German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
31,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the true advantages of "grain free"?

After researching new kibble for Sierra and Chaos, I've come to the conclusion that all we've done is trade protein from corn for protein in peas. Traded wheat for rice and sorghum. The fruits and vegetable added into the grain free are minimal ingredients.

I looked at the Victor dog food and settled on one WITH grain because it had a higher protein content from meat. The grain free food had 5-10% less protein from meat!

I don't see how anything is gained from grain free food when there isn't any more meat content in there.

Reactions: gsdoglife

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Assuming there's no allergies, feeding a potato is pretty much the same as some rice to a carnivore. It's pretty much a wash.

·
Registered
31,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's my opinion as well. If you really look at the ingredients and figure out what percentage is meat vs grain to non-grain. It's just trading one ingredient for another.

Corn to peas
Rice to Potatoes
Wheat to Sorghum

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Very sable123 of me, but... it's a fad.

Personally, I've fed both. Had good results with some and bad results with others. Lucy's on grain free because she loves the food so much and does well on it. My current puppy's on a grain free (from the breeder), but I'm switching him over to a grain inclusive kibble soon. I'm more concerned with the company that's making the food than if there's some rice or peas in it.

·
Registered
31,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LOL. I agree. If you truly want to go grain free...just go raw

I've fed TOTW, Canidae ALS and we just started the Victor. So far, both dogs are doing well on it and Sierra has stopped throwing up. Only downside is we have to order it in but even with the shipping it was only about $1/lb.

Reactions: gsdoglife

·
Registered
381 Posts
LOL. I agree. If you truly want to go grain free...just go raw

I've fed TOTW, Canidae ALS and we just started the Victor. So far, both dogs are doing well on it and Sierra has stopped throwing up. Only downside is we have to order it in but even with the shipping it was only about $1/lb.
Carbs are carbs. I don't think there is any advantage to potatoes over rice, barley and millet. Plus, the grain-free often have less meat and more plant based protein, such as peas, pea protein or potato protein.

Where do you order the Victor from? It looks like a great choice at a reasonable price.

·
Registered
31,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
victorpet.com
Made and sourced here in the US. Non GMO. And you can look up all the food to find the percentage of meat and grain/non grain ingredients.

You can look for a local store here
http://www.victordogfood.com/

·
Registered
381 Posts
victorpet.com
Made and sourced here in the US. Non GMO. And you can look up all the food to find the percentage of meat and grain/non grain ingredients.

You can look for a local store here
Victor Super Premium Dog Food
Nice. Thanks. I found two stores in my area I never heard of before.

·
Registered
31,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Call first. They have one place near me that I called and she was stunned to find out she was a store! lol

·
Registered
381 Posts
LOL. Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
As you've seen some foods that have grain are better quality than a basic grain-free food. But, imo the better grain-free foods are superior (ex Orijen 6 fish is 80% protein from meat and Nature's Variety Instinct turkey has 70% protein from meat). When I fed kibble I rotated between these brands until Orijen got so expensive. But I found Nature's Variety frequently on sale at Petco.

Edit: I just looked up the Victor foods and was surprised at those meat levels! But, I don't understand how the one formula is almost 80% iirc, but the first ingredient is sorghum?

·
Registered
31,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Which one is that?

·
Registered
31,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This one?
VICTOR SELECT Multi-Pro
Maintenance

Kind of makes sense. 25% protein from sorghum as the first ingredient. 7% from the alfalfa. 68% from the meat sources

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
Oops I messed up- the NV and Orijen are actually 70 and 80% respectively meat and animal oils, whereas the Victor is giving the percentage of protein from meat, but that doesn't mean their food are made up of that amount of meat.

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
....but when 70% of the food is "meat", most of that 70% is water. Meat meal is a different story. Much less water more protein per given weight.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
....but when 70% of the food is "meat", most of that 70% is water. Meat meal is a different story. Much less water more protein per given weight.
Yes I know, and I was just using the term meat, but the actual ingredients are meat meals. I should have been more specific.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
I mix them.

I was told that it has to do with digestion and allergies.

For example people and animals have more of a tendency to allergy and digestion problems eating grains than eating potatoes or peas. Lots of problems with wheat.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
The first two ingredients in the 6 fish are not meat meals. And four out of the first six ingredients in the adult formulas are not meat meals either. That's going to be a whole lot of weight that's going to be lost once the cooking process begins. I bet those percentages go way down if they were given "as fed". It is a little misleading.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
The first two ingredients in the 6 fish are not meat meals. And four out of the first six ingredients in the adult formulas are not meat meals either. That's going to be a whole lot of weight that's going to be lost once the cooking process begins. I bet those percentages go way down if they were given "as fed". It is a little misleading.
They are all meat meals in the NV though. I think they used to be in the Orijen too, but the price increased and formula changed and I stopped feeding it.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Oh yeah, you're right. I forgot you mentioned the natures variety too.

I actually feed a champion food with good results, so not trying to say it's bad or anything like that. It just costs an arm and a leg if you need to feed large amounts of orijen these days.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts