German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Look at this little goober!

So far he’s showing exactly what we’d hoped for and breeder told us he’d be, very balanced pup. He’s taken to us like he’s always been ours and he’s doing well with our GSD, mostly taking things in stride.

He wolfed down his dinner like a vacuum, I had to take it away from him and stick a couple tennis balls in there to slow him down. He’s resting in his crate next to me as I type this and hardly made a peep before going to sleep. Little guy is tuckered OUT!

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Let’s try this again

Attachments

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
He seems to be okay with this whole “crate” thing :grin2:

Attachments

Reactions: DorianGrayFFM

·
Premium Member
1,535 Posts
What a handsome little guy he is. You are going to have SO much fun with him!
Now that I have both a GSD and a Mal, I can't imagine life without one of each. :)

·
Registered
7,234 Posts
Beautiful pup!

Now that I have both a GSD and a Mal, I can't imagine life without one of each. :)
How does your mal do with colder winter weather? I'm giving them serious consideration down the road, but most appear to have such a short tight coat I'm wondering how they do in the frigid stuff. One of my gsds has a very tight coat and she does fine, I would think mals would be about the same?

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
I have long-coat malinois (tervuren in Europe... should be here but I digress), and also a short coat malinois. My short coat does really well in the cold, even below zero. I've never seen her shiver and don't use a coat. The plus is her feet never collect snowballs like my long-coated dogs do under certain conditions (new, cold snow tends to do it).

I love the long-coats, though, and am importing a really nice female pup out of a working terv kennel this summer. Her Dad is a working K9 in the Netherlands (PH-1), and her grand-dad is also (PH-1). Such beautiful dogs, and I'd recommend a working line tervuren (that is just a long-coat malinois) if you want a really cold-tolerant malinois. The long-coat gene is sorta recessive- not complete in my experience, so they often pop up in malinois litters especially in certain lines.

My female long-coat malinois:

Runningwithstick_zpsb3e84b90 photo Runningwithstick_zpsb3e84b90-1_zpsde24f4c6.jpg" media="(max-width: 640px)"> Runningwithstick_zpsb3e84b90 photo Runningwithstick_zpsb3e84b90-1_zpsde24f4c6.jpg" media="(max-width: 960px)"> Runningwithstick_zpsb3e84b90 photo Runningwithstick_zpsb3e84b90-1_zpsde24f4c6.jpg" media="(max-width: 1920px)">

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
I would think a physically fit short coat Mal would resemble my first own dog after I moved out of my parents house. He was half Greyhound and half GSD. His ears stood and he was brindle like a tiger. Do such Mals exist? My dog, Netty Bumpo, had the very soft temperment of the Greyhound. A Mal would not have this :D

·
Premium Member
1,535 Posts
Beautiful pup!

Now that I have both a GSD and a Mal, I can't imagine life without one of each. /forum/images/smilies/smile.gif
How does your mal do with colder winter weather? I'm giving them serious consideration down the road, but most appear to have such a short tight coat I'm wondering how they do in the frigid stuff. One of my gsds has a very tight coat and she does fine, I would think mals would be about the same?
When I first got him, in February 2017, he was NOT amused by the change of temperature from the breeder in Florida to his new Indiana home, lol. On the plus side, when he was being potty trained and we were out at 2:00 am, he did his business quickly and we went right back inside. :D
Now that he has grown up and gotten used to the weather here, he does fine outside even when it's cold and windy. I've never seen him shake or act cold, but he does have a dog house in his outside kennel if he should need it.

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks! We’re really excited, our GSDs definitely my wife’s dog now and he’s mine.

It ain’t easy at the moment, so it’s nice to hear we aren’t the only ones crazy enough to try this :rofl:

What kennel do you have? I want to get one for him.

·
Registered
7,234 Posts
I have long-coat malinois (tervuren in Europe... should be here but I digress), and also a short coat malinois. My short coat does really well in the cold, even below zero. I've never seen her shiver and don't use a coat. The plus is her feet never collect snowballs like my long-coated dogs do under certain conditions (new, cold snow tends to do it).

I love the long-coats, though, and am importing a really nice female pup out of a working terv kennel this summer. Her Dad is a working K9 in the Netherlands (PH-1), and her grand-dad is also (PH-1). Such beautiful dogs, and I'd recommend a working line tervuren (that is just a long-coat malinois) if you want a really cold-tolerant malinois. The long-coat gene is sorta recessive- not complete in my experience, so they often pop up in malinois litters especially in certain lines.

My female long-coat malinois:

Runningwithstick_zpsb3e84b90 photo Runningwithstick_zpsb3e84b90-1_zpsde24f4c6.jpg" media="(max-width: 640px)"> Runningwithstick_zpsb3e84b90 photo Runningwithstick_zpsb3e84b90-1_zpsde24f4c6.jpg" media="(max-width: 960px)"> Runningwithstick_zpsb3e84b90 photo Runningwithstick_zpsb3e84b90-1_zpsde24f4c6.jpg" media="(max-width: 1920px)">
LC are beautiful but a bit more work imop. We've had two LC's until recently, now it's just our coated WL male. I prefer the wash and wear of a stock coat. I know of a couple mals from our club with a little thicker coat, not all that different from my stock coat female GSD, but most mals I've met look very tight and it got me curious about them. I know there are some dobes that are not fond of the cold and wasn't sure if this would be true with some mals as well.

Sorry for the off topic OP.

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
LC are beautiful but a bit more work imop. We've had two LC's until recently, now it's just our coated WL male. I prefer the wash and wear of a stock coat. I know of a couple mals from our club with a little thicker coat, not all that different from my stock coat female GSD, but most mals I've met look very tight and it got me curious about them. I know there are some dobes that are not fond of the cold and wasn't sure if this would be true with some mals as well.

Sorry for the off topic OP.
Not at all!!

I was just going to say that our pups sire is what I'll call a "rough coat". Living here in the South we have the exact opposite concerns and wanted a Mal specifically because of the short coat. Our GSD get's so hot in the summer we feel terrible and it's a pain to manage.

Here's the parents & one of the "rough coat" pups, might be some Lakenois blood in there? I dunno he's from KNPV lineage so it could be a bit of anything.

Attachments

Reactions: Nigel

·
Registered
7,234 Posts
Not at all!!

I was just going to say that our pups sire is what I'll call a "rough coat". Living here in the South we have the exact opposite concerns and wanted a Mal specifically because of the short coat. Our GSD get's so hot in the summer we feel terrible and it's a pain to manage.

Here's the parents & one of the "rough coat" pups, might be some Lakenois blood in there? I dunno he's from KNPV lineage so it could be a bit of anything.
mine are no fans of hot weather either, but I wilt just as fast as they do so its all good. For our "generally" two months of hot weather it's swimming, early am's, and going up in elevation to find relief, lol

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
I would think a physically fit short coat Mal would resemble my first own dog after I moved out of my parents house. He was half Greyhound and half GSD. His ears stood and he was brindle like a tiger. Do such Mals exist? My dog, Netty Bumpo, had the very soft temperment of the Greyhound. A Mal would not have this :D
Look at Dutch Shepherds for brindle coats.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts