German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 2 of 18 Posts

· Registered
2,235 Posts
I used a prong with my Dobie and I was wondering what to use while I am working on Mandalays heeling (which she hates to do). I know she is too young (at least in my eyes) for a prong since she is only now 15 weeks, but maybe i will try this gentle leader thing and she if she does any better.

· Registered
2,235 Posts
I got the gentle leader last night. After watching most of the video (I skipped the short nosed dog sections and the ones that did not apply to us) we attempted to fit it. Since Mandalay is still so wiggly, it took my husband and I a bit of time to get it on her and get it fitted right. The all heck broke loose. She did the rubbing on the floor and the pawing at her head and the whining and the running and the laying there looking like she was about to cry.

After I thought all the drama was over, I took her outside where she did the whole scene again, only in the grass this time. I got her attention with treats and she kinda sorta in a round about sort of way almost walked near me without too much of a hassle.

I brought her back inside, took the leash off and left the halter on. When she realized I was not going to take it off she calmed down. I took her back outside, this time out front on the sidewalk and I noticed a difference in how she handled the leash. It is going to take some self-training as I am used to having to pull harder at the leash to correct her and this requires no actual tugging so a couple times I ended up turning her toward her and there we were looking at eachother with "well, now what" expressions.

I walked her up and down the sidewalk a few times and there was enough of a difference that I feel that this is going to work out well. I am going to go home today and put the halter back on her and just let her wear it around the house again to give her time to get used to it. Since I will be home all weekend, I am going to leave it on her as much as possible over the weekend, too.

Thank you all for recommending this...I really do think it is going to work out well for her heel training.

1 - 2 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.