German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Banned
4,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought it would be fun to share "day 1" memories about our pups.:) There are certain things that stick in our minds forever and the day we pick up our puppy is one.:) here's mine - hope you can share yours too:)

We got to the breeders (way out in the country) gorgeous setting overlooking a large valley. Sire greeted us with barks, when owners came out he walked around us wagging his tail.

7 puppies in the outdoor puppy run. As I approached I was wondering which one was the female I had chosen. The puppies were a jumping churning mass trying to be first to kiss my hand thru the fence. Two puppies went to the back of the pen and got out of the fray. One was obviously the runt and the other quite large - was just sitting there calm and making direct eye contact with me.

I finished petting the 5 up front, stood up and asked the breeder "That's her isn't it - the one in the back studying me so seriously?" She laughed said yes, that's your girl... My friend said "woah, how did you know?" I laughed and said "she and I are already having a deep conversation":D

·
Premium Member
7,820 Posts
Great thread idea. We met Daisy at the breeders and she was definitely her own dog. She also did not join the rush but calmly walked over to us and sat in front of me.
Daisy brought her to my adoptive dad's house and she was wrapped in my jacket . They thought we had a baby and I said yeah we do her name is Daisy and she has four feet. It was a very warm day before MLK day so she kept my jacket when we went home finally. She had all of us wrapped around her little paw. She came home and we had her in the family room in our basement and my husband slept with her on the couch barricaded by pillows. Oh man then the Days of Daisy started.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Molly - After our dog Mandy died of cancer at age 8, I could not wait to get another dog. I had to wait 2 months until most of my college classes were over (I returned to college in my 40's). I found a breeder about 45 minutes away and I just went to him. A couple of my husband's cop friends used this breeder. At that time none of the animal shelters had GSDs, mostly pits and Chihuas. Still too emotional to pick a pup, I let my adult daughter choose. We arrived at the breeder and there were about 6 puppies available, they were 8 weeks old but we didn't expect them to be so large! Molly was 18 lbs. We said we wanted a female which was a relief to the breeder, as I suspect most people want males? And two of the males were already reserved. My daughter sat in a large out door kennel with some pups and chose the one that kept interacting with her. Then she took her out by herself and walked and played on the grass. My daughter seemed really happy so I called my husband. He knew he was in trouble when I asked, "what is our budget?". Thank God, with my husband there is no budget with dogs as he knows how much we love them. He didn't want our 1st dog, however when she died, that death affected him more than anybody.

After the transaction, we put Molly in the back seat of the car. I was worried she would get car sick as the road from the breeder is a long and windy down a mountain. She did fine! Just relaxed, no crying, just observing. We brought Molly into the front door of our house and she instantly started barking at my husband, a huge talker. She is still a huge talker and still loves cars. Then she saw our black cat, Wilbert. She sniffed him and he swat her and made her ear bleed. But in just a few days they were friends.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
When I picked Mayzie up, at 8 weeks, she bit my cheek. And tried to chew on my zipper. And then struggled to get away. I set her down and she ran back toward her litter mates. She clucked and cried the whole drive home.

When I picked out Bruno, there were several dogs for us to meet. But this sable shepherd zeroed in on me and came to the fence and gently kissed my hand. The other dogs were bouncing around but he was steady, standing on his hind legs, front paws on the cage, licking me through the fence. I said this is the one and they brought him out. I sat on the floor in front of him and he just covered my face with kisses. Sold. :)

·
Super Moderator
5,867 Posts
When I found my previous shepherd Dakota,I went to three different animal shelters looking for a dog one + years old with a nice calm temperament.All of the dogs I was interested in weren't available yet,still on stray hold.The last shelter I stopped at I spotted a little white 4mth old fuzz ball who laid quietly and thumped his tail when I spoke to him.I fell in love after playing and cuddling with him for a few minutes.As I filled out the paperwork the ladies at the desk said he was due to be euthanized that day.He was an owner surrender,the last puppy in a litter that he couldn't sell for some reason so he dumped him at the shelter.
Samson was bought from a breeder.I had five males to pick from.Two were little hellions,the other three nothing really stood out to me,they all seemed sweet tempered and easy going so hubby,my daughter,and I agreed on Samson.

·
Registered
326 Posts
The breeder picked Ivan for me. We had an hour drive home and he screamed bloody murder the whole time, my mother was holding him while I was driving. He barged into my house like he owned the place, made friends with my daughter's cat in less than 5 min, and turned my life upside down. He's my love lol!

When I picked up Grimm, I was going to pick up a female pup. She was very standoffish and I couldn't make a step without tripping over Grimm. I played with the pups for about an hour and he wore me down. He's still a big lover and loves attention.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Oh what fun...

Misty--I went to the shelter to drop off a white rabbit dumped at the forest preserves. While there I decided to look around. I had no dogs at the time and wasn't looking for one, but then there she was. She just had surgery and the staples were still in her leg. I went on my way but something drew me back to her. Got her out of the cage and couldn't put her back in. Signed the papers and home we went.

Tannor---went to look at the pups and they were all in the front trying to get my attention, when one came from the back and jumped in my arms. I never put him back down. Took him to meet my son and Tannor threw up all over my sons boss.

Robyn--went to go meet the couple that was giving her up. Robyn refused to acknowledge that I existed. My friend walked away and I said we will take her. She threw a fit in the car. Screamed all the way home. She continued to scream for the first week in the crate. She finally stopped when she figured out it wasn't working.

Midnite--I went to look at another GSD and he showed no interest in me. I was disappointed so the volunteers for the shelter told me about another GSD that was at the shelter. So I flew over there, barely making it before they closed. I must have looked like a mad woman running down the aisles looking for him. I took him out and instantly fell in love with his temperament. The problem? He wasn't suppose to be on the floor and there was no record of him. I called every day with no luck. A week later I brought Robyn to the pet store and the director of the shelter was there. I asked about Midnite and finally someone knew what dog I was talking about. There was suppose to be a house check which would have been another 2 weeks. The director loved Robyn and waived that, so now I flew a hour away to the shelter. I didn't even ask to see him again, I just said I want to adopt Midnite. We did a meet and greet, Robyn wasn't thrilled. An hour later we were on our way home. Midnite was as happy as could be and Robyn pouted, giving Midnite evil looks every now and then. They were friends by the end of the night and Midnite fit right in.

Brennan--I had a scare with Misty and thought I was going to lose her. I stopped by where I got Tannor and Misty picked Brennan. he immediately loved Misty and she was playing with him like he was her own. The first day home Brennan knocked the pool on top of him and Misty and Midnite lifted the pool to get him out. It was a fun first day.

Batman--No one wanted to foster Batman, so I went to meet him. Ended up taking him home. No one looked at him at adoption events either, it was pretty sad. He was just thrilled to have a yard and was jumping like a gazelle.

Apollo--I wasn't looking for another dog, but I wasnt leaving him on the side of the road. He was a mess. He was drooling, he threw up and was shaking. He was terrified. By the time I got him home he calmed down some. He came home met the others and went in the corner and passed out. Poor dog was completely exhausted.,

·
Registered
533 Posts
Pasta's foster mom had asked if I would like to meet up at Petsmart and see her for the first time. I didn't know I'd get to take her home that night and was so excited when her foster mom asked if I'd like to take Pasta home and give her a try. I didn't have a crate or anything in my van for her so I was a little nervous not knowing if she would behave on the drive home since it was a good hour or so away in bad traffic. (I'm super picky about my van and this was my first dog) She was a complete angel on the drive home and to this day the van is her favorite place. My ex-husband had just left me and I had moved into a new house a few weeks earlier so I was really happy to have such a loyal buddy with me in the new place.

When I got my puppy Copper we planned to meet up at her dad's in central PA. She was 8 weeks and 3 days old, I could hardly wait the extra 3 days I was so excited to get her. Her breeder met us there with 3 puppies and we got to play with the puppies for awhile, I already knew which one was mine as the breeder had decided a week or so before. She was the fattest little pup, very cute. The drive home was about 2 hours and she slept on my lap the whole time.

·
Banned
4,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh wow! I love these stories! Every one of them is unique and brings me back to that special day. lol:cry::laugh: - my pup too cried all the way back. She was in a crate and sounded like an air raid siren for 90 minutes. My poor friend that was not used to being around dogs - let alone a puppy's first separation from Mom and litter was beside himself. He kept asking, "should we pull over?"

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
We went to the farm where we got rosko from to find 10 8 week old pups and 2 adult dogs. Now let me just say that I was not a dog person. My wife has a toy poodle that I tolerated but I genuinely did not like dogs. However, my 11 yr old son was very afraid of most sized dogs so I thought if I got a medium sized dog to raise with him it would ease his phobia. We spent every bit of 2 hours at this farm. Watching and playing with the dogs. There was one male pup who just didn't seem to need to be with the others. He was fine playing and fighting but he was also fine laying by himself also. Well, after an hour and a half. I think these people were getting sick of us not being able to make a decision so the guy tells me look at these pups and find the one that you think matches your personality the closest. We'll I am fine with people or I am fine without them. (we vacation in secluded mountains every year). So I chose the pup who can be sociable when he wants but likes to be by himself also. I couldn't have picked a better dog. The ride home he sat in the backseat of the truck with my son and didn't make a peep.
My son's dog phobia has diminished greatly, but Rosko has probably made the biggest impact on me. I now consider myself very much a dog person. Rosko goes everywhere possible with me. At 40 yrs old I figured out why all of these crazy people invested so much time, money, and energy in dogs. Definitely eye opening.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Oh wow! I love these stories! Every one of them is unique and brings me back to that special day. lol:cry::laugh: - my pup too cried all the way back. She was in a crate and sounded like an air raid siren for 90 minutes. My poor friend that was not used to being around dogs - let alone a puppy's first separation from Mom and litter was beside himself. He kept asking, "should we pull over?"
I remember thinking I hope I didn't make a mistake. I think I knew at that moment she was going to give me a run for my money. I wouldn't change a thing, she taught me the true meaning of patience. Now I can laugh at some of the stuff she did, back then I was in tears.

·
Banned
4,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry, but I have to use the word "awesome" because it fits...Llombardo, I've been really interested in your "pack" reading each individual story on yours has amazed me. In th last 15 months that I have been a member of this board - it's obvious that you have a gift and you provide the absolute best in health and well being of your "pack"

You are an amazing person!

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Sorry, but I have to use the word "awesome" because it fits...Llombardo, I've been really interested in your "pack" reading each individual story on yours has amazed me. In th last 15 months that I have been a member of this board - it's obvious that you have a gift and you provide the absolute best in health and well being of your "pack"

You are an amazing person!
Awwwe thank you. They mean the world to me and I would do anything for them. A funny story for the evening...I just bought a very expensive crate for Batman so that I know he is safe and can't escape. It came today and I had my 24 yr old son go in the crate and try to break out of it and/or flip it. It was determined that it wasn't going to happen, so now we know Batman is safe. Kid tested and approved:)

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Awwwe thank you. They mean the world to me and I would do anything for them. A funny story for the evening...I just bought a very expensive crate for Batman so that I know he is safe and can't escape. It came today and I had my 24 yr old son go in the crate and try to break out of it and/or flip it. It was determined that it wasn't going to happen, so now we know Batman is safe. Kid tested and approved:)
You should have videotaped this.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
The story of how I got Sinister.......................

I was living in an apartment with my boyfriend Joey at the time along with my cats Chaos and Wicked. I really wanted a dog, I grew up with dogs and really missed living with one. I called my landlord who originally told me that I couldn't have any animals, he always caved and let me have my way, he didn't even take a minute to think about letting me have a dog or not, he just said "yes, you can get a dog." :) I already knew I wanted a black, male, GSD. My boyfriend wanted a male English Bulldog. There was no way I was going to live with 2 fat, lazy, drooling, farting males, so I started searching for GSD puppies right away. I found a listing in the newspaper for black GSD puppies and I called and the lady said she had 1 black female and 1 black male left. I told her I wanted the male and asked when I could come see him. We drove out that day, it took 2.5 hours to get there. My boyfriend kept telling me that we were only going to look at the puppy because we still needed to go see some English Bulldog puppies, but I knew I was coming home with a GSD puppy. When we got there only the male was left. He was running around a big playpen that had 2 other litters in it. He was teasing the other puppies, he stole a stick from an adult GSD, he grabbed a beer bottle and ran around with it and I knew he was coming home with me. :wub: I met his dad, he was a big, longhaired, black GSD, I think I met his mom too, she's a black and tan, stock coat. After we left with Sinister, I immediately got pulled over for speeding. :laugh: That 1st night of having him my boyfriend told me that he was happy that I was stubborn and that I forced a GSD on him, Sin will be 7 years old in 9 days and he is the best dog in the world, the best decision I have ever made and my best friend. :wub:

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
The story of how I got Draven.....................................

Everyone was telling me not to get a Dalmatian, they kept telling me "they are dumb, they are aggressive, they are deaf, they are difficult to train, they have a lot of health issues, they are poorly bred, etc." I didn't let them steer me away from what I knew I wanted. I had met with a breeder and I really liked them, I went to their house, met a litter of females that they had, met their adult dogs and decided that I wanted to get a puppy from them when they had a male available. Well after a false pregnancy and a miscarriage, things were just not working out with them, they refunded my money and we parted ways (they are still great breeders.) I ended up waiting a couple of months before trying again. I found a breeder that was close by, she was a show breeder, she had gorgeous dogs and she was big into Harry Potter so I filled out a questionaire. She called me that night and we were on the phone for over an hour. She told me she had a litter right now and she had 3 males and a female left. I went to go see her and the puppies a couple of days later. She told me that the litter was pretty similar in personality, but I knew I didn't want a female even though she was gorgeous (liver spotted with beautiful green/gold eyes.) One male had show potential and I knew I didn't want a show puppy even though he was the best looking puppy there. So it was between a male with one patched ear and a male with 2 patched ears. I interacted with all 4 at the same time, then I interacted with the 2 patched puppies at the same time but I always found myself looking for the double patched puppy. He was the least attractive of the 4 but something about him made me say to myself "It's him, I know he's the one, that is my puppy." I had brought my ex-boyfriend Joey with me again and he kept telling me to get the puppy with one patch, he told me I would be making a mistake by getting the double patched puppy. My mind was already made up, I told the breeder "That's him, that's my Draco." I pulled out the metallic blue puppy collar I had brought with me and put it on him and it fit perfectly. :wub: The breeder normally doesn't allow puppy buyers to take home a puppy on the 1st day that they meet them because people usually just get caught up in the moment and can't say no to a puppy but she said after talking with me on the phone and meeting me in person I could take him home that night if I wanted to. So I did. :) He cried for the 1st 10-15 minutes in the car on the way home but then he fell asleep. He screamed when he met Sinister for the 1st time. My ex told me that I was once again right and that I made the right decision. :D Draven screamed and wouldn't settle down when I put him into his crate for bedtime so he ended up sleeping in the bed with me until he turned 6 months old. :laugh: My little spotted devil will be 3 years old this summer and he's still a joy and a pain in the butt. He is the happiest, silliest, weirdest and sweetest dog. His tail is always wagging, he always has a great time, he is just so full of life. :wub:

·
Registered
426 Posts
One of the best things

It was early spring 1974. My childhood best buddy Thunder had passed almost 3 months ago and I had been saving and looking for a GSD. Vehicle safety inspection time was on at the service station I worked at part time while I went to school. Mr. McIntyre's [a regular customer] plate light on his 66 Caddy was not working and the Boss asked me to fix it. Mac was a WW2 vet. I liked Mac, crew cut hair, friendly guy, always had chewing gum and always spoke of the ways of the world. While he told me one of his stories I finally got the plate light to work. I told Mac I was still looking for a GSD. As I stood up and backed up to look at the plate light, I almost bumped into a young man about my age standing behind me carrying a flat tire in his right arm, wearing an Army K9 Jacket and holding a leash in his left hand to one of the most beautiful GSDs I had ever seen. He had walked about a mile. He told me that his wife was pregnant, had to get her to the doctor, could be any time now and that he had no spare. Could you fix the flat right away? Please, I'll give you a puppy! WHAT, I said to myself? Who sent this guy? My Boss and Mac overheard everything. The Boss told me to go, the tire will be fixed by the time you get back. Even Mac gave me the nod to get going. I went to get a puppy. My new found friend told me how he and a friend both stationed in Germany managed to get 2 dogs back to the states. They planned on breeding and starting a kennel. He didn't realize his female was pregnant. The pups were about 6 or 7 weeks. The pup that chose me had a different pattern and color I had never seen before, kind of a dark back and mask with lighter speckled salt and pepper red brown sides. The sides would darken as he got older. He was gorgeous inside and out. I named him Mac Dog. For me it is one of my greatest dog stories... Oh yeah, the Boss, he is my oldest brother, a Vietnam Vet, said no charge to my new friend. We still talk about that day once in a while.

·
Registered
778 Posts
We picked up Linus the day after we got back from a 2 week vacation in Europe. We were jet lagged but very excited to meet the litter.

Linus was way bigger than his litter mates, very outgoing and came right up to us. We knew he was the one immediately. Turns out it was the same pup that the breeder had selected for us.

He was quiet for most of the drive home but then started crying in his crate. He seemed a bit out of sorts when we got home. He cried a bit when we put him in his ex-pen + crate area for the night. So I crawled into his space that first night and slept with him. He stole my heart that day and hasn't let go since. :wub:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,820 Posts
Love these stories.
Lisa it great to hear how each member of your pack came to you. Laren your stubbornness seems to pay off especially w/ your handsome boys. Mister C love your story and picture of Linus and you.cd Rosko sound like the perfect fit and your family for him. Love this stuff . Love all the stories. The story of Mac-dog made me smile. Its amazing where and when we find these beautiful creatures.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts