German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I didn't notice there were some grey on the muzzle of my dog until some lady at the park mention it. She asked if she was around 5 or 6 years old. Someone on another forum also mention that she's at least 2 or 3. However, my cousin the original owner of Yula, told me she's only 1 1/2 years old. After that lady told me, I took a closer look and did notice that she has a little grey on her muzzle. Is it normal for such a young dog to have grey on their muzzle? I read a thread on here http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/take-poll/111460-white-grey-muzzles-anyone-2.html
Do they lack proteins or vitamins that could cause this or it just depends on some dogs. I have been feeding her raw and boiled eggs and raw deer neck bones.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
i know some dogs grey early and then there are the dogs who grey early because of stress/anxiety. It could also be a lack in their diet but i've not personally heard of that one. I know Riley is 6 years old and started greying when he was about 4. Zena was grey when we adopted her she was about 3 or 4 years old. Shelby is a year and a half and i've noticed some grey on her muzzle. I'm not sure how i would explain it. Like some people grey early, some dogs do to.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
I can see just a few white hairs on the very end of Niko's muzzle, around his mouth. He's about a year and a half old (very well fed, not stressed out).

·
Registered
5,725 Posts
Rorie started going grey when she was 2 and Anja is 10 and not grey-just like some people go grey early -I think

·
Registered
626 Posts
DJ will be 4 in February and his muzzle is turning gray. He then has a gray skunk stripe down the middle of his saddle which I under stand maybe due to being neutered at an early age. :confused:

·
Registered
330 Posts
Zeb has a little gotee of grey and he's only 2 1/2. Like ZKoppa said, just like people, smoe dogs prolly just grey early.

·
2,967 Posts
Not uncommon. Some dogs go more gray than others, and I think it works like others have said- genetics or sometimes stress.

My 3 year old is pretty gray on the muzzle. He started going gray at about 1.5 years. He also has a pretty dark mask so it shows up pretty strongly. I have other dogs that are related to him although they are younger and they all started showing some gray around 1.5-2years.

His Dad had a lot of gray too.

My 8 year old on the other hand has very little gray.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
One of my GSDs started graying at 1 to 2 years old and is fairly gray as an old dog. The other one is the same age and barely has any gray on her at all. It's a genetic trait and nothing to be concerned over - doesn't mean they are aging rapidly or anything :)

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
I used to have a GSD, JR, who was completely gray when I got him at 5-1/2 years old. The friend who gave him to me also gave me one of his sons and daughters. Ringer was starting to get gray on his muzzle when he was about a year old, Honey started turning gray before she was two. I have one of JR's great/great/great grandsons and Slider didn't start to gray until just before his 8th birthday.

·
Registered
906 Posts
My other dog has a little grey chin! She's only 4..sounds like this is pretty common!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you guys, that made me feel much better. I'm guessing she's adjusting to my place, so she is a little bit stress out.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm so glad this seems to be a common occurrence, I have adopted a working dog and have been trying to work out how old he is, obviously the grey muzzle is nothing to go on lol

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
My puppy that I got at 7 weeks already had a white spot on his chin. See it right below his tongue? His father has it too. It will probably spread as he ages.

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
DJ will be 4 in February and his muzzle is turning gray. He then has a gray skunk stripe down the middle of his saddle which I under stand maybe due to being neutered at an early age. :confused:
Gray skunk stripe is common, has nothing to do with neutering. :D
Mine has had the stripe and a gray chin since puppyhood.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts