German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! Like my user name says, I am Carleen. Maisey is my 8 week old GSD puppy. I joined the forum mainly because this is my first experience with a dog; I've always been a cat person and currently have 5 felines, none of which have decided that Maisey is ok just yet. We're still working on that. :)

I have a fairly rare brain condition called Arnold Chiari Malformation which, in a nutshell, means that the lower portion of my brain (the tonsils) decided to take a vacation and broke free of the three layers of membrane that surrounds the brain and hang out in my spinal column where the spinal cord lives. Considering that there's limited space in that location, all kinds of strange things happen: heart palpitations, clumsiness, seizures, limited peripheral vision, and headaches are only a few.

Did I mention headaches? I have three different types of them: cluster (also known as the "suicide headache"), migraine, and pressure. After having surgery wherein a piece of bovine pericardium (that's just a fancy way of saying a piece of the membrane from a cow's heart) was used to lift the piece of my brain that was in the wrong place and sewn to the membrane in my head that had been breached, a small hole left in my skull, and the first two bones in my neck removed, I though most of the problem would be solved. Nope! That's when I started having seizures.

Most people with ACM have symptoms on only one side of their body, and mine are almost all on the right side. An EEG showed that I have partial complex seizures in the right parietal lobe of my brain and the scar tissue there indicated that I had been having seizures for quite a while without realizing that was what was happening. So now, six years after surgery and multiple anti-seizure meds later, they are not any better. In fact, 4 weeks ago, they changed when I blacked out for the first time, twice in a matter of a few hours. Of course, I lost my driver's license and now have to be driven everywhere. I won't be able to get my license back until the seizures have been under control for at least 3 months. I have never been three months without a seizure, so it's not likely that I will ever be able to drive again. Enter Maisey.

My neurologist suggested that I consider a service dog, one trained to alert for seizures and to help me navigate going down stairs and curbs. I can get up them just fine, but can't just the distance well enough to go back down without falling. Since my health insurance doesn't cover the cost of a service dog and the wait list for a seizure alert dog is quite long, I spoke with my vet, who also has seizures, and asked for a recommendation on the type of dog to get to have privately trained. He suggested a Lab, GSD or Standard Poodle for their intelligence. I chose the GSD because I had fond memories of one from my childhood and now have Maisey.

This is my first experience with a puppy. She has been with me only 4 days, but they have been wonderful! Maisey has decided that I belong to her already. She likes my husband well enough, but she sleeps at or on my feet when she naps, brings her toys to me to play with her, and whines for me to take her outside to potty. Kinda makes me feel special already!

Sorry for the length of my intro. As a retired English professor, I do have a tendency to write quite a bit, LOL!

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
That is one of the most beautiful little gsds I have seen!!!

Hopefully she will be of great service to you :)!
welcome

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
She certainly is a pretty girl! LOVE the Hello Kitty tug, hehe!

Welcome to the forum, and please, keep us posted on Maisey's training. I hope she turns out to be a complete blessing for you.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Welcome, we look forward to getting to know both of you :)

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Welcom to the forum! Nice to meet you both.

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
Greetings! I am on the wait list for a puppy from the same breeder you got your Maisey from!

I will follow your experiences closely!
Sheilah

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Congrats, Sheila! I have the utmost respect for her because as I mentioned in another thread, I sent the same email to four different breeders who all had puppies available at the time and stated explicitly that not only was I looking for my first canine companion but that I needed one that could be trained as a service dog for me because I have seizures and recently they had changed and caused me to black out. Of the four breeders I contacted, she was the only one who addressed my need for a service dog which indicated to me that she cared as much about the people with whom her puppies would be living as she did about the puppies.

I'm confident that you'll be as happy with your puppy as I am with Maisey, even as we work our way through the terrible twos, LOL! :crazy:

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
Very good to know, Carleen! Which litter is Maisey from? I really, really like Maya and the wait list I am on is for her next litter. That won't be for another 13-17 months, but I think the wait would be worth it.
Sheilah

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Maisey came from Lana vom Binderhaus x Kappo von Eisenwerk. Lana is gorgeous and is a trained therapy dog, so Maisey comes by the personality for service work naturally, I think.

My niece, who played driver for me since my hubby was in Egypt at the time and I've lost my driver's license because of the blackout seizures, fell in love with all of the dogs when we went to see Maisey before deciding for sure if she was THE puppy for me. I was impressed by Lana's calm demeanor while complete strangers fussed over and handled her puppies. She even joined in on the fun.

Overall, the whole thing has been a very positive experience and I have no qualms in recommending this breeder to anyone.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Welcome and good luck! GSDs make great service dogs, I'm sure you won't be disappointed! :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts