German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Boy did it hurt. It was right on the patch of skin above my knuckles. Ouch. :eek: He had the nerve to look back and give me his cute face too.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ive been doing NILIF with him since we got him at 6 weeks. Hes 13 weeks now and is usually not very bitey but today running around in the yard he ran right past me and nipped me. i think he was playing, but it hurt and I could be wrong.

·
Registered
10,830 Posts
WD has pulled off that trick too. next time I watched him more closely and caught him before he had me. Told him, "NO!".
6 wks at adoption makes this issue harder to cure but stay on it. There is plenty of info here about this.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Wait NILIFF for a 13 week old pup???

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, nothing too hardcore, but he does have to wait til I free him for food. Sit or do something before treats or toys. Wait until i go through the door and release him to come. He already knows most now and automatically does it before I tell him to.
Thats not too much NILIF is it? I dont leave him in another room by himself unless we are out and hes in his crate.

·
Registered
10,830 Posts
Wait NILIFF for a 13 week old pup???
This is what they experience if they live in a group of dogs. The elders do not put up with a puppy that is older than about ten - twelve weeks. That's when their puppy license expires. So babying a dog that age will back fire to you.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
but if you get a pup at 8 weeks, that's like no time to bond? they are usually stressed for a few weeks, have week stomach etc etc etc... Taking them away from what they know and shutting em out would not traumatize a baby? Mine is a 16 week old biter and the trainer told us hang on in there until after teething, than if he bites it need to be corrected.

·
Registered
10,830 Posts
A stable puppy moves on with his life as soon as you take him home. They don't grieve for weeks and this is one of the reasons they get spoiled and get away with murder.
I don't know what kind of trainer you have, but to let yourself be mauled by a pup until his adult teeth come in sounds crazy. Correcting him only then won't make sense to the dog. Puppies need rules but it doesn't mean that you have to be harsh on them. Get a good trainer who makes more sense.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
but if you get a pup at 8 weeks, that's like no time to bond? they are usually stressed for a few weeks, have week stomach etc etc etc... Taking them away from what they know and shutting em out would not traumatize a baby? Mine is a 16 week old biter and the trainer told us hang on in there until after teething, than if he bites it need to be corrected.
NILIF on a puppy is perfectly fine. You are bonding with your pup. When you say, "Fido! Puppy! Puppy! Puppy!" and Fido comes to you, you throw a party and treat. You're teaching your pup 1) it's call name 2) to come to you when you call him 3) everything wonderful and good comes from you.

You can play crate games. You can play with toys (when it releases, treat) etc. When the pup follows you from room to room - you reward. When the pup goes potty outside - you reward. When your pup redirects from your body parts to a toy - you reward (in this case play with provided toy).

You are rewarding a behavior, not a specific trick.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Neko - you don't have to 'correct' a puppy when it bites. You can re-direct. There is a big difference. The object of re-direction is totally up to your puppy. It's up to you to find out what works best for your pup.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ive had Dex from 6 weeks old. He initially lived outside in a shed with tools and under a few old cars. So when he and his 2 siblings came to stay with us, he loved it and settled in right away. Not a peep of crying at night time. I have two other dogs so by the time his two siblings left he was already part of our family. Im the only one who does the NILIF in my house and he has bonded with me the most. When I get home he will trample my adult kids to get to me. :) Right now because hes a pup hes never ignored, unless hes jumping on us, which he doesnt do anymore. he gets all the love he wants and does get it when he asks for it (I might get scolded for that..lol) But we do tell him no when he bites and I redirect him. This was just a story about how I got my first drive by nip. I had never got one from him before. This morning he was very excited, he also jumped on the couch for the first time and I guess he was feeling very playful. He didnt get scolded for the nip because it happened so fast. And I dont think he meant harm by it, but I just dont want it to become something he does especially when he gets older. I really think the NILIF and the obedience training is what has made Dexter bond with me more. I guess I will see down the line, I hope im not here 6 months from now with a bad dog :cry:

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Neko - you don't have to 'correct' a puppy when it bites. You can re-direct. There is a big difference. The object of re-direction is totally up to your puppy. It's up to you to find out what works best for your pup.
The only thing that we can re-direct to is food. Toys he can care less about! I guess I miss understood the NILF, just read more about it and it seams like we already make him work for everything, but the biting is a whole new story.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Fiona is 11 months and I got the drive by nip. My fault. She got the zoomies running around like a nut and I tried to engage her. Ouch. Note to self: Next time, run like nut, just watch and laugh.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Fiona is 11 months and I got the drive by nip. My fault. She got the zoomies running around like a nut and I tried to engage her. Ouch. Note to self: Next time, run like nut, just watch and laugh.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
lol!

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I guess I miss understood the NILF, just read more about it and it seams like we already make him work for everything, but the biting is a whole new story.
Same here Neko. I read about it and I realized it was something I was already doing. Except for the ignoring etc. But I will do the ignoring if I have to ,later when he gets older. I hope I dont have to.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
The only thing that we can re-direct to is food. Toys he can care less about! I guess I miss understood the NILF, just read more about it and it seams like we already make him work for everything, but the biting is a whole new story.
Can you re-direct onto a rawhide roll? Finn was not much a toy dog for the first six months, but he'd demolish a pig ear and lovingly gnaw on a rawhide chip or roll. We had a bag of ears and rolls on the table and if he started getting nippy and the teething ring he loved didn't work, we'd whip out an ear or a roll and it was a great redirect.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
our monster swallows large objects so have to be careful what he chews on. He swallowed a 4" bully stick... a rawhide in the past and it messed him up pretty bad so we wont get rawhide anymore and our vet does not approve of them. Marrow bones work, carrots, but thats right back to the food redirect

1 - 18 of 18 Posts