German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently in the process of finding a reputable breeder in our area, please PM for info if you have it.

http://www.germanshepherds.com/foru...01-syracuse-ny-looking-reputable-breeder.html

Long story short, our household is looking to add a GSD to the pack so to speak. Our household consists of My wife, myself, our 3 yr old, a little one on the way, and our 5yr old BT. I grew up with GSDs and have wanted one for some time now but never had the yard or square footage in the house to accommodate a large breed dog. We are moving to a new larger home with a large fenced in yard that will be perfect for our BT and hopefully a GSD in the near future. I am no stranger to forums and really appreciate the info and advice found in the communities. looking forward to this one.

·
Registered
32,034 Posts
Welcome! If you are interested in rescue, CNYGSD rescue is right there in Syracuse!

·
Registered
381 Posts
If you could list what you are looking for in terms of activity level, and what activities you plan to do with the GSD, it would help. Are you looking for an active working line? Do you want to do agility, or other activities?

You might want to attend the GSD show in Seneca Falls in May and speak with some breeders there and look at the dogs to get a better idea of what you want.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Welcome! If you are interested in rescue, CNYGSD rescue is right there in Syracuse!
I should add that there is one in Rochester as well - Brightstar German Shepherd Rescue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My worry is not knowing the background of temperament or health of where the dog/puppy came from. Seems like that would be a bit of a gamble?

If you could list what you are looking for in terms of activity level, and what activities you plan to do with the GSD, it would help. Are you looking for an active working line? Do you want to do agility, or other activities?

You might want to attend the GSD show in Seneca Falls in May and speak with some breeders there and look at the dogs to get a better idea of what you want.
Activity level would be moderate, we are an active family. Most importantly we are looking for a companion that is engaged with whatever family activity we are doing. A protective spirit is also something I am looking for. Id like him/her to be attentive to whats going on around the home and alert us and assert himself to the situation. I work shifts so my wife is home alone at odd hours. It'd be nice to have a stronger presence in the home when I'm away.

We are familiar with human & k9 socialization and training, our BT turned out beyond our expectations.

I should add that there is one in Rochester as well - Brightstar German Shepherd Rescue.
thanks for the heads up

·
Registered
32,034 Posts
My worry is not knowing the background of temperament or health of where the dog/puppy came from. Seems like that would be a bit of a gamble?

Not necessarily. If you buy from a good breeder, you can pretty much guess how the puppy will turn out from what the parents bring but with an adult rescue, what you see is what you get. I see a baby in your picture and a small dog so you would want a dog that has been in foster care and they have a good handle on the temperament and prey drives of the dog. And with an adult you don't have to go thru the landshark phase. lol

But it was just a suggestion because of your close location. Nothing wrong with getting a puppy! :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not necessarily. If you buy from a good breeder, you can pretty much guess how the puppy will turn out from what the parents bring but with an adult rescue, what you see is what you get. I see a baby in your picture and a small dog so you would want a dog that has been in foster care and they have a good handle on the temperament and prey drives of the dog. And with an adult you don't have to go thru the landshark phase. lol

But it was just a suggestion because of your close location. Nothing wrong with getting a puppy! :)
thats why I like heading to a breeder, I can meet the parents that were bred and get a general idea of the temperament that should be expected. We absolutely want to start with a pup so it can grow up in our controlled chaos and learn its role and pecking order in the family. I see there are rescue pups, it just worries me that I wont know their history. Guess it doesn't hurt to inquire? thanks for the tips folks.

I went to Syracuse for school. I really like its vibe. I miss Wegmans.
thanks for the PM, will definitely consider. wegmans rocks! just moved up form ohio. love the CNY area so far. it sure snows alot, lol.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts