German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The mother of my soon to be puppy is being mated this week !! I'm going with the name "Trigger" that name means something to me deeply. It was German shepherd back in 2003 who saved my brother and I from being snatched up by a stranger on the streets of New Jersey. Since it's my first male I thought it would be special to name him that.

Me and the breeder has had a conversation or two (maybe three) every week since October. He completely understands what I want and I think it will be great for Bella and I. We can officially be a mini pack lol.

It will be hard work and a lot of time at first but I already have a trainer on hand so we can start off on the right. The only thing I need now is the right toys.

Here is the father

Attachments

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Congratulations :)

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
31,838 Posts
"I'm 22 and I'm a full time college student. My best advice man is to wait. I played football all throughout my high school career and basketball. I'm not saying its impossible but I'm saying it will probably be hard. If you do decide to get a dog PLEASE get an older one atleast. The puppy phase takes a lot of time.

As for college, I attended a small college two classes per semester. That gives me so much time for my Bella. Well now, I'm working considering she's older and mature but still every morning I get up at 8am we go for a run or walk for about 1 hour and 30 minutes so I come back at 9:30. Get her settled then I go to work from 11am-3pm.

It takes time, I know what it's like being in high school in this era. I would wait if I was you. "

Dude, I think you ought to be taking your own advice here. You have a young bitch who is having some well, some almost fighting issues going on, but not very confident, and all that stuff.

If she is 16 months old now, she will only be 20 months when this pup is ready to come home.

You are working and going to school, and you want to take care of two puppies, both of which are still requiring a lot in the area of training. Even a year from now, this bitch will be in such a better place for bringing in another puppy.

There are tons of puppies out there, there will be one a year from now. It just feels like if you let this one get by you won't get another chance like this. Not so. The dog's a good dog, they will breed him again.

Get her where you want her first, and then bring in a puppy.

At least, think it through. Listen to your own advice. You know.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
"I'm 22 and I'm a full time college student. My best advice man is to wait. I played football all throughout my high school career and basketball. I'm not saying its impossible but I'm saying it will probably be hard. If you do decide to get a dog PLEASE get an older one atleast. The puppy phase takes a lot of time.

As for college, I attended a small college two classes per semester. That gives me so much time for my Bella. Well now, I'm working considering she's older and mature but still every morning I get up at 8am we go for a run or walk for about 1 hour and 30 minutes so I come back at 9:30. Get her settled then I go to work from 11am-3pm.

It takes time, I know what it's like being in high school in this era. I would wait if I was you. "

Dude, I think you ought to be taking your own advice here. You have a young bitch who is having some well, some almost fighting issues going on, but not very confident, and all that stuff.

If she is 16 months old now, she will only be 20 months when this pup is ready to come home.

You are working and going to school, and you want to take care of two puppies, both of which are still requiring a lot in the area of training. Even a year from now, this bitch will be in such a better place for bringing in another puppy.

There are tons of puppies out there, there will be one a year from now. It just feels like if you let this one get by you won't get another chance like this. Not so. The dog's a good dog, they will breed him again.

Get her where you want her first, and then bring in a puppy.

At least, think it through. Listen to your own advice. You know.
I guess the downfall is I don't post my day to day life. I don't post the good my dog does. I post things I'm not to sure about or if something happened negatively. I don't post things like I don't NEED like the job I'm just doing this because I have too much time on my hands and it's super temporary because that's no one business. I understand your concern but I never put myself in a situation I can't handle. Thank you for your concern.

·
Registered
31,838 Posts
A year ago, we were discussing punishing your dog for submissive urination. Now you are ready to take care of her -- she is mature now at 16 months, and bring on another puppy. You have a wife, but you don't have to work, you're going to college, and are 22. You tell other people to wait, but you are going to go full steam ahead because you never bite off more than you can chew.

I am too old to make all the mistakes myself, so I have to watch and learn what others do sometimes. But you don't have that impediment. Carry on, brave sir.

·
Banned
4,417 Posts
I guess the downfall is I don't post my day to day life. I don't post the good my dog does. I post things I'm not to sure about or if something happened negatively. I don't post things like I don't NEED like the job I'm just doing this because I have too much time on my hands and it's super temporary because that's no one business. I understand your concern but I never put myself in a situation I can't handle. Thank you for your concern.
Holy Cow! I had no idea. Bella - you are a very frequent poster here for the last year. Your post about Bella and the "neighbors dog" just a couple of days ago shows you still have a way to go on GSD education (has nothing to do with you turning your back for a second - you should have anticipated that with your dog on heat). Are basic precautions you should have anticipated if you have read anything about female GSD's here... but now - before you have figured out how to manage Bella - you're going to do this?

No, I am not a know it all. I always took your posts to be excellent in care for your dog - (if not understanding the basics.) With every normal change in your GSD - you posts are not sure of yourself or your dog as she matures. So this is your solution???? To get some "monster" and a "beast" working line dog (as you described the sire in your own words)???

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A year ago, we were discussing punishing your dog for submissive urination. Now you are ready to take care of her -- she is mature now at 16 months, and bring on another puppy. You have a wife, but you don't have to work, you're going to college, and are 22. You tell other people to wait, but you are going to go full steam ahead because you never bite off more than you can chew.

