German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today was a little overcast, as opposed to the blaring hit sun we've been having for weeks, so it seemed like a great day to walk in the park...and do some training of course. And it couldn't have been better if I'd scripted it myself. Nyx passed several dogs without any reaction, saw her first snake and showed little interest, passed several people and bikes without fanfare, and saw her first rollerblader! She did show some curiosity about the rollerblader, and had to whip around to check out the noise he made crossing a plastic cover over a little ditch, but it was really loud, and only a few feet behind us, so understandable. She also spent some time doing calisthenics and a couple long stays, and got to meet and greet a couple toddlers and their moms that we met on the trail. Topped that off with a few minutes just resting by a little playground, watching the kids have fun. I couldn't be more proud of her!

The picture is her doing a long down about 100 ft away from where I was sitting...

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,636 Posts
Sounds like a perfect day:)

Reactions: tim_s_adams

·
Registered
875 Posts
Sounds like she had a very eventful day and took it all in stride.....kudos to you and Nyx :thumbup:

·
Registered
5,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nyx as a young puppy, only 3 or 4 months, became a completely different animal when other dogs approached her on leash. I mean up on the hind legs going berserk kind of animal. Initially, I thought it was just barrier frustration since she had very little leash training at the breeders. But a neighbor with a slightly older puppy was her first encounter, so I asked if their puppy was friendly and if we could let them meet. They were okay with that so I walked Nyx up closer and she literally tried to chew the puppy's face off! Didn't connect, thank god, but it was an eye opener LOL!

I haven't posted much on the forum about it, because I've dealt with this before and didn't need advice. But it does take time, patience, and persistence. We did lots of work in the park, far away from the hiking paths, but close enough for her to see people walking their dogs. And lots of trips to home depot and petCo and strip malls and neighborhood walks, and lots and lots of work on impulse control, and she's really caught on! For Nyx to be able to calmly walk by another dog while on leash, well, it's our greatest triumph to date! Everything else was easy, she learns very quickly.

At home depot the other day we came out of an aisle into the paint register area and all roads were blocked by people with dogs. Two of them instantly reacted when they saw Nyx, growling and struggling to get to her. I calmly did a tight 180 and exited the way we came...Nyx didn't growl or react at all! It was awesome LOL!

Anyway, thanks for the comments, she is a good girl! She'll be 20 months old in 3 days...and I'm really really proud and happy about the dog she's becoming!

·
Registered
366 Posts
I was hoping for a closer sighting of the elusive Nyx. More pics, Tim!

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
But it does take time, patience, and persistence.
Truth!

I just love reading stories like this, a big accomplishment after a LOT of work. It makes me :smile2: I think you should be proud of yourself and your gorgeous girl. You both worked very hard, so congratulations.

Treats all 'round!

Aly

·
Registered
875 Posts
Nyx as a young puppy, only 3 or 4 months, became a completely different animal when other dogs approached her on leash. I mean up on the hind legs going berserk kind of animal. Initially, I thought it was just barrier frustration since she had very little leash training at the breeders. But a neighbor with a slightly older puppy was her first encounter, so I asked if their puppy was friendly and if we could let them meet. They were okay with that so I walked Nyx up closer and she literally tried to chew the puppy's face off! Didn't connect, thank god, but it was an eye opener LOL!

I haven't posted much on the forum about it, because I've dealt with this before and didn't need advice. But it does take time, patience, and persistence. We did lots of work in the park, far away from the hiking paths, but close enough for her to see people walking their dogs. And lots of trips to home depot and petCo and strip malls and neighborhood walks, and lots and lots of work on impulse control, and she's really caught on! For Nyx to be able to calmly walk by another dog while on leash, well, it's our greatest triumph to date! Everything else was easy, she learns very quickly.

At home depot the other day we came out of an aisle into the paint register area and all roads were blocked by people with dogs. Two of them instantly reacted when they saw Nyx, growling and struggling to get to her. I calmly did a tight 180 and exited the way we came...Nyx didn't growl or react at all! It was awesome LOL!

Anyway, thanks for the comments, she is a good girl! She'll be 20 months old in 3 days...and I'm really really proud and happy about the dog she's becoming!

As I've said before there are many similarities and parallels in "parenting/raising" a child AND training a pup/young dog...at the end of the day when we look at our adult children or our adult dogs in most cases what we see is....a clear testimony to the job we did raising/training them.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Sounds like a great day was had by all. Nyx is beautiful btw!

Reactions: tim_s_adams

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Beautiful Nyx, Envious of her down!

Rumo is a calm guy and will lay at my feet for an hour at an outdoor cafe, for example, and will stay in "down" as long as I stand by him.
But I can't get more than 2 steps away! He will always stand up and follow me!
I guess he has lots of 'duration' but no 'distance'...
We never covered that in obedience class, so have no idea how to train it.
Certainly I am not accurate enough to hurl a piece of cheese 100 ft to reward him for holding his down! (Then I could try out for the NFL?)

·
Registered
5,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Beautiful Nyx, Envious of her down!

Rumo is a calm guy and will lay at my feet for an hour at an outdoor cafe, for example, and will stay in "down" as long as I stand by him.
But I can't get more than 2 steps away! He will always stand up and follow me!
I guess he has lots of 'duration' but no 'distance'...
We never covered that in obedience class, so have no idea how to train it.
Certainly I am not accurate enough to hurl a piece of cheese 100 ft to reward him for holding his down! (Then I could try out for the NFL?)
Does your dog know stay? Lots of people, trainers, prefer not to use stay. From that perspective your dog should continue to hold on the last command he was given until released. But I'm forgetful at times, and I worry that my dog would be left "holding" a down longer than I ever intended, so I separate them using a stay command... If I do tell her to stay, it helps me to remember that she needs to be released!

But either way, teaching your dog to remain in the down with increasing distance is done incrementally just like any other training. Initially you'd be close, then gradually back a few steps away, reminding the dog to stay if/when he starts to get up. It's a process...and no, you don't throw them a treat, you return and give it to them LOL!

But it's funny you mention that, because since Nyx was a puppy we've practiced what I refer to as calisthenics. Basically just sit, down, and stand up repeatedly. When she was a puppy, she'd inch toward me with each change in position, until she was so close she couldn't lay down without bumping into me...until I figured out why. She was quite reasonably getting closer to her treat! So I started going to her, giving her a treat, then walking back a few paces. Didn't take long for her to realize that I wanted her to stay in the same position. I also did this when building duration on stay. I'd return and treat and praise her multiple times before releasing her from the down stay. And we practiced this daily, in the house initially, until she had it down very well, before taking it outside with any kind of distraction...

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Thanks for the explanation on how you accomplished this! It's very helpful.

Ah ha ha, I WAS actually wondering on how you reward your dog from so far away, because all I have ever done is drop bits of cheese between his paws when he's in a Down.

You are right - in our basic obedience class, we only learned Down and it was assumed that the dog will hold there until you say "OK". (behavior is rewarded by dropping bits of cheese between his paws, and moving from lots of quick little treats to random treats at big intervals ) In Rumo's case, I can stand near him, sit near him, or walk around him, and he holds the Down...but when he sees me taking steps in a Going Away direction, he releases himself and gets up to go with me! I've been practicing turning my shoulders away without moving feet (teacher suggested) and then had progressed to actually taking steps away and we have been stuck for months at 2 Steps. :) I will try the backing away and returning to give the treat!

Love how Nyx is just sitting there in the store aisle -
a very exciting/distracting place to show off her Sit/Stay :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts