German Shepherds Forum banner

101 - 112 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
Yeah I am with MAWL on the weight thing. My dogs are NOT "heavy", they just aren't as skinny as some of the working dogs. They meetall the criteria for healthy weight, tuck from the side, defined waist from above. Ribs can be easily felt. My old girl was bouts of stomach problems, once where she couldn't really eat a meal for almost a week. She was so weak and I certainly would not have wanted her to be more weak than that just so I could keep her skinnier.

The vets always compliment me on my dog's weight. The boy I find has behavioral problems if I keep him too thin. He is hungry and tries to eat crap he shouldn't be eating, but if I keep him at this weight he doesn't do that

Really hope Mako improves. Can you get him some raw goat milk?

·
Registered
5,904 Posts
Yeah I am with MAWL on the weight thing. My dogs are NOT "heavy", they just aren't as skinny as some of the working dogs. They meetall the criteria for healthy weight, tuck from the side, defined waist from above. Ribs can be easily felt. My old girl was bouts of stomach problems, once where she couldn't really eat a meal for almost a week. She was so weak and I certainly would not have wanted her to be more weak than that just so I could keep her skinnier.

The vets always compliment me on my dog's weight. The boy I find has behavioral problems if I keep him too thin. He is hungry and tries to eat crap he shouldn't be eating, but if I keep him at this weight he doesn't do that

Some of the physical markers are genetic factors as well and they don't tell you that in the pictorials on how to judge a dog's weight.

The bottom line could lack a tuck up simply because of genetics.

Many dogs don't have clearly defined waists due to lack of musculature in the rear things and sometimes that is just simply genetic as well.

It is not fair to the dogs to evaluate them based on pictures that do not take these genetics traits into account.

I agree that many dogs are kept hungry to achieve a too lean physique. Just look at human models through the years and the anorexia, bulimia, and drugs involved with many of them to achieve and maintain their look.

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
Max was on thin side and was having a neuter so I just wanted him have a little extra weight on,as not eating even for normal for two days, as any stress on their body -dogs do loose weight pretty fast even if they are eating normal, they can also gain weight pretty fast. I used the goats milk and added some extra meat in his diet and he seemed to fill out a little more.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
Yes. He has been drinking raw goats milk. There had been quite a few days where the only calories he willingly consumed came from raw goats milk. *sigh*

He's always been picky and not crazy food motivated. With how yucky the meds make him feel he literally just wanted nothing to do with food.

The Munchies have let up a lot the past few days. But his appetite is still better than it was before. He's interested in kongs and puzzle toys again.

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
Yes. He has been drinking raw goats milk. There had been quite a few days where the only calories he willingly consumed came from raw goats milk. *sigh*

He's always been picky and not crazy food motivated. With how yucky the meds make him feel he literally just wanted nothing to do with food.

The Munchies have let up a lot the past few days. But his appetite is still better than it was before. He's interested in kongs and puzzle toys again.
I don't know where you are or if you have choices, but milk from a Nigerian dwarf goat would be the best, it is highest in protein and fat of any breed. Nubian second to nigerian but a big difference in composition. Nubians are more popular and probably easier to find but Nigerian more nutriritous. Then Alpine, Saanen lowest fat and protein.

I even went so far as to feed a rescur this powdered weight gain supplement that advertised appetite stimulant. It did seem to help. I could try to figure out what it was called if you want to know.

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
Some of the physical markers are genetic factors as well and they don't tell you that in the pictorials on how to judge a dog's weight.

The bottom line could lack a tuck up simply because of genetics.

Many dogs don't have clearly defined waists due to lack of musculature in the rear things and sometimes that is just simply genetic as well.

It is not fair to the dogs to evaluate them based on pictures that do not take these genetics traits into account.

I agree that many dogs are kept hungry to achieve a too lean physique. Just look at human models through the years and the anorexia, bulimia, and drugs involved with many of them to achieve and maintain their look.
I guess if it is to build food drive for a working dog...? Heck my dog could stand to have more food drive but due to our lifestyle (lots of ffleash hiking), ot just doesn't work for us. The difference in telling him to leave it to a pile of turkey poop or deer poop or dead thing he found if he is really skinny/hungry vs fit and not so hungry is a factor for me. I don't need to be up against anything that makes it harder or makes him want to eat that crap MORE.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
Just wanted to give a little update.

I have started to use Ocular Compression as needed. Still too early to tell how much it is going to help, but I used it last night to outright STOP a seizure while it was happening, and then continued to use it afterwards greatly reducing the normal postictal behavior. My boy normally gets cluster seizures and with the use of the OC he did NOT get another seizure last night.

Cautiously optimistic.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Help

My 6 year old GS has Epilepsy. He averages 1 - 2 grand mal seizures a month that last about 45 seconds. I’ve prescribed Phenobarbital, Levetiracetam xr, Potassium Bromide and imo with unsatisfactory results. I’m open to homeopathic/diet suggestions though there’s no guarantees (results may vary). ...hope to find a concoction that will reduce his seizures to a handful a year (I’ll research the forum too)!

...appreciate your comments and suggestions, Thnx in advance! Rich

·
Registered
7 Posts
I found a nontoxic prescription cocktail and so far he's seizure free for 7 months! Of course it may not be for all dogs but now my GS is in a safe place : )

101 - 112 of 112 Posts