German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, my names Rian.
I'm a twenty-four year old failed artist who lives with his parents.. HA.
Which means, I have a lot of time to devote to raising the families new (and first) German Shepherd named Barik. He's a four month old purebred male with a very strong/large bloodline. It was my fathers idea and seeing as how he works fulltime.. Half of the time he's at the mercy of my.. Scared of dogs mother and myself.. I can truly say none of us were prepared for this..
My mother has been working very hard to gain confidence and have patience.
Though she does tend to be a bit nervous which allows Barik to get a bit snotty with her.. But hey, patience.. So yea, I originally found this website while doing research on his red eyes.. Decided it would probably be a great idea to sign up and maybe get to know some people who've gone through what we are now and I could learn from.

So yes, I look forward to sharing and learning.
Thanks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Heres him the first week we had him. Heh, amazing how much he's already grown.
Doubled his mass within two/three weeks..
I'll post an updated picture shortly.

·
Registered
27,271 Posts
Welcome to you. Barik is a cutie! You and your mother are scared of dogs? Maybe I didn't read that right, Barik is a baby and your mom is afraid of him?

I would have her read this Nothing in Life is Free and everyone work together to make Barik a confident happy pup.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No no, my mother has had a life long fear of dogs.
And yes, he is a baby.. HA.. She is really doing well with it though.
She is learning and changing a lot, along with Barik.

I have no fear of dogs at all.

Her and I will read over that link, thank you.

·
Registered
27,271 Posts
I know a lady that has had a fear of large dogs too. She has a GSD and a goldenx and still has that fear(not of her own though)! She thought owning a larger breed would help her get over it, but if she doesn't know the dog she is intimidated still.
You'll find lots of info on this board, I think every question has been asked and answered at least once:)
What type of art do you do?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's what I told my mom, haha.
"Well once we have Barik all ship shape you won't have to worry about the other dogs in the neighborhood.." :p It helped reassure her..

I've been recording music for ten years.
All kinds of music from folk, to punk, rock, to electronic and everything between.
So I suppose I could say I'm a composer / song writer.. I play any instrument and sing.
Been known to drawn from time to time, when inspired.

PS that link has already proven to be a really good read..
Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ALSO, I should note he has been signed up for "puppy kindergarden". (LOL cute name..)
It starts in bout' two weeks.. He'll be going to the vet before that!
:)

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum!

May I ask, where are you located?

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Welcome, he's very cute! The classes are a must as if socializing. He's about to enter the fear stage so I would get him out as much as possible (provided he's had his shots).

·
Registered
626 Posts
Welcome aboard ... enjoy ! :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yea, we've been working on having him stay calm when new people / things come around. I was fairly impressed when we encountered two large Shepherds while walking, he sat calmly between my legs and the other owner and myself spoke. Now just working on him not rush doors and people visiting! ANYWAYS, took some pictures today.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts