German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.my name is Brad and my beautiful girls name is Ryley! I had a customer of mine at work offered me a puppy with a grade 3 heart murmur. He did tell me up front about it and her health could go one of 2 ways. She could live a long happy life or things could turn for the worst. I did read up a bit on it before I took her home. He also said that if things turn for the worst. He will give me and my family a new puppy if and when we are ready for another one but let's just hope that doesnt happen. So she is a very well behaved 5 month old girl. She listens very well for a young puppy.

My question is.. So should I try to keep her calm and only play with her in short spurts? Also how often do others feed their pups and how much? I was told to feed her 1 1/2 cups of food a day because I want to make sure she stays lean and doesnt get over weight and add extra work on her heart. Does this sound right to you guys? Also is there any kind of advise any of you would have in regards to raising a puppy with a grade 3 heart murmur?? All advise and comments welcome!
Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
7,904 Posts
A murmur is not a diagnosis. There is zero way to tell if restricted activity is needed without knowing the source of the murmur.

Many things can cause a murmur. Your best bet is to find a veterinary cardiologist and have an echo done to determine the source of the murmur, then they can tell you if there is anything to be done or if it's benign.

Your pup is super cute and I hope that she has no ill effects. I work fir a vet Cardio, so let me know if you have any more questions.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts