German Shepherds Forum banner

81 - 100 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Thanks for checking in on us.

He is still having seizures. Mostly of the petite mal / focal variety. Almost 48 hours clear from the last.

He's now on phenobarbital, potassium bromide, and metoclopramide (for nausea). He also has valium on hand incase he doesn't come out of one.

The side effects from the meds are hitting him hard. Very drowsy. Zombie dog. Zero appetite - he's lost 5lbs since this all started. Increased thirst.

Hoping that once the seizures are under control we can reduce the med dosages to maintain him to a level where he can actually function.
Be patient with the meds - the side effects will most likely fade off. Yes, they will; he may always be a touch slow, but the zombie dog phase will most likely pass.

Mention increased thirst to your vet.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Sending lots of love and healing hugs to your boy.

My Ghost started with Grand Mal seizures about 1 month after his neuter surgery, they gave him a rabies shot at the same time, come to find out this is not what should be done and THEY should know better. When he started with the seizures they were awful but the worse part about the seizures where when he came out of them it was terrifying, vicious and dangerous. This was a dog that didn't have a mean bone in his body and he attacked me and my husband, well, like he had rabies. I will always have scars but that wasn't my dog, he would never have done that. It took him hours to come out of the first seizure and reaction and he had two more quickly after that, the vet told me the reaction was rare and in his opinion would always be the reaction he'd have, his recommendation was to put him down. After he had another and went after all five of the vets/techs he said that putting him down was my only choice for the safety of my family. I am still heartbroken because I would have tried all the drugs and whatever it took if his reaction had not been so crazy. Please check your vet/vaccine records. I swear on my life that the rabies vaccine caused it. The vet said not but thought it was a genetic issue or maybe he had an injury when he was a tiny pup.
I hope they figure it out and get the meds to a level he can function. Its so scary. Good luck to you and your sweet boy.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #83

My Ghost started with Grand Mal seizures about 1 month after his neuter surgery, they gave him a rabies shot at the same time, come to find out this is not what should be done and THEY should know better. When he started with the seizures they were awful but the worse part about the seizures where when he came out of them it was terrifying, vicious and dangerous. This was a dog that didn't have a mean bone in his body and he attacked me and my husband, well, like he had rabies. I will always have scars but that wasn't my dog, he would never have done that. It took him hours to come out of the first seizure and reaction and he had two more quickly after that, the vet told me the reaction was rare and in his opinion would always be the reaction he'd have, his recommendation was to put him down. After he had another and went after all five of the vets/techs he said that putting him down was my only choice for the safety of my family. I am still heartbroken because I would have tried all the drugs and whatever it took if his reaction had not been so crazy. Please check your vet/vaccine records. I swear on my life that the rabies vaccine caused it. The vet said not but thought it was a genetic issue or maybe he had an injury when he was a tiny pup.
I hope they figure it out and get the meds to a level he can function. Its so scary. Good luck to you and your sweet boy.
I'm so sorry about your ghost :(

Luckily thus far his post seizure phase just involves a lot of pacing and unrest. No aggresssion. I pray it stays that way.

Thank you for sharing your experience.

·
Registered
84 Posts

About Ghost, that's every dog owner's perfect ****. I'm so sorry.... :'(

·
Registered
37 Posts
When I saw your thread my heart sank but I am glad that your baby is not having the same reaction as Ghost did. I hope that this can get sorted out and he can go on to live many happy years with you. They are not just animals, they are family. Continued love and healing hugs to your boy and you.

Mine was one I wouldn't wish on anyone. I understand grief and I have been through losing my pets too many times, it happens if you have pets, not one has lived long enough. But the grief for my Ghost is overwhelming. Part of it is the only dog thing, from experience I know it's easier to heal when you have other pets to comfort you, the other part is the sudden and awful way we lost him, the other thing was he was truly my boy.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
12/21 update for anyone who is following

The seizures are continuing. He's had 16 in the past 2 weeks. Not going more than 2 - 3 days inbetween and they come in clusters.

He has lost quite a bit of weight, most likely side effects of the medication he is currently on. Down 11.4 lbs total so far. He is a small framed dog to begin with, so it's pretty drastic on him. He is a very poor appetite.

We had a vet appointment today and his Doctor wants to take him off the phenobarbital and try a different drug. We'll be weaning him off the pheno and be putting him on keppra.

The doctor is also starting him on some herbs. Valerian, passion flower, st john's and a few others.

Plus he has an acupuncture appointment after christmas.

The seizures take a lot out of him physically, but the days between he is still a troublemaker!

Hoping the new meds are more successful in controlling the seizures.

·
Registered
7,904 Posts

The seizures are continuing. He's had 16 in the past 2 weeks. Not going more than 2 - 3 days inbetween and they come in clusters.

He has lost quite a bit of weight, most likely side effects of the medication he is currently on. Down 11.4 lbs total so far. He is a small framed dog to begin with, so it's pretty drastic on him. He is a very poor appetite.

We had a vet appointment today and his Doctor wants to take him off the phenobarbital and try a different drug. We'll be weaning him off the pheno and be putting him on keppra.

The doctor is also starting him on some herbs. Valerian, passion flower, st john's and a few others.

The seizures take a lot out of him physically, but the days between he is still a troublemaker!

My heart is breaking for you right now. Make sure that your neurologist is involved in the switch over of drugs. In some cases the amount of Phenobarbital increases as new drugs are added. It's a weird thing.

I second the looking for CBD oil. As a vet professional, I can't tell you to do that. Not federally approved. But if it was my dog, I would look into it.

If you PM, I can get you in touch with some good friends of mine who are going through the same thing with their young GSD. At least to give you a shoulder to lean on and talk to.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
I've looked into to the medical marijuana. It is not legal in my state.

From my understanding of the research, the CBD is more effective when there are trace amounts of THC so not all CBD oil is created equal.

However, someone who definitely is not me, has this pet parrot with an eye patch and a pirate hat, who knows a green flying monkey, who knows a cranky old walrus who can get some "stuff". This person who is definitely not me has discussed with their kick'n A old hippie vet, who may or may not have recommended a certain book by a DVM in a state that does allow those sort of shenanigans that discussed dosing and and processing of the *ahem* raw materials for canine usage. All while saying they can't recommend it wink wink nudge nudge. But like I said.. this person is definitely not me. 0:)

·
Registered
7,904 Posts
Yup. Just like me, I can't recommend it, as a professional in the industry it is not approved nor is it legal. There are no studies on it.

I really wish your dog, and whatever treatment is found, to be effective.

·
Registered
124 Posts

That sucks. And I know how much it sucks! Hang in there.

GSDs are known to have idiopathic epilepsy run in the breed, and they are also known to have refractory/difficult to manage epilepsy...like my dog did.

Please try to find a vet that can help you if you choose the CBD route. It may work in people, but it is unknown for dogs. I tried CBD as a last ditch effort, it did nothing for my dog.

FIY Keppra has what is called a "honeymoon period"...it works well, but then all of a sudden your dog breaks through again. It happened to us - I thought it was this magic drug for months until WHAM.

Have your vet prescribe some diazepam or midazolam to have at home. You can give diazepam rectally (Plumb does not rec. rectal midazolam) or either one intranasally (there is a cone attachment for intranasal that makes the drug a mist). It can really help, and could potentially save your dogs life.

Our neurologist was also OK with me giving my dog an extra dose of some of her meds if she seemed "off"/was going to seizure that day. We have also had success giving an extra dose right after she had one seizure, if she was aware enough to eat it/had her swallow/gag reflex. Obviously, get the go ahead from the vet overseeing your dog...but it worked for us. For awhile, anyway.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Wishing you the best. Hope this can end soon.
Glad to hear that someone - who is not you - has perhaps found a way to get 'their' hands on CBD/THC. Such a shame it is not medically approved nor legalised where you live.
In that sense, we really live in a different world.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I hope a course of treatment can be found to bring an end to these seizures for your boy. I had a dog in the past that suffered from seizures brought on by a rabies vaccine. He actually was given a lifetime exemption from the vaccine. It took about 4 years after the vaccine, but as time passed his seizures became further apart and eventually totally stopped. I assume as the vaccine wore off. It was a relief when they stopped and I wish this for you and your dog whatever the cause. Stay strong!!

·
Registered
564 Posts
I am sorry to hear that the seizures are still continuing, especially at that rate. I hope any new "medications" will be of great benefit.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
Mako has started on his 'alternative' therapy.

There is a DRASTIC improvement in his appetite.

He's got the munchies. LOL

We have about 50% reduction of seizures. He's still getting quite a bit of them. But it's still early with the new meds and therapies. So hopefully they will continue to dwindle in frequency.

Hopefully his condition will improve now that he is eating again. Its heartbreaking to feel the skeleton on such a young dog eveytime you stroke him. :(
He is so bony and has loose skin everywhere. It's shocking how quickly he dropped weight.

There are a few vitamins and minerals that low levels of are associated with seizure activity. I can't help but think his poor appetite was leading to low vitamin b or magnesium or something and just exasperating the issue.

Thank you everyone for your support on this thread and in PMs. It's been super helpful.

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
Mako has started on his 'alternative' therapy.

There is a DRASTIC improvement in his appetite.

He's got the munchies. LOL

We have about 50% reduction of seizures. He's still getting quite a bit of them. But it's still early with the new meds and therapies. So hopefully they will continue to dwindle in frequency.

Hopefully his condition will improve now that he is eating again. Its heartbreaking to feel the skeleton on such a young dog eveytime you stroke him. :(
He is so bony and has loose skin everywhere. It's shocking how quickly he dropped weight.

There are a few vitamins and minerals that low levels of are associated with seizure activity. I can't help but think his poor appetite was leading to low vitamin b or magnesium or something and just exasperating the issue.

Thank you everyone for your support on this thread and in PMs. It's been super helpful.
This is why I am a HUGE supporter of maintaining at least average weight or a couple of extra pounds and not keeping a dog lean. If they get sick, it makes a tremendous difference.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
This is why I am a HUGE supporter of maintaining at least average weight or a couple of extra pounds and not keeping a dog lean. If they get sick, it makes a tremendous difference.
Yeah, but those "couple extra pounds" are going to disappear quickly when an animal becomes sick and not do much to help. I have large patients that maybe have a little extra around the waist lose kgs within a week when hospitalized. Meanwhile, for long term joint and arthritic health, it is MUCH healthier to keep a dog lean. Studies have shown an increased lifespan of years with dogs kept lean compared to just a little overweight. As a veterinary professional, I 100% disagree with keeping a dog a little heavy "just in case".

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
Yeah, but those "couple extra pounds" are going to disappear quickly when an animal becomes sick and not do much to help. I have large patients that maybe have a little extra around the waist lose kgs within a week when hospitalized. Meanwhile, for long term joint and arthritic health, it is MUCH healthier to keep a dog lean. Studies have shown an increased lifespan of years with dogs kept lean compared to just a little overweight. As a veterinary professional, I 100% disagree with keeping a dog a little heavy "just in case".
Well, we will have to agree to disagree. Even human doctors no longer recommend the elderly lose those last 10-15 pounds so they have reserves to draw on during sickness.

And yes, those reserves of fat go down real fast when a dog is ill, and it is even harder on a dog that doesn't have those fat reserves in the first place.

81 - 100 of 112 Posts