German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning the doorbell rang and a repairman stood on the other side of the glass storm door. How did Ranger react? He looked out the storm door wagging his tail. Great watchdog, LOL. :)

·
Registered
308 Posts
Maybe he has good threat evaluation skills and acted exactly right for the situation! :D Sounds like a good dog to me, my pup still starts to bark w/ her big dog voice, then tapers off into "OK, maybe I'm actually a little worried" as she waits in the hall to see what I'm gonna do!

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I actually think that he does have very good evaluation skills and I suspect that he would not be as welcoming if his "radar" picked up on a problem. Or maybe I am just fooling myself and he is actually a big cuddlebug. In any case, barking and growling or not, the potential intruder has to wonder the same thing I do - will this GSD become aggressive if I give him reason to?

·
Registered
482 Posts
Best kind of dog is one that looks scary and people are not sure of. I have a friend that dislikes GSD's because she swears they are impossible to read unlike many other breeds, just the way I like it... Diesel may look intimidating but he would probably lick someone to death unless they brought their own dog! :eek:

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
I would rather a dog that barks less then more :)

·
Registered
10,472 Posts
The other day an iffy guy was at the door with some lame product in his hands, WD barked once and no matter what I tried, acting scared or panicky (before I let the guy know I was home) he thought I was inviting him to play. When I tapped the window for the guy to get off the property, WD was sitting next to the door waiting for his treat.
I guess he relies more on me than I thought. Being 17 months old, he is starting to look like a serious GSD, which is my only comfort right now. :)
Maybe I need a yappy Chihuahua to teach him the ropes of guarding.

·
Registered
99 Posts
It was a repairman, though. Repairmen and other legitimate workers generally don't have threatening body language or other aggressive signals.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Maybe I need a yappy Chihuahua to teach him the ropes of guarding.
:rofl:

Sorry but this reminds me of Jazzy and Delgado, Jazzy is very protective of the house and will growl at the smallest sound. Delgado is more content to twitch his ears to figure it out and investigate before reacting. When someone is at the door Jazzy always barks first and will run there and Delgado will be close on her heels, but Jazzy will stay on the ledge barking while Delgado goes straight up to the window to see what's going on.

It's like that facebook photo of the yorkie with the pack of GSD's following him. Jazzy's much more confident with her little "big" brother backing her up ;) She'll start it but leave it to him to finish it :D

·
Registered
10,472 Posts
And.....an hour later WD was barking ferociously when I was working in my office behind closed doors. I told him everything was OK, thinking about this thread and the fact that he only barks when the neighbor dog comes over. But he didn't stop. I went to see and I couldn't believe his heroism; the laundry room was flooding because I had forgotten to turn off the faucet. That makes him more like a service dog now :) and more effective so I am swallowing my words earlier in this thread. Sorry WD!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts