1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
I whole-heartedly agree. And I don't care whether people agree with me or not.

But, I am in Canada and I am also very adamantly opposed to rescue dogs coming here from the US and Mexico.
I don't think rescues should be actively seeking to fill their spots, I am one of those who was in it with the hope that if we educated and promoted responsibility we could eventually close our doors.
Importing dogs that pose a risk to the dogs from here is wrong. Importing dogs to support what has become a really lucrative business is in flagrant violation of what a rescue was supposed to be. The game was to empty the kennels, not fill them.

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
I wonder what they mean by poor temperaments. If the temperaments of these imported Goldens were to present a danger, have no doubt that would be making headline news.

I think stating that 1% of 1 million dogs imported lack appropriate health certifications, do they mean that 1% of dogs imported are from breeders? 99% rescues? Or that half of those dogs are coming from breeders and only .5% of those dogs have proper certifications? There is not enough information given here.

·
Super Moderator
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
AMEN!!!! I'm glad someone is taking the lead on this. A local shelter just imported Korean meat dogs. When they were questioned on their page regarding health testing and safety, they blocked the person.
Unsurprised. Our local shelter was one of the first to helicopter in groups of meat dogs. And then (surprise, no surprise) one of the first to discover that 2 out of two dozen tested positive for brucellosis, putting the entire shelter into quarantine mode and freezing adoptions across a multi-county area....

·
Registered
771 Posts
Good for the GRCA......Once again I must really lead a sheltered life.....I had no idea....is this going on with other breed rescues in some areas of the country where there's a higher demand for a specific breed.. than a "supply" of adoptable dogs on hand ?

·
Registered
7,255 Posts
Many adoption facilities look for dogs that are highly adoptable it is how the business succeeds it is a business even if not profit. Test the dogs put them in quarantine. They import all kinds of animals from other countries and will continue to do so. I know people who feel people should not travel to other countries they bring diseases back.

·
Registered
7,255 Posts
Importing animals animals from other countries is nothing new though the only difference these animals need homes. Are people bringing this over ???? and if not why is quarantine not working and they need rethink why and about bringing any animal bring into the us from any country. Parrots and many birds can give many diseases to people that are often imported from countries to the US. People should not panic but strict regulations should be mandatory to keep people and animals safe and followed as with hundreds of thousands of animals brought into this country -not sure why this is not the case as it should be.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
I never understand when I see articles about importing rescue animals. I get it when it's done after a natural disaster but the general practice boggles my mind. Don't we have enough shelter/rescue dogs as it is. Aren't thousands of dogs euthanized in shelters every year because of lack of space. Mutt or breed specific matters not, I don't understand the practice as a whole. We euth animals already here only to import ones with a high potential of carrying diseases. It's one thing to transport animals from one U.S. shelter/rescue to another or into foster care. But importing them from another country doesn't make sense to me. Sadly we can't save them all and some shouldn't be saved.

·
Registered
4,226 Posts
I'm so over it. There was a time when I passionately believed in dog rescue. Now I hardly want anything to do with ANY organization. The whole thing just seems like a big scam--they are doing what they accuse breeders of doing---selling dogs.

And that's before you get to the millions of bleeding hearts excusing their dogs' bad behavior because "he's a rescue" and "he must have been abused"

I honestly kind of hate myself for this. Because I love dogs so much and there's nothing I wouldn't do for a dog in need and I mean it- I brought home an abandoned dying dog from my vet who peed and puked all over the place and required round the clock care for the tiny amount of time he had left but he didn't deserve to die in a concrete cage all alone...

I just feel like these people have lost their way, they are hiding and excusing aggressive behavior and adopting the dogs out anyway, they obviously aren't trying to protect the dogs from the diseases they are bringing in. So let's talk about the good you are really doing?? Why NOT quarantine the dogs if you really care about dogs?

I left that dying dog in a cage a day longer than he had to be waiting for some tests to come back on him before I brought him home to be sure I wasn't putting my own dogs in danger of anything because that defeats the purpose. I hated him having to go another night like he was but I had to be sure he wasn't bringing home anything with him.

I don't know. I feel so conflicted.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
I'm so over it. There was a time when I passionately believed in dog rescue. Now I hardly want anything to do with ANY organization. The whole thing just seems like a big scam--they are doing what they accuse breeders of doing---selling dogs.

And that's before you get to the millions of bleeding hearts excusing their dogs' bad behavior because "he's a rescue" and "he must have been abused"

I honestly kind of hate myself for this. Because I love dogs so much and there's nothing I wouldn't do for a dog in need and I mean it- I brought home an abandoned dying dog from my vet who peed and puked all over the place and required round the clock care for the tiny amount of time he had left but he didn't deserve to die in a concrete cage all alone...

I just feel like these people have lost their way, they are hiding and excusing aggressive behavior and adopting the dogs out anyway, they obviously aren't trying to protect the dogs from the diseases they are bringing in. So let's talk about the good you are really doing?? Why NOT quarantine the dogs if you really care about dogs?

I left that dying dog in a cage a day longer than he had to be waiting for some tests to come back on him before I brought him home to be sure I wasn't putting my own dogs in danger of anything because that defeats the purpose. I hated him having to go another night like he was but I had to be sure he wasn't bringing home anything with him.

I don't know. I feel so conflicted.
I use to be big into rescue too. Then with time the realization that just as there are checklists for reputable breeders there is also one for rescues. Too many rescues are actually businesses. They go down south, but puppy mill reject adults and the surplus puppies at an auction for dirt cheap then bring them all over the place with sad stories. They are LITERALLY assisting in keeping the puppy mills in business! Does a rescue ALWAYS have puppies? Red Flag. Do they show up at fairs at Petsmart or other places and let people sign pay and leave? Red Flag. They are selling poorly bred dogs. Make zero mistake.

A good rescue should:
-Interview the heck out of you and require a home visit and actually call your vet to get your history.
-Have dogs in foster before putting them up for adoption. They will often have dogs that featured but are not ready yet. A good rescue fully understands that an unknown dog needs a shutdown period in a home environment to see what they will be like in a home.
-will have a vet check, be current on shots and be altered either prior to leaving or will take a deposit that will be returned for proof of a young pup being altered at a future date.

I have found in general breed specific rescues are true rescues raher than a byb/puppy mill boutique.

Don't even get me started on importing rescues. It makes zero sense in the "clear our shelters" movement. Zero. It exposes it for what it is. A money making industry that advertises by pulling heart strings.

I know genuine rescues that pull from city shelters. They are the real deal. And they foster for weeks before adopting out. I have gone to Paterson (If you have ever seen Lean On Me- that is Paterson) AC shelter for a rescue I work with sometimes to check dogs out a dog that someone alerted them to as being one of the saveable ones. Sometimes the hardened workers take them in and see something and put out a whisper. Sometimes you just know. It was the Tuesday before Thanksgiving 2 years ago and I will NEVER forget it. There are 40 dogs there. You know the rescue you are helping out can only pull 1 or 2 max. The floor was wet, they had concrete runs with an outside area for reliving themselves. No real beds just some donated blankets and towels. They were "clearing " the shelter before Thanksgiving. They had to. "Clearing" meaning a mass euth. A bunch of rescues were there seeing who they could pull. Most only had room for one or two. They were looking for young sweet adoptable looking dogs that had a shot at being ok and placed. You walk away knowing the 30 dogs not pulled before the Holiday were going into a gas dumpster. THAT is rescue.

The dog I pulled I didn't foster. Being an unknown and powerful dog we didnt feel a house with kids was his safe first stop. He was so so sweet. Trying to pull your hand through the gate to get closer to you. It broke my heart to leave him there after spending sometime with him even though I knew he was getting pulled. That is how desperate he was for human contact. I named him Trap because he had a head injury or birth defect that made his head shaped like a trapezoid. He found a great home and was named Marvin and he is happy and makes his family happy. I knew he was harmless in my heart, but protocol.

So I also judge the shelters that have a dog in a kennel 2 weeks tops, poke around with a rubber arm while they are eating, and then consider them "evaluated".

Guess I have a lot to say about the whole thing lol

I just placed a Foster for another rescue I help out sometimes a few weeks ago. A WGSL. 6 months old, I named her Gracie. She exploded Giardia all over my house lol She is great now and to see updates of her thriving in her new home makes me so happy. Life dealt her a bum situation and good people made sure she found her way to the right place. That is also rescue. Wish I could do it more, but I am good for one a year lol

·
Registered
371 Posts
Cowboy- I am so with you and see the same thing in dog "rescue". I used to be totally pro adopting dogs - my first two dogs were shelter dogs (family dog and personal dog) and they were wonderful, incredible, amazing mutts that cost all of $75 to adopt. All we had to do was prove home ownership or landlord approval. Then when I went looking for a puppy I knew I wanted a specific breed type (shepherd) and tried rescue first- and encountered my first dose of toxic "rescue folks". I went and got my girl from a responsible breeder, and she has been a pure joy. My most recent addition is a pup I imported from an incredible breeder in the Netherlands- the right way (all health tests, vaccines age appropriate, etc.)

I am so sick of the local rescue and SPCA who import dogs from Puerto Rico and Texas (mostly) - and most of these dogs are hunting hounds (which tend to be quite disappointing as average pets) or bully breeds/mixes. It's really high time we started supporting responsible breeders in the Northeast and shut our doors to imported dogs and the HW, distemper, and brucellosis they are now routinely bringing up here. As for importing meat dogs from China. Enough. We shouldn't be importing until we aren't killing any adoptable dogs in our own shelters.

I love dogs in general, but I love my personal dogs the most, and am tired of people bringing in dogs with health and behavioral issues that threaten people's pets.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Twenty some odd years ago when I was routinely crossing the US/Canada border with my animals it was a source of fascination to me that they never cared about anything except the vet records for the critters. When I moved back from Montana I had 2 dogs, a cat, a gun, smokes, alcohol and a truck full of saddles, clothes, personal items and tools. I was driving a vehicle with Montana plates and had an Alberta license and a Nova Scotia birth certificate.
The ONLY thing they asked for or even looked at was the vaccination records for the animals!
I turned down a job in Australia because of the quarantine requirements for my then senior dog.
So I am infuriated by the fact that under the guise of rescue someone can bring in dozens of dogs without due process that put me, my pets and the population at risk.
Heartworm is a great example of something that should not have happened. And just last year we had a confirmed Chagas case in a group of rescues. We now have a resistant strain of distemper in Ontario, from a rescue.
Partly due to climate barriers, the Northern US and Canada were protected from natural spread of a good many lethal diseases, moving thousands of unvaccinated, unhealthy and unregulated animals around has created a situation where it was bound to happen eventually.
If we are still euthanizing dogs in shelters here then why this huge need to import? Because it's a business, and a lucrative one.
I want nothing to do with rescue as it stands right now. This was not why the rescue move started. And it makes me angry. Because I want to help.

·
Registered
4,226 Posts
Cowboy- I am so with you and see the same thing in dog "rescue". I used to be totally pro adopting dogs - my first two dogs were shelter dogs (family dog and personal dog) and they were wonderful, incredible, amazing mutts that cost all of $75 to adopt. All we had to do was prove home ownership or landlord approval. Then when I went looking for a puppy I knew I wanted a specific breed type (shepherd) and tried rescue first- and encountered my first dose of toxic "rescue folks". I went and got my girl from a responsible breeder, and she has been a pure joy. My most recent addition is a pup I imported from an incredible breeder in the Netherlands- the right way (all health tests, vaccines age appropriate, etc.)

I am so sick of the local rescue and SPCA who import dogs from Puerto Rico and Texas (mostly) - and most of these dogs are hunting hounds (which tend to be quite disappointing as average pets) or bully breeds/mixes. It's really high time we started supporting responsible breeders in the Northeast and shut our doors to imported dogs and the HW, distemper, and brucellosis they are now routinely bringing up here. As for importing meat dogs from China. Enough. We shouldn't be importing until we aren't killing any adoptable dogs in our own shelters.

I love dogs in general, but I love my personal dogs the most, and am tired of people bringing in dogs with health and behavioral issues that threaten people's pets.
Me too, my first dog as an adult was a GSD I adopted out of a kill shelter. They were basically like here, take him. Then my girl, my first SD, from a breeder, and then a second rescue adoption but that was about my first taste of shadiness because there was definitely something shady done with that dog. Either he hadn't been vetted and she lied about his vet/vaccine history, or he had but she had changed his name and age on paper in order to hide him from someone...there was really no way for me to get to the bottom of it but it was weird. AND he had major issues that I feel certain she knew about and failed to disclose because she'd pegged me for someone who would ride it out with him, and she was right... (she being the representative of what actually was a 501c3 pit bull rescue that for some reason had a shepherd)

In my house now I have 3 dogs, all of whom came from reputable breeders, and all of whom behave how you would expect a stable dog of their breed to basically behave. And when family crises have sometimes arisen they have adapted and conducted themselves well.

My last "rescue" ish....was that abandoned dog I brought home from the vet. First, I contacted the breed rescue I've been volunteering for for years (GSD). I thought for sure they would help him but they wanted no part of it, not even when I offered to drive him anywhere in New England. He was intact but fine with people and other dogs and too far gone to neuter. I suppose they were not willing to allocate resources to a dog that was not adoptable because he was terminal. But that upset me. I felt they should have tried to help him find a soft place for his last days. But they would not so feeling more disillusioned, I brought him home myself and declined a volunteer assignment they'd just asked of me because I was busy taking care of this dog...

I totally used to believe that all breeders were the problem and now I see how false that is. I do think the breed rescue I've been volunteering for is legit, but I've scanned their adoptable list dozens of times and almost every single dog on there is fearful. I don't want to live with a fearful dog. I just don't. When you look at them, I'd say 90% of them are fearful, obviously backyard bred dogs. THOSE are the "breeders" that are causing a problem.

I think I'll leave it at this. My vet knows if there is a dog in need I'll try to help if I can, especially if it's a shepherd. That's why they called to tell me about that one. If they ever call me again about a dog, I'll sure help if I can. Other than that, I think I'm just gonna stay out of it because who do you trust?

And sometimes, I think good rescues are a little holier than thou and silly about stuff.

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
I know someone online who adopted an imported rescue. The dog had horrible health problems and it took the rescue group thousands of dollars just make it healthy enough to live. It turned out the dog lived only two years after that and was on constant medications for the entire time.

·
Super Moderator
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
One thing I keep getting hung up on his how few safety checks there are in place to move these live animals internationally.

I had a pair of boots removed from my luggage and destroyed (incinerated!) a few years ago because there was too much dirt in the tread of the soles, they were considered an agricultural biohazard. The boots weren't filthy or anything, but I had failed to deliberately clean the sole crevices with a toothbrush. Those little crumbles of dirt had the potential to ruin crops, so I could either pay a cleaning fee and have them shipped home, or pay nothing and have them burned up. No matter what I offered to pay, or do, the boots wouldn't be handed back to me for my use in that country. I also had some brand new, still wrapped granola bars removed from my luggage and incinerated because they contained honey, and the country I was entering was worried about colony collapse.

How is this the same world that allows animals uninterrupted passage, carrying parasites and/or diseases that we have the ability to test for? :(

·
Registered
9,730 Posts
OR imports mutts from all over the country; sick and, problem behavior, under socialized and they sell easily for $400 or more.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I agree I didn't know the number of import dogs, was surprising to me! What WIBackpacker was saying, doesn't states like California still have check points for plants or fruit coming into the state? I think I'd read Texas has restrictions but I've drove to Houston several times and never saw a check point, so you'd think it'd be even more so for live animals crossing borders. I feel sorry for the dogs, but also agree that there are so many here that never get a home.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts