost of bringing him home from the doggy hotel, then returning him, would be more than 80 Euros in taxi fare. To allow him to enjoy staying there are learning to be a dog, would cost us only 45 Euros.

I miss Piggy so much. I am however so relieved that he is learning to be a dog and how to have good doggy manners-- something I had no resources to teach him myself! In total, Grimm will have 4 weeks away at doggy camp learning to interact with other dogs!

Discussion starter · #31 ·
Thank you, Holly that is so sweet of you! Ulrich sends his thanks as well!

Discussion starter · #33 ·
C'mon over, Miss Risa HappySmile!
There's plenty of cow pies to roll around in at doggy day camp for everyone!!

That sounds like such a great experience for him! And hopefully YOU too, once you get back your new and improved Grimm! Sounds like you might have to fight her for him though, lol!

Patti, I am so happy for you guys. It sounds like you found the perfect place to help Grimm.

Good luck to Ulrich on his upcoming surgery/recovery.

Discussion starter · #36 ·
Thank you, CassidysMom and Amaruq!! Ulrich sends his love to you guys.. the forum really was in his mind when we were at the clinic fo biopsy... he couldn't believe people could be so caring!

Yup, last report is that Grimm is enjoying rolling in crud with a group of other dogs of similar size during his recess playtimes! I can NOT believe this.. this woman is giving him something i have been unable to give Grimm-- a chance to learn to be a dog!

You are both so wonderful. Even in the face of major surgery you are revelling in the wonderful adventures of Grimm - you are truly special people.

All the best for you and Ulrich over the next few weeks. At least Grimm's progress will not be a concern.

Discussion starter · #40 ·
Thank you, Jamie, Qyn and Cindi. I am just flummoxed that Grimm is getting doggy-socialized there, when I thought we were just leaving him in a doggy hotel. It's because it is adjacent to an animal shelter on the same property, and because of this wonderful, caring woman who has taken a shine to Grimmi. Funniest though, is that he has her bamboozled enough to think that he won't possibly eat (his nickname is PiggyPiggyPiggy) unless she stands RIGHT BY HIM.

For those of us with nerdy dogs needing to learn how to 'be dogs,' maybe you can understand the relief and happiness I am feeling about what this fantastic lady is doing with Grimm, giving him an hour per day to run free with other dogs and learn... uh.. doggyness!

21 - 40 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.