German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cassie and I were out front chatting with neighbors. She was being her adorable self and impressing everyone when out of nowhere, a beagle came charging at her, teeth barred, alternately growling and barking. He belonged to one of the neighbors and someone inside the house (NOT the owner of the dog) thought it would nice to let the dog out to play with Cassie, never mind that they hadn't even been introduced.

Luckily the owner of the dog was there and reached down and grabbed her dog, apologizing all over the place for the stupidity of the person in the house, etc. It was over very quickly. She put her dog back in the house, came back and apologized again and promised that we would work together to introduce the dogs and get them used to one another. I couldn't ask for a better dog loving neighbor.

Cassie was a doll. She just moved next to me, didn't back up, didn't lunge, didn't growl. For this I am grateful (this is the dog that was returned to the pound because she didn't get along with other dogs yet she has never reacted and we have yappy dogs on three sides in the back yard.)

Anyway, I realize I don't know what to do in this situation if another dog comes after her and the owner ISN'T there. So far on our walks she has been great but I know I can't count on luck and she is far from trained yet. How should I handle this if it happens again?

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Wow, both my dogs also got charged by a Beagle last week! We walked past this house and this Beagle flew down the driveway and jumped on Coke. Luckily, the Beagle is what I consider morbidly fat and since Coke is so tall/large and has an insanely thick coat she never got a real bite but she kept growling and lunging at his neck. We were standing on the public sidewalk, never even set foot into the Beagle's yard (I don't allow my dogs to walk on peoples' yards). Kenya jumped out of the way fast enough but Coke didn't see her coming. The owner came out screaming at the dog, alpha rolled her, and carried her into the house. About 2 more seconds and I probably would have given the dog a swift kick. She was wearing a collar but I've seen enough collar grabs go bad. I gave Coke as much lead as possible, last thing I want is for their to be tension during a confrontation or for me to pull away my dog and leave him defenseless. Luckily, he was surprised and confused more than anything. Both my dogs finished their walk like normal, tails wagging.

G

·
0 Posts
Re: got charged - we're ok but want tips for futur

A can of pepper spray works well on unleashed dogs that charge you with no owner in sight.

·
Registered
10,216 Posts
I cant stand when people let their dogs run wild. I encounter this problem all the time while walking Rocky. Some lady up the road from us has a bunch of big dogs that are not behaved. (She has actually come out before and told me if her dogs "bother us" to just scream for her husband Dennis, excuse me, no how about keep your dogs under control? Now I expect it and watch for the dogs. If I see them I distract him. If he notices a leave it will normally work.

I will be interested to see how others handle this situation I know by controlling our dogs we are doing the right thing, but I would love to just tell Rocky get 'em, just once LOL (I never would, but maybe the dogs would leave us alone after that.)

·
Registered
943 Posts
Glad to hear nothing bad happened. I dont know why, but whenever i take Sydney somewhere, neighborhood walk, state park, whatever, we always seem to have dogs charging at us! Its very annoying because every time, its not a responsible dog owner who accidently lost control of their dog and apologizes, its all ways some a-hole who thinks their dog is ok off leash and dont care that its irritating other dogs/people. I cant let strange dogs run up to Sydney, she is very dominant with dogs and when she sees a dog running towards her, she puts her guard up and will get in a tussle if i dont intervene. Depends on the dog, but most dogs I will use my leg and kick them in the shoulder to keep them from reaching Sydney. If Im in a park or something, I will sometimes carry a large stick and i will use that to keep a wild dog away. One time when i kicked a ladys dog away, she looked at me like "Oh! How dare you!" but as she just stood in awe at me i told her, "either i kick your dog to keep it away, or it gets bit in the face by my dog. Which would you rather?" and then I reminded her that the rules of the park where that dogs be ON LEASH!!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for sharing tips with me. I'll get a can of pepper spray, just in case. Life would be so much easier if there were less stupidheads in the world. Sigh.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Originally Posted By: ZeusGSDThe key with any situation like this is put your dog behind you, and you deal with the other dog by scaring off, spraying, hitting with a stick or kicking.
This covers it all.

Also, sometimes, even commanding the marauding dog to sit, stay, or "git home" will also work. Just try to take the view point that someone needs to take charge and it is going to be YOU no matter what that entails!!!

·
Registered
160 Posts
These tips are really helpful, thanks.

But what happens if you are already past these steps and the dog actually attacks you. I had a close call the other day with a big stray dog and I have been thinking about what I could have done if it did turn into a full on attack - it's you or the dog kind of thing.

Has this happened to anyone? How would you neutralize the other dog if you had to?

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
The biggest thing IS prevention. Always be aware of your surroundings, checking out gates and fences, looking down the street, etc.
I have, on more than one occassion, drop kicked a dog that came too close. I like dogs, I do, but if they are in foot range, they are too close. Pepper spray is probably the best way to "neutralize" a dog when you missed the initial approach.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I love dogs as well, but if I am getting attacked while protecting my pup (which is what nearly happened the other day - in a crowded street with kids and everything - he just appeared out of the crowd) - I wouldn't hesitate to do anything in my power to neutralize the other dog. Just not sure what would be the most effective way of doing it. And I am not certain this dog, which was a 50 kilo mutt, would have stopped with a dropkick.. See where I am coming from?

Btw; you say drop kick, where would you kick? What would you aim for?

Of course there's a few things wrong with this story, why would a huge aggresive stray dog be walking around in a busy pedestrian street (everybody ran when he started growling, barking and lunging at me - I stood my ground and he eventually decided it wasn't worth it.... this time), but that's another story...

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
Sounds like you did the right thing. MOST dogs will not attack when faced with a confident opponent larger than they who is calm, but not actively aggressive. However, there is always that percentage that will.
I don't know that I have ever "aimed." Just whatever I get first, usually under the chin, when they are too silly to realize they are running at a ticked off woman with an 80 pound German Shepherd at her side.
We seem to have a lot of loose dogs around here even with a leash-law.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Wow! Heidi would have freaked out if that would have happened to her! It sounds like Cassie handled it really well. We have a lot of dogs on our street that are often off-leash (and this is in the middle of the city!) It's every annoying when they run across the street and rush up to Heidi, while barking and carrying on. Luckily, the main dog that does this is kind of a sissy and runs home when Heidi starts barking and growling.

This also happens a lot when we go on our hikes. For some reason, people think it's OK to have their dogs off-leash even when there are signs posted everywhere that they are not supposed to. I just try to be calm, get between the dogs, and walk by quickly, saying in a cheerful tone of voice, "Come on, Heidi, let's go!" So far, we haven't had any actual contact--just a lot of posturing.

It's a real pain--especially for those of us with reactive dogs.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Originally Posted By: thor wgsdThese tips are really helpful, thanks.

But what happens if you are already past these steps and the dog actually attacks you. I had a close call the other day with a big stray dog and I have been thinking about what I could have done if it did turn into a full on attack - it's you or the dog kind of thing.

Has this happened to anyone? How would you neutralize the other dog if you had to?
If you do not feel physically capable, then carry pepper spray. The alternative is your dog gets attacked and hurt. Maybe your dog fights the other dog off and injurs it and now your dog is facing the possibility of being put down depending on the interpretation of someone unrelated to you. When it's you against a stray dog, you always win as the dog has no rights. Once it gets to dog/dog all bets are off.

·
Registered
160 Posts
It's not really a question about feeling physically capable, if an angry 50 kilo dog attacks you, you are in trouble no matter what.

I agree with the pepper spray idea, but I am sure you *could* come in a situation where you can't reach your pepper spray because the dog is already biting your arm or whatever...

Basically what I would like to know is what is the best way to get a dog that is already attacking you neutralized (no pepper spray).

Sorry to take over this thread, but I am sure the OP would have interest in knowing as well.. you never know what will happen.

I am not to worried about the law where i am at, I am more worried about protecting my puppy and myself..

Cheers,

-Thomas-

·
Registered
12 Posts
I carry pepper spray as a 1 st line of defense but I'm also licensed to carry a concealed pistol and before I'd let my puppy or myself get torn up I'd fire a warning shot and if necessary shoot the animal.
I usually walk my dog in the park so it's fairly unpopulated. In fact in the same park around 4 weeks ago a woman was walking her Lab when the dog was attacked by 3 coyotes. She managed to fight them off and got her dog back to her car but it wass bitten up pretty good. Her dog weighed 120 lbs, a puppy wouldn't have lasted very long. These animals have taken up suburbia as their home and if you are walking your dog you better be prepared for anything. Pepper spray and a big stick at the least would be recommended.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
You're in Argentina! How in the world did I not notice that before??? Walk with a stick or a bat in your hand, and then maybe carry pepper spray too. That way the bat is already out, and if a dog is upon you that quickly all you have to do is swing.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Originally Posted By: Bubba182I carry pepper spray as a 1 st line of defense but I'm also licensed to carry a concealed pistol and before I'd let my puppy or myself get torn up I'd fire a warning shot and if necessary shoot the animal.
Illinois sucks.

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
Originally Posted By: ZeusGSD
Originally Posted By: Bubba182I carry pepper spray as a 1 st line of defense but I'm also licensed to carry a concealed pistol and before I'd let my puppy or myself get torn up I'd fire a warning shot and if necessary shoot the animal.
Illinois sucks.
Yeah it does! So glad I don't live there any more! (grew up in the Chicago suburbs)

I quit walking both dogs together so that I can carry something with me.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts