German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have always wanted a GSD but, been sneaking on this forum for many years now.

I have taken care of a few during holiday but, I can't choose between male and female.

And about adopting a GSD (1-3years old).

Watched many youtube but, Need some opinions from owners here.

·
Registered
547 Posts
In terms of protection, males tend to be more territory-focused and females more pack-focused (especially children). Females are a little less pleasant to manage if left intact, though I know there are members on the forum who will give you advice about dealing with heats twice a year. Males have to be taught not to mark as much as they'd like, especially in a "stranger's" home. That's not a difficult task in and of itself.

I've heard that females can be a bit testy and sassy compared to males. Males take longer to mature and will remain a bit dopey while they're young adults.

Otherwise, they're German Shepherds and will do general German Shepherd things to the same degree.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

I have taken care of a few during holiday but, I can't choose between male and female.

And about adopting a GSD (1-3years old).
Will you have a decent amount of time or other available family to help raise the puppy? If you do, then I would get either one depending on what you have available.

I tend to think males are bit more independent, and larger size.

Females are smaller,a bit more needy, attention seeking, and protective.

This can all vary but that is the general outcome I have seen with my GSDs.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, I have time as I am self employed. Can take breaks to let him out. I will try to minimize the GSD to be alone.

Another question is how can I learn my GSD to pee/ poop on the toilet? Is that even possible?

If I take a male would he care for my family/children?

·
Registered
368 Posts
Another question is how can I learn my GSD to pee/ poop on the toilet? Is that even possible?

Once he learns you'll have to tell us how you did it :D! To my knowledge it is not possible to train your dog to do this. I have heard of some cats that are able to do this.

Yes, males will still care for the family. Males just seem to be a bit more aloof when compared to females. Both are still very family oriented dogs in comparison to other breeds.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Aloof as in they could take or leave strangers--not fond of them, but don't necessarily dislike them.

As far as I know, that doesn't apply with the family.

·
Registered
5,804 Posts
Welcome! My dog's sire's sibling is a Holland police dog! It was a very accomplished litter.

Most of the members here are from the US and IMO it would be difficult dispensing advice not knowing what your shelter and rescue system are like in the Netherlands vs that in the US. One thing I would advise when adopting is to ensure the purity of the dog so that you don't get tangled up with undesirable traits from another breed in the mixture unless you know that the other breed is a herder type.

I have generally found females to be softer and less aggressive. Between that and their smaller size, they are much easier to handle. My males have generally been the more affectionate ones, better protectors.

My females have always kept themselves clean and their heat seasons have been a non issue all in all. I never had a male that needed to be taught not to mark in my home even with intact females and other intact males in the household. Marking in the home does not seem to be a breed trait.

·
Registered
9,862 Posts
The heats are not a big issue at all. Roll up your rugs or have them wear panties inside. She won't run away to look fro males, she is non-aggressive (can change once fully spayed). I thik it depends on the individual dog instead of making generalizations about the two genders. Deja is my second female, the other was a spayed Whippet and a pest to other females but Deja is not aggressive to females , just a bit pushy but I never put her in a situation where this can go any further. She is a dream dog for me. I would meet the dog you are interested in and if you like him/her don't look at the gender but at the dog or have the dog evaluated by a Verdedigings Honden Vereniging. Yep, I speak Dutch.

·
Registered
368 Posts
First, what do you mean by gaurd?

Ours naturally is protective of our house with no training at all. But if you want to do bite work it will require a professional trainer.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Yes, I have time as I am self employed. Can take breaks to let him out. I will try to minimize the GSD to be alone.

If you have a squat toilet, I'm guessing it would be possible.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

After reading this so I can only groom and not trim a little bit off the coat then? I dont mean shaving the whole coat off just trim a little like 0.5 inch or less.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts