German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here bought a GPS for there dog. If goes on their collar really light weight and you can see were they are 24/7 online, from your phone when you are away from the home. Also if the dog comes out of your yard or your safe zone you are alerted. I wanted to get peoples opinions on this? My dog is crated during the day and has tags. Otto is an inside dog. He never alone in the back yard. Also thinking about get him microchiped as well. I just want to be on the safe side..... just in case! Is this going over board??? :confused:

I have been looking at Spotlite here is their link:
GPS Pet Locator, GPS Dog Collar, GPS Pet Tracker, SpotLite, SpotLight - Securus Inc.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
Ref: being stolen, it would help to alert but they're going to remove that immediately and it won't do any good. Would certainly help tracking a lost pet though...

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Ref: being stolen, it would help to alert but they're going to remove that immediately and it won't do any good. Would certainly help tracking a lost pet though...
They could remove it, but there's always a chance that they won't, which would be good enough for me. Dog thieves usually need a collar to control the dog, so I can't imagine them taking it off until they get the dog to their house or wherever.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The device is attched to the collar. Most people would not notice it....or even know what it is. There is a safe zone circle that you can put around your house online. You can even use mutiple zones like a summer home or park. So any time your dog leaves that circle and instant Email is sent to you and your cell phone. At least you can see which way the dog went and find them. I did own an english bull dog an fawn pit bull that got stolen from my back yard in Feb. of this year. ( We were in the living room.) Yes the were alone in the yard for 15 mins. (Please don't judge I learned a very hard lesson) It crushed our Family. We don't want it to happen again. Better safe than sorry right?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Wow, I really like this idea. I've lost a dog once and was devastated, never got him back. I would totally look into this.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'am going to keep doing more reseach on this. I will let you know if I come across some thing that better so far the spotlite seems perfect!

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
Overkill , I say no way. Sounds like a great idea but how much .
I was reading above people talking about if someone steels your dog from inside your house. You have very friendly dogs if they could do that. I have had 6 GSD's and they get along with everyone but nobody in their right mind would come into my yard or my house on their own.

·
Registered
386 Posts
yeah the devices are pretty small now days, the only reason the vehicle ones are sorta big is the display unit... but even small cell phones have real GPS on them.. i don't know how much a subscription would be since i would "assume" that it would use cell phone technology to report back where the dog is... but watch out, you may get aGPS which uses 3 or more cell phone towers to pin point the device... which can be about 4 or more blocks correct

1 - 10 of 10 Posts