German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. My name is Mike. I live in Southern California and found this site on Google.com

Ever since I can remember my family has always had a German Shepherd as a extended part of the family. Our first German Shepherd that my father had before I was born passed away when I was around 4. At about age 9 walking out of a home improvement store there was a gentlemen giving away a German Shepherd. We took the German Shepherd home and found out that it had been abused. It was very unfortunate but "Rebel" was a joy in the family and lived a long and great life while we cared for him. He ended up really bad off a few years ago. He was partially blind, his hips were really bad. It had gotten to the point where my father and I would argue because I maintained that since he could not walk on his own and would not eat the quality of life was no longer there. Sadly one morning when I got off of work I came home (around 7am) kissed the dog goodnight and went to bed. My father waited till I woke up around 3pm and told me the dog passed the night before. It was a sad time.

Now I am 26 years old with my own family. I recently went down to the local animal shelter and rescued a 13 month old German Shepherd. Her name is Lucy. Already she has become a member of the family. It's been a few years so I forgot how strong the German Shepherd breed is. Shes already broke two of her collars. Shes awesome with my daughters (ages 4 and 6). I look forward to reading and learning much from the forums.

Sorry for the long winded intro.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
welcome!!! i totally understand the broken collar thing only wish leashes on our end. We ended up using a horse lead for my dog Zena because even on pain meds and coming out of sedation after her spay surgery shortly after we got her, she snapped her leash trying to go home from the vet when they took her out to potty lol. imagine getting THAT phone call! I have two kids as well ages 3 (in a couple weeks) and almost 18 months. My kids have never been without pets in the house and definitely without a GSD! Congrats on finding a great dog!!!

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Hi and welcome from another So Californian! Where about in Southern Cali are you?

Can't wait to see pictures!!!Thank you for adopting Lucy!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm in Riverside, CA

not too good of quality it was on my cell phone. I'll be posting pics as soon as I take some more. I adopted her from the Riverside,Ca animal shelter. They have a "deal" that if the dog has been there 7 days already on the 8th day they are $20. It included the shots, microchip and spaying. She cost me $36 to "adopt" and register. The price had nothing to do with the decision. As soon as I saw her and was introduced I knew she'd be a perfect fit.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
she's gorgeous!!!

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
She's such a pretty girl! She looks quite a bit like my last gsd Omy, she was black and silver- the best dog that ever lived. So glad you adopted Lucy, welcome!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts