German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spent the day with Carmen and my trainer Mike....lots of training for me and lots for Gus. The afternoon was at the plaza with one of her green dogs named Grey, it was great to see what I should be doing with Gus outside of formal field training.

Thought I would share this lovely boy named Grey. What a sweet boy, I would take him in a heartbeat if I was looking for dog #2.

Carmen and Grey.....green dog out being social - YouTube

Carmen and Grey 2 - YouTube

Carmen and Grey 3 - YouTube

Carmen and grey 4 - YouTube

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
How old is he? I see a lot of stressed body language. Has he not been our being socialized prior to this?

Though very nice how he did the up and down on the open grating stairs.

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
this is not my dog . I am a stranger to him. We have no bond , no connection .
He is not stressed . He is under one year of age . He has not had a lot of experience on lead . He was neutral . There was a lot of material not on the videos where there were people popping in and out . Beside, in front , crossing path . Dog always neutral . He is not healing . he is allowed to walk naturally . this is not a training exercise . This is environmental experience which he did not have before being "fresh off the farm" so all this is novel, brand new . the walking beside the cart is his trying to figure out where to be , where to place himself .

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Those are great videos, I hope lots of people watch them to get ideas of how to integrate their dogs besides the usual pet store stuff. Just walking around getting used to things, odd stuff like the stairs. I loved the natural walk without insisting on a heel. What a nice young dog!

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I also didn't see a stressed dog. There were many surprises popping out at him that I unfortunately didn't get on video. There were moments where he was unsure of where to be or walk but they didn't strike me as stressed.

I didn't know his age previous to this exposure and was quite honestly shocked at how young he was as I thought he carried himself as a mature dog.

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
For a young dog that has not been previously socialized, he is dealing with all the new stuff okay. This is basic exposure that we should all be doing with our dogs from the time they are pups or from the time we adopt them. If it gives people ideas on things to do to build their dogs' confidence, these videos show a lot of good thing. There is a bit of stress in how he seems unsteady at times and gives calming signals (lip licking), but if he is a stranger to the handler, no previous socialization, younger than he looks, and 'off the farm' for the first time, well, that is a lot to deal with.

Carmen is doing a good job of just being matter-of-fact with him, using treats to encourage him to check out the shopping carts, etc.

What do you mean by 'green'? I thought that since you described him as 'green', he was a one-year-old working prospect. So the videos were not what I was expecting.

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
green as in callow - NO experience .

I am not giving him treats - no way - now how . I am not encouraging him to do anything . He is not checking out the shopping carts as investigating them , he is walking beside him. This is where some of the actions are erratic because he has not been told where to be or what to do.
So he is trying to walk beside then thinks he should be beside me instead , both are okay . Where ever it is most comfortable for him physically. The part where the dog is the filling between the cart and myself - for the large part I have no hand on the leash which is loosely draped over the top and resting in the cart . IF he were uncomfortable with the stimulation and the rattle , while cars are passing , pedestrians are criss crossing, Saphire is steps behind , this is where he would have shown distress and scooted. Don't worry my timing on my left side is developed and very fast. I am watchful.

No treats .

There was one section where two young Home Depot employees had gone to the contractors cart area and where each taking back two heavy duty carts. We were a foot away and the dog had no response , cool -- neutral .

He never shrunk , never hackled, never backed up.

There were lots of people passing in front , walking beside.
We went through the automatic doors - in and out . Along our walk back we passed doorways with people moving rapidly in and out . It was a grey and wet day so everyone was moving at a fair clip. There was one point where a man with a heavy bag of dog food almost ran out the door , right when we were there , no startle from the dog. Even Saphire remarked about it .
We even encountered a person in a motorized wheelchair , no problem.
We passed between an idiling 18 wheel truck unloading and a garden centres floral display with barely enough space to squeak through . Not a problem .
This is not my dog . I took him out for a spin so that I could see the dog - the dog without conditioning or experience or modified behaviour by training . Just the plain old dog.
Because we are in a public place and we have no permission from people the you tube does not show "people" or faces - courtesy - respect .
Saphire had never seen this dog before and he was very warm and got the pets and loving from her. Leaned right in there for maximum sweet spot scratching !
At the end when we put him back in the truck he lay quietly while we talked and the coming and going of vehicles and people continued.
If I had taken him back out he would have gladly have done it all over again.
this is very similar to one of the run throughs a candidate for guide dog would run . I have experience both in shadowing training groups in downtown Toronto and I have experience in taking a dog through the course and then handing him over for "official" work and certification. This experience more or less covers all the elements of the BH - he has had shoulder of the road heeling , oncoming and from behind traffic , heavy and fast , no problem.
The dog has flown and he has had a lot of travel in a vehicle .
Now with the person taking care of him he does schutzhund type work with lots of energy , high prey , lots of tug . Tracking ? he loves it .

As I was saying to Saphire , you do these kinds of things not so much for the benefit for the dog but to have an opportunity to see the dog handling situations and coming to understand the dog .

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
What's his pedigree? just curious:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts