German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kiai had his Lyme shots last year and was at the vet today for his annual physical. The Heartworm etc test was positive for lyme. When he got the shots last year, he was supposed to get the initial plus two boosters. His ears went down after the initial so the vet gave him only one booster. His ears went back up after the booster. Does that make sense? He's taking his doxycycline 100mg 4 pills dailyfor two weeks. He didn't have any symptoms. The Vet scheduled him for another Lyme booster in a month.
I don't think they sent anything out to be tested further.

I want to understand more of how the test works and what the shot does.

If he had the lyme shots then wouldn't he have antibodies from the shot?
How does the test tell the difference between the antibodies from the shot and those he would have from getting lyme desease?

If he has the antibodies now either from the shot or from the disease, then why would he need another booster shot?

Does it matter that he only had one booser lyme shot last year instead of two?

I think I need a new vet.
What should I ask a vet before I decide which one to go to?

·
Registered
485 Posts
I don't have any advice, but I'm sure Lisa T will have some great information! If you find one of her posts somewhere, she has a few links on tick diseases in her signature.

Tick diseases seem very tricky, so I'm glad you at least got a diagnosis.

If you post your location, people might be able to suggest a vet as well.

Hope you get some really good information

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
If you have questions about the shots, diagnosis and treatment why don't you ask the vet? They should be happy to explain this to you. I know sometimes when someone gets unexpected news like this they end up walking out of the office and realize later that they wish they would have asked more questions!
I would do some research (as you are obviously doing right now) and call up with your follow up questions. If you are satisfied with the response then maybe you don't need to search for a new vet; if not ...

·
Registered
7,764 Posts
i don't think the lyme shots are proven to really work, and i am thinking they need a different test to be able to tell the difference between the lyme shot and the real lyme antibodies.........i would think your vet would have done that knowing your dog had the lyme shot........

i am sure Lisa can explain this better if she chimes in......

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I found this at http://www.vethomeopath.com/textLymeAVH07web.pdf

It says "
Problems interpreting Lyme tests may arise from animals symptomatic for Lyme disease with a
history of tick bites, but negative titers; persistent titers in the face of treatment, with or without
persistence or recurrence of clinical signs; cross-reactivity with other diseases; and timing of
immune response. A valid application for the common Lyme disease screening is testing prior to
any consideration of Lyme vaccination.
"

"

Standard screening tests for Lyme disease are antibody (immune response) tests, not
antigen (bacteria) tests, and indicate exposure only.

The tests do not diagnose or predict active disease.

The antibody titer does not equate with level of infection.

In some areas of the United States, an estimated 50-90% of dogs are seropositive. A very
small fraction of these dogs (less than 10%) are ever clinically affected.
"

So the way I read it sounds like;

The test means he was exposed to lyme disease, but since he is not clinically affected, he may not really have the actual disease.

It also sounds like that having had the lyme vaccine makes the screening not meaningful, since that could have been the exposure that was found.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
I'm running off to a meeting, but.....

Current tests (snap and C6), most all of the time, distinguish between infection and vaccination - that issue is not so much of a worry, except when you have an infected dog with symptoms, it may be hard to tell if the symptoms are coming from the vaccine or the infection. A positive on the snap or the C6 are antibodies to infection and not vaccination.

The snap is a pre-screen, which will test for exposure, the C6 determines active infection or not. Most vets appear not to understand these tests.

Personally, I would treat all exposure as infection and treat, the stakes are pretty high if infection sets in your dog starts silently going into kidney failure, or if the infection goes deep into the central nervous system. The dog is basically screwed if this happens, since only the most invasive of all tests have a remote chance of diagnosing it if it's living only in someplace like the spine or the brain.

DO NOT vaccinate a dog that has been exposed to actual infection. That is a sure fire way to set chronic disease in the body.

Symptom free is relative. Because you cannot see the changes in the body externally, that does not mean that they are not happening internally.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
I agree with Lisa , at this point DO NOT GIVE THE LYME VAC!

Now that he's been exposed, has it, whatever, there is no point in giving the lyme vac because it didn't help in the first place, why would it help now? and especially do not give it while he's still positive for it..

My vet has told me this:) (and I live in Lyme),,,they see more dogs with Lyme that have not been vac'd than they do dogs who have been vac'd..HOWEVER< if a dog has even had one vac of lyme, and comes up positive, clinical or not, it's obvious the lyme vac will not work for him, so absolutely no point in continuing that lyme vac, it's ineffective and as lisa says, can cause more problems.

I also treat, symptoms or not, I'm not willing to take the risk of having the dog be fine one day, and go right into kidney failure and die the next, because once they hit the kidney failure stage, it's over.

Also, my vet also says there are more dogs testing positive for anaplasmosis (which mine do constantly!) than any of the other tick diseases.

rule of thumb, 5mg of doxy, per body weight TWICE a day,,I do atleast a 2 month treatment..

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Can the snap tell the difference between the vaccine and exposure?
The Snap 4Dx can tell the difference between vaccine and infection.

http://www.idexx.com/view/xhtml/en_us/smallanimal/inhouse/snap/4dx.jsf

C6 doesn’t cross-react
Antibodies from currently available Lyme vaccine have been shown not to cross-react with SNAP® Lyme antibody detection, so you can identify infection in vaccinated dogs.2
Because no Lyme vaccine is 100% effective, even vaccinated dogs should be tested for Lyme disease during every annual screening visit.
The SNAP 4Dx Test offers superior sensitivity and specificity—When you test before vaccinating, you won’t be vaccinating subclinically Lyme-positive dogs and giving owners a false sense of security.

·
Registered
470 Posts
You may want to see the post regarding my female GSD, Olina. She was diagnosed with Lyme about a month ago. She was on doxycycline for 3 weeks and we just had a second blood test last week. I am waiting for the results. We also think that she may have Masitcular Myositis. We sent off the blood test for that last week as well. Still waiting to hear about those results.

My current vet said that she recommends vaccinating Olina with the Lyme vax once she has a "normal" read on her anti-bodies. But what I am reading from all of you is to NOT let her be vaccinated. I feel that is a good suggestion. Especially if she has an auto-immune problem such as MMM (Masticular Myositis).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts