German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm at the emergency vet. Sitting in the waiting room. My dog collapsed and had a grand mal seizure this morning. Then a second seizure while en route to the emergency vet.

Not sure what caused it yet. He has slightly elevated body temperature.

Anyone else dealt with this?

*I know seizures can have a wide variety of causes... just beside myself with worry and want to make sure I annoy the vet and ask about every possible angle. :(

·
Registered
7,904 Posts
Oh no! How old is your dog? Any recent flea/tick Meds? Any plant injection? Mushrooms in the yard?

Seizures will CAUSE an elevated temperature too. But a fever from infection can as well. Has he been feeling ok otherwise?

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh no! How old is your dog? Any recent flea/tick Meds? Any plant injection? Mushrooms in the yard?

Seizures will CAUSE an elevated temperature too. But a fever from infection can as well. Has he been feeling ok otherwise?
He's 18 months. No flea and tick or any other meds. Hasn't eaten anything that wasn't food, though he is a "grazer" outside. But we've been in a drought so there aren't any greens or mushrooms for him to eat. Went through the house to see if there was any evidence of an accidental poisoning - nothing turned up. I even counted my perscriptions to see if there was a dropped pill or something but all my numbers added up.

He has had a mild case of conjunctivitis, just a little eye goop in the left that we were letting run its course. He has been a bit more restless the past few days. A little whiney,clingy, and wanting to play a lot more than usual. Thought it was because I hadn't exercised him as much as normal this week. I did pass that info to the vet. Didn't get the impression he thought it was relevant.

They're doing a full blood panel to start. It's really busy in here. Lots of pups got into turkey carcasses I guess. They dosed him with phenobarbital, but I think his blood work keeps getting pushed back because more dire cases are walking in. I've been here over an hour now...

Just want to make sure he isn't in organ failure or something :(

·
Super Moderator
6,025 Posts
Hoping your boy is ok.Sending healing thoughts your way.

·
Registered
7,904 Posts
The whiny restlessness could have been a pre-Ichtal period. They know something is wrong inside.

I hope he is ok and the Meds stop the seizures. Has he had anymore?

Yes, vet techs call today Brown Friday. Due to all the GI issues.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Oh, so sorry. My 10 year old dog started having seizures and in the end it turned out they were due to a fungal infection "Valley Fever". Any chance of something similar in your area, as far as fungal?

The titers are often inconclusive until too late, best to go for a PCR. If there is any chance it is fungal. It wouldn't be Valley Fever, but there are other fungal infections native to your region you might want to research. They tend to cross the "blood brain" barrier fairly easily and result in siezures.

I hope it's just something minor.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Hope all goes well and he is feeling better soon.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Oh no! Hope you can figure out what is wrong. Sending healing thoughts your boy's way.

Any neighbors that may have tossed something over your fence, or possibly a passerby?

·
Registered
7,196 Posts
Sorry this happened, hope they can find a cause and possible solution. Do you have other dogs in the home? I only ask as some can act aggressively to a dog who is having a seizure. Found this out the hard way.

Oh, so sorry. My 10 year old dog started having seizures and in the end it turned out they were due to a fungal infection "Valley Fever". Any chance of something similar in your area, as far as fungal?

The titers are often inconclusive until too late, best to go for a PCR. If there is any chance it is fungal. It wouldn't be Valley Fever, but there are other fungal infections native to your region you might want to research. They tend to cross the "blood brain" barrier fairly easily and result in siezures.

I hope it's just something minor.
Were they able to treat the fungal infection? and were there any further seizures?

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Blood work came back. He has slightly elevated white counts. The vet isn't sure if it's related to the seizure or if it's from the slight congestion and conjunctivitis he has... Everything else is within normal ranges. So the lack of kidney and liver involvement has pretty much ruled out poisoning. They did a few antibody tests... but nothing yet. No dietary deficiencies either (they were concerned it could be a possibility because I do home made instead of kibble...)

I gave the go ahead for an MRI and spinal fluid analysis.

Concerned about enchepalitis. Need to rule out a brain infection.

He's staying over night and probably most of tomorrow. Maybe longer depending on results from the aforementioned tests.

Thank you for the well wishes everyone!

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Thoughts and prayers! My collie had one at age two and never had another. Hoping the same thing for your dog.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you everyone for your concern and questions. I've got a list going to discuss with the doctors.

I got an update this morning, and he's not doing too well. He still has a fever, now he has nausea, has been vomiting, and was described as "very withdrawn".

Not sure if these are new symptoms of what ever is wrong or if he is experiencing side effects from the drugs they've been using...

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
There is no Tom tom or tomcat mouse poison anywhere? A mouse eaten with this poison in its system? I've heard some stories about this lately.

1 - 20 of 112 Posts