I am too old to make all the mistakes myself, so I have to watch and learn what others do sometimes. But you don't have that impediment. Carry on, brave sir.
A year ago I didn't know what I was doing. That's an ENTIRE 365 days. I'm going to assume your human right? How much can a human learn in entire year ???? Please answer that. Especially someone who wants to learn, it becomes very easy. "Now you are ready to take care of her" you don't know what I been through to keep this dog healthy you don't know a **** thing. Now I may have made a few mistakes in my past with her but if you clearly read my other post I have learn so much. Me and Bella bond is stronger than ever I've seen growth in both of us.

You don't need to know my personal life. How I make my money and how I support my wife. Just know I pay for Bella food. I'm still paying for Bella 2,500$ surgery that is almost done being paid off. I pay for her hundreds of dollars vet bills for her skin. I pay for her supplements every month. Even with all that paid off I'm still more than able to pay for my living with out of ounce of struggle. No I'm not bragging I'm just making sure you understand how BLESSED I am .Im the one who is devoting allllll my free time to understand how this dog thinks and what's her limits are. It was my job to make sure she's happy because she wasn't I can admit that. I've made a lot of huge mistakes but I **** sure made up for them and Bella attitude can definitely show that part is true. She is the most carrying loving and best. Behave dog in the world. Just like any other dog she has her flaws; she has her moments where she does something totally out of hand. It's my job to show her the right way. Me and this dog have both made a big change in our life's and if that bothers you to see that it's possible for change than I don't know how you go about in life.

I go to college two classes in total only for three days out of the week. Monday and Wednesday from 9am-11am and then on Saturday 9-2 pm. Like I said I have way more than enough time to dedicate to Bella or anything I choose to put my energy towards. You should never judge if you don't know what's going on or maybe you're to old to understand that. Carry on.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Holy Cow! I had no idea. Bella - you are a very frequent poster here for the last year. Your post about Bella and the "neighbors dog" just a couple of days ago shows you still have a way to go on GSD education (has nothing to do with you turning your back for a second - you should have anticipated that with your dog on heat). Are basic precautions you should have anticipated if you have read anything about female GSD's here... but now - before you have figured out how to manage Bella - you're going to do this?

No, I am not a know it all. I always took your posts to be excellent in care for your dog - (if not understanding the basics.) With every normal change in your GSD - you posts are not sure of yourself or your dog as she matures. So this is your solution???? To get some "monster" and a "beast" working line dog (as you described the sire in your own words)???
It's either the monster or a gold fish :)

·
Registered
31,838 Posts
365 days? How much can you learn in 365 days???

Not enough. I'm sorry, but you are doing well with the puppy you currently have. She may be well-behaved now in your opinion, and you may be well bonded now. Great! Go another year, work with her another year, let her become an adult before bringing in another puppy. Be a man! Because right now you are acting like a spoiled little boy.

I am going to tell you why I am judging you on this. Mainly it is because there are two dogs' lives at stake. But also because I am a breeder, and I HAVE to judge people just like you all the time. I have to take little bits of information and make a decision for the life a puppy. And God knows I do make mistakes. I make mistakes when I don't trust my gut about things.

And my gut says I would not place a puppy with you at this point.

I am sorry, but owning a dog for a little over a year really doesn't qualify you as being able to handle two puppies at once. And a "monster" dog, in your situation, it is a recipe for disaster.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
365 days? How much can you learn in 365 days???

Not enough. I'm sorry, but you are doing well with the puppy you currently have. She may be well-behaved now in your opinion, and you may be well bonded now. Great! Go another year, work with her another year, let her become an adult before bringing in another puppy. Be a man! Because right now you are acting like a spoiled little boy.

I am going to tell you why I am judging you on this. Mainly it is because there are two dogs' lives at stake. But also because I am a breeder, and I HAVE to judge people just like you all the time. I have to take little bits of information and make a decision for the life a puppy. And God knows I do make mistakes. I make mistakes when I don't trust my gut about things.

And my gut says I would not place a puppy with you at this point.

I am sorry, but owning a dog for a little over a year really doesn't qualify you as being able to handle two puppies at once. And a "monster" dog, in your situation, it is a recipe for disaster.
...oh

·
Banned
4,417 Posts
You prefer the gold fish??? :)
SoMeTiMeS!!!:) In fact - most of the time.... There's only one time I need her (or my previous 4 GSD's) to be anything but a silly lovable dog. That's when our lives are in jeopardy. So far - each and every one has done their job when it really counts.... Everything else is just "show" and very inconvenient at times.... I want the "walk" and not the "show or talk".....

·
Registered
245 Posts

It's either the monster or a gold fish
Hey, if another species is an option...!
I'm fostering some realllllyy cute kittens (as always) that will need homes! The oldest 4 are a month old now. Have had them since they were about a week old, so they're going to be super people loving (actually they already are). They also love climbing on my dog when he's laying down and will lick his nose and don't mind him licking them back. It's like he's filling in to be their daddy.
One little guy is nicknamed Bobbles. Apparently when animal control found them, his head was stuck in something and it was causing him to lose consciousness. But he's still going strong! He seems to be a little special, as he his body shakes a little (when he was super tiny, you'd just see him looking up at you with his bobbling head--hence the nickname). He is noticeably smaller than the others (and his sister Olivia, the biggest of them by far, is just huge standing beside him). He's just always been a bit slower at learning things, but he learns. He's usually the first one rushing to greet you when checking on them.

Threadjack: who wants a kitten? :D

1 - 20 of 32 Posts