German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(Straight up front, I don't need to be convinced to use a crate, my previous GSD was crate trained, and slept in it every night of his life...and I don't remember his puppyhood unfortunately.)

OK, so we brought Storm home last night, she's 8.5-9.5 weeks old. Rough day yesterday, she was in the car about 10 hours, did great...rode in my daughter's lap all the way home with no issues. (That won't continue, she will be crated as long as possible and then will be harnessed/belted in.)

When I first put her in the crate last night (1145pm), she cried for about 30 minutes, then settled down and napped for about 1.5 hours. I accidentally woke her up checking on my toddler before I laid down (about 130am). Hubby came down and wanted to put her in the basement so she wouldn't wake up the toddler (he's spiking fevers right now, and not sleeping well, so Daddy is being even more protective than usual about his sleep) I put my hand on the door and she cried quietly for about an hour before she settled down to sleep again (so around 230am). Hubby came down at 4am and took her to potty...she pooped but did not pee. Back in the kennel at 415am, she cried until about 5am and then settled in.

7am, hubby took her potty, she peed, and he had her run around the house with him. Pottying is going well, just one pee inside last night because I forgot to get the water up. She napped in the crate for a couple hours this afternoon, BUT...she was ZONKED OUT when we put her in and didn't realize she was in there. I was watching her when she woke up, took her out immediately to potty.

Introduced her to bully sticks this evening, she chewed on it in hubby's lap for about half an hour, then I put her in the kennel with it. My bad, she cried to get out of the kennel (I thought), and I didn't take her right out to potty cuz we're in the middle of a thunderstorm. Oops, I think she cried cuz she had to pee, so we grabbed her up mid-pee and took her out, she finished and pooped outside.

Anyway, my question, can she have a bully stick unsupervised in the kennel at night? (Well, crate, last night we used a cat Vari-kennel, but I set up her crate with the divider in it today) If so, would it help with the crying, or just deal with it for a few days? I really don't want to put her in the basement, but I do need to take into account my sick kiddo and his sleep. She hasn't shown much interest in any of her toys yet, other than to use one stuffed bone as a pillow :wub:

She didn't get much crate time today due to company over (with their Lhasa so we can start socializing), but I do plan to start using the crate during the day tomorrow, as well.

·
Registered
9,790 Posts
(

Anyway, my question, can she have a bully stick unsupervised in the kennel at night? .
No.
And do watch for diarrhea with those bully sticks. We stopped feeding them for that reason.
When Hans was that little, he slept in his crate on my night stand. That way he could smell me and feel secure and not alone, and at the slightest whimper I could wake up and take him out, without him getting louder and waking everyone else.

·
Registered
7,466 Posts
i don't like any of those chew things, any of 'em. way too many possible problems. kong stuffed with pb?

·
Registered
9,790 Posts
I would not put food in there at night.
Night is for sleeping. Dog needs to learn that.
I put some hard rubber rings in there that he could not chew up and choke on, but he showed no interest.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I saved bully sticks for day time crating, I left a nylabone in the crate though at night. I agree "night is for sleeping".

·
Registered
7,466 Posts
mego, just gonna be blunt here. bully sticks in the day, nylabones (have you NOT READ about ALL the problems with nylabones) at night, man you are asking for trouble. please reconsider.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone, we'll just tough it out and hope we can keep her from waking the little guy. Not the end of the world if she has to go in the basement, but I will try to avoid it.

I don't do Nylabones or rawhide, and I figured bully sticks weren't good for night (heck, it's concerning me right now, I took it away lol). I have some large puppy Kongs, but I think they're a bit too big for her, I'll try to get some smaller ones tomorrow. I'll also look for the rings someone mentioned!

I sleep on the couch right now, so I did have her kennel next to me during the night, but it's on the floor. Her crate is 42", way too big for my side table :-(

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Hey, from Boulder! I never gave my pup any food in the crate at night, I would just put in his blanket from his mother and littermates and maybe a small puppy kong (nothing in it).
I also used a smaller pop up kennel that I could move around easily and put it right next to the bed.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
mego, just gonna be blunt here. bully sticks in the day, nylabones (have you NOT READ about ALL the problems with nylabones) at night, man you are asking for trouble. please reconsider.
What issue with nylabones..? I had a wish bone shaped one bigger than her entire head, she's almost 8 months old now and never had a single issue. Eats bully sticks and raw pork ribs while I'm home and has never choked on anything. I'm also home and one room away during daytime crating ;) hence the swallowable sized ones being fed while I am there to supervise.

Also, at night with her nylabone, her crate is in arms reach of me, if she were to ever choke I was right there. Thanks for the concern though

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Nylabones can break off in chunks and cause an obstruction or partial obstruction. Plus who knows where the material in them comes from!

Can you put him in your bed for now? I know a lot of people have their pups sleep in their bed at first, until they are more secure about their new home, crate, etc. I always kept the crate right next to my bed and slept with my fingers in it.

·
Registered
7,466 Posts
choking is not the issue. obstruction and content are the issue, obstruction especially. lots of info on that out there, just google.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I'm too heavy of a sleeper to safely put her on the couch with me. I wouldn't hear her get down and there's too much (electrical cords, toddler toys, etc) she could get into that could be dangerous to her.

In addition, even though we've only had her one day, hubby and I are quite concerned she may be deaf. She does not respond to sound AT ALL. Nothing. Squeaky toys, hellacious thunderstorm, banging pots together, clapping, yelling, keys, coins in a Coke can, the clicker...nothing. Her ears don't **** (twitch), she doesn't look for the noise. No response to excited praise for potty. Anyway, soft talk and telling her bedtime doesn't get any reaction at all.

I know she's a baby, in a new environment, but...I have never known an animal to not startle at a loud sound while asleep, not to mention not being at all startled by the thunder, barking, etc.

(We didn't find out both of us suspect that until after I posted the first post. I finally said something to him, and he said he'd noticed it, too. Sigh. I so hope we are wrong. Vet appt tomorrow, and I've already sent an email to the closest clinic I can find that does BAER testing to find out whether my vet needs to refer or if we can just make an appointment.)

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Mm, I buy the hard nylabones that she can't break. She doesnt chew them often anyway. Thanks though, will google more..

·
Registered
9,790 Posts
I would try and find a small crate at this age.
Less chance that he would go potty in there, as well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts