German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
I've never had them, but I've heard good things about Danes and Chinese Crested.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Had 2 GD since they were pups till the end, at different times, both were awesome dogs, both had bloated. The 1 st one I had since I was 11y.o, went through obedience and protection training with her, she could be off the leash dog anywhere. We lived in a city and had a country house and she lived with cats, and a toy poodle. Had her for 8 years. The other one was a larger female, so gentle...like a toddler can walk her on a leash. Loved everyone/everything. Had her for 11 years.
Would have another one in a heartbeat!

·
Registered
998 Posts
Had a Great Dane through my middleschool/teen years.

She was very sweet and just as Lexie's mom's Danes, loved all people and all animals. She was not very well-trained and would jump on people and try to "kiss" their face, which she could actually reach. She also used to drag me over to say Hi to other dogs and people (I didn't have much choice in the matter, since she weighed more.) I used to clip her nails by pushing her over until she laid down, grabbed her paw, and did the job. She always submitted and would lick my hand if I "quicked" her. We used to nap together with me putting my head on her side and using her as a pillow (Rumo would never put up with that!)

I feel traitorous saying this, but my Dane was a lot easier of a "pet" than my shep/husky mix. I didn't have to worry about her taking a chunk out of the vet, for instance. :)
Unlike Rumo though, she wasn't very bright...Rumo learns things in 5 repetitions...he seems to be quite smart and thinks/figures things out for himself, too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts