German Shepherds Forum banner

Grimm has a GIRLFRIEND!

5K views 42 replies 22 participants last post by  Dakota 
#1 ·
I am so excited I can hardly type!! WOW!!
For anyone following Grimm's story: He has been grossly under-socialized with other dogs, and has been dog-reactive. I have actually been in danger at times trying to walk him in our new dog-crowded town of Schweinfurt, Germany-- as he has barked and lunged at times. My inner sense was always that this was mainly unfamiliarity with other dogs, but also a little bit 'hey... it would be fun to cause a ruckus, watch me!' Anyway, we were at the end of our ropes trying to find training help for Grimm. The trainer with the live-in program we were going to try, was TERRIFIED of GSDs, Dobes, any of "The pointy-eared breeds." This 'trainer' cowered and shrank back as Grimm, ears lowered down in polite puppy submission, forehead smooth, head lowered, mouth softly grinning, tail gently feathering, came forward to lick his hands.

So, Ulrich must have a lung removed this week due to early stage lung cancer-- and I must stay at the distant clinic with him. So.. we found a doggy hotel run by the animal protection society, for Grimm to stay at... and we could find a trainer when we get back from the lung hospital.

Last night at the doggy hotel, Grimm was a MONSTER getting out of the car as he heard and smelled other dogs in the runs of the adjacent animal shelter. He nearly dragged me.

When we got inside finally, a tall, charismatic blonde German woman set eyes upon Grimmi, and seized Grimm in an embrace. He flirted shamelessly.
Hammishly hogging the limelight, he worked his charms to get her to have him sit and down for cookies.
It was mutual LOVE.
We mentioned that he was trained for the basics, but that we never had a chance for him to meet any other dogs, so we need a trainer to help us with that ASAP when we get back.

We saw Grimm's scandalously luxurious, posh accomodations: a heated single room with a window, a deluxe human-type mattress sized for a dog, a soft, folded clean blanket, a window, and a doggy door to a private outdoor run of his own.
PLUS-- 3 hours per day in a huge grassy outdoors turn out area. PLUS-- walkies on lead by experienced girls he can flirt with shamelessly.

On bringing Grimm to his new hotel room, we had to pass a gauntlet of barking dogs in their rooms along the narrow passageway. Grimm walked calmly, didn't say a peep. He just then happily went into his nice new hotel room, and drank some fresh water, ran to explore his outdoor area.

We rang the doggyhotel today. The Grimm-friendly blonde woman sensibly, carefully, introduced Grimm (then later offlead) to an older, calm female dog!!!!!!!!! Grimm was unsure at first, but after a few moments-- THEY PLAYED!!!!! The woman stayed with the two dogs, and had staff nearby also. But, Grimm and the older female dog just had a great time playing and being silly!

Then... she leashed Grimm, and walked him through a double-line of leashed dogs who were told to hold the 'sit' command as Grimm walked through the center of the group. He did SUPER!!

Then.. she carefully, watchfully, with staff nearby-- put Grimm Grimm (onlead then offlead) with a friendly, goofy 8 month old puppy, and... Grimm played crazy-silly-goofy puppy games with him!!!!!

Every day for the next two weeks, this ANGEL of a woman will be working with Grimm around other dog-friendly dogs. Plus, in his posh accomodations, he will see, hear, and smell other dogs every day and evening.

We will find someone (possibly this wonderful woman) to work with ME with Grimm after we return from the lung clinic. This way, we can correct any ways that I myself may be controbuting to problems walking Grimm by other dogs.

Basicly, the 'Wow' factor is being removed for Grimm re the mystery of other dogs and being able to be calm around them!!!

See less See more
Discussion starter · #9 ·
The clandestine, romantic meeting took place in a lovely grassy glade... the soft music of woofing nearby... the scent of Bratwurst on the breeze..

This is a GODSEND!! Totally unexpected help with Grimm's remedial resocialization!!!
I am hoping at the end of his stay to hear he had more successful, positive doggy dates and meet-ups!
I had NO idea anyone would take so much trouble to help Grimm over this.. these are animal protection society folks who run the shelter and doggy hotel. What a HUGE surprise that this kind woman would take an interest in Grimmi's issues and WORK with him!!

Even if she does no more work with him for his 2 week stay, I am hoping Grimm would make positive improvements just being around other dogs 24/7.. that has to take some of the 'Wow factor' out of it for Grimm, at least.

After Grimm's stay there, I may ask the woman to work with Grimm for a week, if she has time available, and just work on this resocialization issue specificly.

I am so happy for Grimm!!!

Discussion starter · #11 ·
Thanks, Jean-- this could be the start of something positive for Grimm!

Discussion starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the input, Ruth.. your experience and input means so much to me. Yes, I am thrilled! I am unsure if she will work anymore with Grimm re putting him again with other dogs.. as he is just a hotel guest, but what she has done so sensibly, makes me think i will ask when we return from the lung clinic in 2 weeks.. if she will please work with Grimm if we board him there again specificly for this re-socialization. Maybe just being around dogs , smelling and hearing them if not seeing them often, will help him accept and not be so anxious about the mystery of dogs.

Discussion starter · #17 ·
Thank you Castlemaid you always know just what to say in doggy training conundrums
I am really hopeful!

-- and THANK YOU Lynne! Ulrich read that over my shoulder.. he feels honored to be thought of!

Discussion starter · #29 ·
SCANDAL! Grimm at doggycamp

Red hot juicy scandal!! I just heard from Ulrich (we are temporarily home from the lung hospital-- his surgery will be next Friday) that the woman who runs the doggy hotel & shelter has been socializing Grimm with other dogs DAILY!
The woman said that at first, Grimm really did not know how to behave or what to do around other dogs.
But now... he is 'one of the gang!'

Every day, Grimm goes out to play in a group. He goes running in the woods with the woman and a 1 year old dog and a 1.5 year old dog. Plus, Grimmi gets to play in a GROUP. Also, he gets to go SWIMMING with a group of dogs! Anyway, he has 1 hour per day being with other dogs. He also has 3 hours per day, 2X per day, running free by himself in a big grassy fenced area, where he can see other dogs in their big grassy fenced areas.

This wonderful woman running the doggy hotel & shelter ADORES Grimm. She asked if we might consider selling him.
You can well guess our answer to that!!
Unfortunately, Grimm has sensed this woman's weakness for big hunky GSDs, and has stealthily snowed her into thinking that he, "GrimmPiggy," couldn't possibly eat a bite without her staying RIGHT THERE BY HIM. I had no idea GSDs were such skilled manipulators!

Anyway, Ulrich will need to go back to the clinic next Thursday for lung surgery Friday. We have decided to allow Grimm to remain 'at camp' this week. The cost of bringing him home from the doggy hotel, then returning him, would be more than 80 Euros in taxi fare. To allow him to enjoy staying there are learning to be a dog, would cost us only 45 Euros.

I miss Piggy so much. I am however so relieved that he is learning to be a dog and how to have good doggy manners-- something I had no resources to teach him myself! In total, Grimm will have 4 weeks away at doggy camp learning to interact with other dogs!

Discussion starter · #31 ·
Thank you, Holly that is so sweet of you! Ulrich sends his thanks as well!

Discussion starter · #33 ·
C'mon over, Miss Risa HappySmile!
There's plenty of cow pies to roll around in at doggy day camp for everyone!!

Discussion starter · #36 ·
Thank you, CassidysMom and Amaruq!! Ulrich sends his love to you guys.. the forum really was in his mind when we were at the clinic fo biopsy... he couldn't believe people could be so caring!

Yup, last report is that Grimm is enjoying rolling in crud with a group of other dogs of similar size during his recess playtimes! I can NOT believe this.. this woman is giving him something i have been unable to give Grimm-- a chance to learn to be a dog!

Discussion starter · #40 ·
Thank you, Jamie, Qyn and Cindi. I am just flummoxed that Grimm is getting doggy-socialized there, when I thought we were just leaving him in a doggy hotel. It's because it is adjacent to an animal shelter on the same property, and because of this wonderful, caring woman who has taken a shine to Grimmi. Funniest though, is that he has her bamboozled enough to think that he won't possibly eat (his nickname is PiggyPiggyPiggy) unless she stands RIGHT BY HIM.

For those of us with nerdy dogs needing to learn how to 'be dogs,' maybe you can understand the relief and happiness I am feeling about what this fantastic lady is doing with Grimm, giving him an hour per day to run free with other dogs and learn... uh.. doggyness!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.