German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pretty proud of my little girl last night. Competitive obedience isn't really her thing...she will do it, but it does not hold her attention as well as Nosework does.

To graduate from this class, we do 2 mock rally courses and we're graded. Her first run was, IMO, not very good. She did well until we got to one spot in the room where we had to "call front; finish right." Katsu would not listen or cooperate. I'd call her front, and she'd step out past me, then stop and stare at two chairs off to the right of me. She had never do this before. I retried the command a few times after resetting her position, but she kept doing the same thing. Seeing I was frustrated, my instructor called us off the course, telling me to give her a break and try again from where we got stuck after the next dog. Once we got back on the course, we managed to finish with a 195/200. I still had to "fight" with her in that one spot to get her to listen. For a bit, I thought maybe she was going into season soon, since last time she became very uncooperative the month before.

As we sat waiting for the 2nd course to be set up, Katsu walked over to a table, pressed her nose against an edge and laid down with her nose in that spot. I ignored it at first, thinking she was just being weird, but then she stood up, looked at me, and repeated the gesture. She's alerting, I realized. Curious, I looked under the table and sure enough there was a small tin sitting there labelled "anise."

I waited for our Rally instructor to finish speaking before letting her know someone left a hide in the room. As I hand it off, Katsu alerts on another object - sure enough, another hide. I let our instructor know again who then proceeds to text the Nosework instructor to tell him he forgot about the hides he had planted last time he was in the building (2 days ago). She had us search the room and we find a total of 6 - one on the two chairs Katsu kept staring at.

Once the room was cleared, we did the 2nd course with a 198.5/200. The 1 point was docked because I did a "forward right" instead of "finish right" and the half point was because I dropped food and Katsu "dove" for it, but didn't pull the leash taut.

I've never experienced when someone leaves a hide in a public space, but now I know Katsu knows her odors. :grin2: All three were present in the room. The other students said they were pretty impressed seeing her work. I feel bad about her alerting when we weren't searching, but I guess the odor was so strong/distracting she couldn't help it...or maybe she just REALLY likes Nosework. :grin2:

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! :grin2:

I'm not quite sure if it's something we'll pursue just yet. She doesn't seem to enjoy it, but it could just be that her food drive isn't high enough. I had her doing a prancing heel last weekend for about 5-8 steps for her tug/bite pillow. We'll see.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts