German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I had an interesting walk tonight! I have to admit, I haven't gone on a walk with Arthur the last couple of days. He was pretty hyper so I figured we needed to go on one before bed.

There was a beautiful sunset and it was the perfect temp at around 50°F. When we do night walks we do so off leash. He knows his commands and listens. Plus there are rarely dogs or people at night which is great. We did some nose work, played some ball, did a bit of distance obedience and recall, then turned around to head home.

I saw a car coming up from behind, put him in a heel and let them pass. Then I saw a ditch and a new trick idea popped into my mind. What if I could tell him to "Go, go, go!" And he would go in the ditch and crouch down. That would be fun, and even useful! About 10 minutes later I hear what I thought was a motorcycle coming up behind. Still walking along the irrigation ditch/stream I decided I would jump in there with Arthur get him into a down and crouch down with him. I was actually recording that(though you can't see much). Took a few tries to get him in a down, but within 5 seconds I had him down next to me. It was actually a car! They were going crazy fast. So I was glad I moved over and did it!

We got out of the ditch and started back home. Seeing 2 cars was already out of the norm. A 60min walk we will usually see 1. A few minutes later I can see another car coming over the hill. I wanted to do the "Go, go, go!" Thing again. I thought we were still next to an area with a ditch we could go down in.

I hop over into what I think is a ditch because of the shadows, only to go down about 6in. I was already on the ground with Arthur in a down I was clearly a big lump in this tiny little ditch next to the road. The car was then about 20 seconds away from us and I just tried to lay as flat as I can. Well, Arthur seems to decide I am being weird and pushes his nose under my hands that are covering my face and push my face up. Then he pushes me back to a sitting position and then all the way onto my back where he performs DPT on me. Something he learned a long time ago as a task when he was a SD in training. I rarely use it aside from waking up at night. To my horror, the truck slows down. He jumps out after seeing what I assume looked like a dog attacking someone's face(With kisses he was!)

"Hey, hey. You alright!?" At that point, I had pushed Arthur aside and was just starting to stand up. I was having trouble trying to hold in a laugh! "Oh yeah! I am just out trying to train a bit! Sorry about that" I started trying to make it look like I wasn't just trying to hide in a ditch and got Arthur to do a down and look at me. The guy laughed and apologized before saying he was a nice dog and getting back in. I had to let out a laugh once they left. I found it hilarious!

It's times like these that I wish I wore a GoPro on all our walks. Needless to say, it was a fun, interesting, productive, scary, funny, embarrassing night.

Never a dull moment with a GSD!
Pictures from right before and a few minutes after we left on our walk tonight.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,954 Posts
glad you had a laugh and not a twisted ankle. That is a cool story.

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
Wow! Beautiful pics!

Reactions: NiabiTheGreat
1 - 3 of 3 Posts