German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title says my puppy has green diarrhea. I have read green poop/diarrhea can be dangerous. I am currently trying to transition him from royal canine to orijen so I am thinking that is whats doing it and maybe I am putting to much orijen in. I have only had him for couple days and the breeder said he is healthy. Should I call my vet?

·
Registered
6,164 Posts
Green poop gets a vet visit, TODAY.

It can happen from eating grass. It can also happen from life-threatening infection and poisoning. Since you can't tell the difference just from looking at it, and your puppy is very young (and thus very fragile), it's important for you to have the vet check it out.

You shouldn't wait to see if it resolves. Very young pups crash hard and fast (and dehydrate very quickly), so I wouldn't delay on getting care for diarrhea.

By the way, I think this chart is very helpful in understanding poop color, and whether abnormal poop requires a vet visit:
https://www.caninejournal.com/dog-poop-color/

https://www.caninejournal.com/wp-content/uploads/dog-poop-color-infographic-jpg.jpg

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Green poop gets a vet visit, TODAY.

It can happen from eating grass. It can also happen from life-threatening infection and poisoning. Since you can't tell the difference just from looking at it, and your puppy is very young (and thus very fragile), it's important for you to have the vet check it out.

You shouldn't wait to see if it resolves. Very young pups crash hard and fast (and dehydrate very quickly), so I wouldn't delay on getting care for diarrhea.

By the way, I think this chart is very helpful in understanding poop color, and whether abnormal poop requires a vet visit:
https://www.caninejournal.com/dog-poop-color/

https://www.caninejournal.com/wp-content/uploads/dog-poop-color-infographic-jpg.jpg
Thank you. I just called my vet and he has an appointment in about an hour. Hoping its just the food change!

·
Super Moderator
8,677 Posts
Have you observed your puppy eating it’s own poop?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have you observed your puppy eating it’s own poop?
He has not eaten his own poop

You should have him in for a check up when you first bring him home, even if there are no problems. I wouldn't rush to change his food either. He just got weaned on to one and there's enough changes in his life, I always wait a couple or 3 weeks. Let them settle in.
Thats everything my vet said. He gave him some meds to clean up the diarrhea and told me to not change his food for a while. I also gave a stool sample so they are checking that.

·
Registered
6,164 Posts
Good job taking care of him! Thanks very much for coming back to update -- often people post about a sick dog and then disappear, so we never know if the dog is okay or not. I'm glad your pup's diarrhea will be easy to resolve!!!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good job taking care of him! Thanks very much for coming back to update -- often people post about a sick dog and then disappear, so we never know if the dog is okay or not. I'm glad your pup's diarrhea will be easy to resolve!!!
He is feeling worse today I am afraid and I dont know what to do. He has to go out every hour to poop and its always water. He didnt want to eat this morning, and same thing, he has to go out every hour to poop diarrhea. I am just really concerned. He is very lethargic and doesn't want to play. He just sleeps and poops. Giving him the pill is really challenging as well. I tried putting it in his food this morning and he wouldnt eat. I tried forcing it but he put a fight with that. I also have given him a spoonful of pumpkin (he took a few licks) to see if that would help make his stool go back to normal.

Also I was looking at the food my vet told me to go back to. The one the breeder gave us. Its royal canin starter mousse. It says its for puppies with a target adult weight of 11 pounds. I dont think that can be good for him. The breeder also said to get the Royal Canin puppy large breed kibble which i did yesterday. He said he eats that. I fed it to him last night, he gobbled it up and I dont know if its what made his diarrhea worse. Also is 10 pounds normal for an 7 week puppy. I read online that a 8 week old should weigh close to 20 pounds?

Thanks

·
Registered
6,164 Posts
Did the vet run a parvo test yesterday? If not -- call the vet right away, as they may need you to come back. A downturn with watery poop plus lethargy is something the vet needs to know about -- I would insist on a parvo test immediately if one wasn't done yesterday.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Did the vet run a parvo test yesterday? If not -- call the vet right away, as they may need you to come back. A downturn with watery poop plus lethargy is something the vet needs to know about -- I would insist on a parvo test immediately if one wasn't done yesterday.
I dont know if he tested for parvo. He has a stool sample and they are checking that. I just called and the receptionist said the doctor will give me a call back. He does have his first set of shots but when I went to the vet yesterday and he noticed that the date the shots were given he was only about 5 1/2 weeks old. He said that was too young and the vaccines probably didnt take very well. Ugh, omg I hope this little guy will be okay!

·
Registered
6,164 Posts
Paws crossed for you. There's an instant parvo test that can be done in the clinic. They can also give him some fluids in the clinic which will help with the dehydration from the watery poop. I'm praying it's not parvo!

·
Premium Member
11,330 Posts
way too young to be sold! Puppies - in many states by law - should not be sold and leave litter prior to 8 weeks old....they need the time with littermates for both mental and physical development (and immune system too)

Boil rice, add a little boiled ground meat - beef or chicken - like no more than a small meatball to a cup of rice...feed that as a meal 2 or 3 times a day until poop firms up....

of course, parvo testing is a must - that is a whole 'nother ballgame if positive....

poor pup - hope it is not bad and you get a good managemnet plan for him

Lee

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
My vet just called me back. They tested his poop and got the results. The results did come back positive for a parasite. I think its coccidia. I will confirm when i go pick up the meds I need to treat it.

I asked him about Parvo and he said since he saw him yesterday if there was any indication he thought he had it he would of tested right away and since the toxicology report came back positive the parasite is most likely causing the issue. The good news is is that Caius (my puppy) is up and playing again. He was mouthing on my sweater and pulling while I was on the phone with the vet and he said since he is playing now and drinking water he doesnt have a concern for Parvo.

I am wondering If I should email my breeder and tell him about this. I feel like this is all my fault tho. I guess I didnt get a good breeder but I love my puppy and would do and pay anything to make him better.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Do your best to clean up any stools he leaves in the yard.
I try but its diarrhea, its hard to pick up. It is winter here though so hopefully the snow and rain will wash it away. He does really like to lick the snow tho and eat the leaves. He gets into everything outside. I dont want him to catch this again. Any tips???

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
You can try to clean/sterilize it when he is put up. Use a pooper scooper and a flat board about 3"x1/2"and dump it into a plastic grocery bag. If you don't have a pooper scooper, be creative and use something like an old dust pan. Then you can put some bleach diluted with water and pour it on what is left. It might kill your grass, but that is better than keeping the organisms around for your pup to get back into. Then keep him out of the areas where he has pooped. The bleach will soak into the ground and not cause a hazard and I don't think a pup would attracted to bleach anyway. Also check his butt and keep it clean in case he tries to lick the area to clean himself. Otherwise, he might keep reinfecting himself.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Glad to read that the vet doesn't think it's parvo. But you should use caution when cleaning up after the puppy. Some forms of coccidia are zoonotic (i.e., can be transmitted to humans), so use disposable gloves during cleanup of the yard and the puppy, and throw them away --- outside. And, wash your hands! In addition to bleaching areas where he poops, as Chuck suggests, I'd also disinfect his bedding, crate, toys, feeding pans, etc. (Just wash in hot soapy water).

I'd also use baby/puppy wipes to clean his anus every time he comes back after pooping. Might as well set up a "cleaning station" at the door where he comes in so that he steps directly onto an old towel and is held there while you quickly clean paws and butt. Towels can then be laundered (with bleach solution) after each use. Enclose the used wipes and gloves in a plastic bag and dispose of them outside immediately.

BTW, this is great fun to do, with a brand new wiggly puppy, in the rain, snow and cold. Ask me how I know this...LOL.

Welcome to the world of dogs and puppies! ;)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well i just gave him his meds and he threw it all up 2 minutes later..ugh. I called the vet back. He asked me if had anything to eat. I said no not since the little bits of food he had this morning. He said wait a couple hours, feed him and then give him the meds thats maybe he threw up due to an empty stomach. If things get worse tonight to go to the 24 animal hospital. Ugh I am so frustrated!!!! My poor little guy. I just want him to feel better! Plus the expenses are adding up...its really frustrating.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Glad to read that the vet doesn't think it's parvo. But you should use caution when cleaning up after the puppy. Some forms of coccidia are zoonotic (i.e., can be transmitted to humans), so use disposable gloves during cleanup of the yard and the puppy, and throw them away --- outside. And, wash your hands! In addition to bleaching areas where he poops, as Chuck suggests, I'd also disinfect his bedding, crate, toys, feeding pans, etc. (Just wash in hot soapy water).

I'd also use baby/puppy wipes to clean his anus every time he comes back after pooping. Might as well set up a "cleaning station" at the door where he comes in so that he steps directly onto an old towel and is held there while you quickly clean paws and butt. Towels can then be laundered (with bleach solution) after each use. Enclose the used wipes and gloves in a plastic bag and dispose of them outside immediately.

BTW, this is great fun to do, with a brand new wiggly puppy, in the rain, snow and cold. Ask me how I know this...LOL.

Welcome to the world of dogs and puppies! ;)

I just put some stuff in the laundry to clean that I know he has touched. And I am currently cleaning everything else. Thanks for all the tips.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts