German Shepherds Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok I was working with my dog Goren (my AST mix) on his formal heel (I think that is what you call it, when they heel and are looking up at you) anyway, I did it on a walk, have been working on a few days in the yard. He did great, not doing this the entire way but would put him in it for anywhere from 3 steps to 100 steps and he was grasping it quite well. I stopped because he was getting tired, I think I was makeing his brain hurt hehe, so we headed home. There is a Golden Retreiver that lives on the corner house, about 8-10 houses down. I see the kids that live there out on the sidewalk playing with bottle caps, so I go into the street no biggy...I see as I round the car there over weight Golden running into the tree from around the house after a cuzz toy that was thrown from the porch :mad:, now I am a little frusterated, I hold my ground, the dog has not seen me or Goren so I pray he would not. About 10 seconds pass with the dog in the street then it finally sees us and charges...I get between Goren and the dog, Goren is not DA but he was not going to back down, he was trying to protect the pack (the body lang. projecting told me if the dog backed down he would have) but anyhow by this time the owner is screaming for her dog to come, he finally listens after I dance with it and Goren for about 20 seconds. She apologizes about 4 times but mean I was POed, I did not talk to her, I think she realized how close her dog was to being dead, Goren might not be DA but his breed knows how to kill dogs...If her dog would have laid a tooth on him the owner would have gotten a vet bill, there is a leash law here and I pray she will now follow it. I hate idiot owners, I am just so tankful Lola was not with me.

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
but anyhow by this time the owner is screaming for her dog to come, he finally listens after I dance with it and Goren for about 20 seconds. She apologizes about 4 times but mean I was POed, I did not talk to her, I think she realized how close her dog was to being dead,
Your dog will kill any friendly dog running up to say hey? Not sure I agree with that.

In my world, normal dogs come up and want to say hey in a normal way. normal normal normal.

For my dog to immediately injure such a friendly dog coming up to say hey....... would be something I would seriously be working on to fix. The liability when my neighbors puppy slipped it's leash to run over to me and then get killed my inappropriately aggessive dog would be pretty high. And the guilt when I should have conditioned my dog to a normal dog greeting would have been unbearable.

Dogs are social. So while my dogs don't have to LOVE all dogs. They darn sure better put up with a normal greeting while I figure out what going on and I TAKE CONTROL. It's not up to MY dog to injure/kill another dog that just ran up to greet us.

Maybe I misread your post though?

·
Registered
31,827 Posts
What is an AST?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
you did misread it

the dog was NOT friendly, hence the title, it CHARGED, ran at my dog AGGRESSIVELY, my dog is VERY socialized, he is the top in his OB class now and was the top in his last one. He interacts with Lola 24/7, sleeps with her, and loves her, also interacts with my fiance's DISABLED terrier mix (he cannot use his back legs due to getting hit by a car), the Golden Retriever was very VERY aggressive, I know dog body language and if I would not have stepped between them and the owner was not able to get control the dog would have full on attacked, sorry if I did not make that clear, the Golden was very DA, not my AST, my AST is very socialized and loves all dogs in general, heck there were some dominant dogs in a yard on our walk and he did submissive gestures as we walked by.

AST = American Staffishire Terrier

·
Registered
31,827 Posts
Glad that the woman apologized. It could have been much worse. People with dogs who are generally easy, breeds that tend to be friendly with dogs and people, are sometimes a little careless in believing other dogs are too, or why do you have them out.

I know it is not right, but for as many people who just walk right up and into my dogs face, it is usually the labs and the goldens that people seem to think that every other dog in the universe is just like them.

And we who have breeds who are not, have to be that much more careful lest we end up in a court case we will not win, or that it will not matter whether we win or not, because the damage is done.

Again, at least she was there, got her dog and apologized.

·
Registered
31,827 Posts
Who knows why the Golden reacted like that. Some goldens are nasty while many are really easy going.

Hope she is more careful from here on out.

Thanks for the breed. I did figure it out eventually, but I always thought it was American Staffordshire Terrier. I have no idea where my spelling came from. I am always unsure at the abbreviations. I mean this is a GSD site and we should be expected to figure that out, but PB, BC, AST, AS, GR, SB, BM, and more than 100 others, is a bit much.

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
While I'm not condoning her dog charging up, I will say that situations like this are fairly common in the 'real' world (or at least in the NJ/NY/PA area). Over enthusiatic and exuberant greetings from charging dogs that completely ignore their owners.

Just another reason I do what you do. Train and socialize my dog so they know how to behave. Know what I expect. And when these situation occur (and they do) there is only ONE dog I have to keep an eye on and it's not mine.

I've seen a few 'real' dog fights and the people that go in between are the ones that had the more serious injuries and trip to the ER. So the more control in the situation the better. Interesting that the vast majority of the greetings with the charging I've found out just to be rude and inappropriate greetings from the oncoming dog. So I do not get bit. My dog isn't bit. It's just extremely exciting while control is regained of the dogs.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yea, I am so glad she got her dog because I don't know how long I could have danced before it got confident enough to try to jump past me. I think people that get Golden's and that such and end up with a dog aggressive one (which this dog obviously was) really need to understand if they have a dog aggressive dog, they need to protect the public and keep it leashed, fenced, or tethered so people can walk a dog without getting charged. I am almost tempted to get some stuff on Dog aggression and toss it in her mail box so she might get educated, or at least the leash law of my city.

·
Registered
537 Posts
This is what I read: Golden (w/ kids out front) . Elliehana w/ her dog...dog charges...in my opinion, the friendliest dog in the world would get defensive, and the golden may well be protecting those kids. A horrible situation indeed! Years ago our neighbor's two K-9s got out...we were in the near by park and they charged us. I was terrified of what was about to happen and yelled-in my most commanding voice at those dogs to "Go Home:...they both stopped and ran off...whew!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yea, I have had a few of those greeting's maggieroselee, this was not one of them saddly, last one i has I was riding my bike with Goren (I have a walkydog), and he dead stopped, I see a little beagle charging, but body lang told me it was not aggressive, he just stood there, did not look at it and was submissive.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yea you could be right judny I am not sure, I know the lady has little control when she walks her dog, but it could have been "protecting" its pack, it did not seem defensive but if its not well socialized also then that could have been the case.

·
Super Moderator
32,019 Posts

·
Registered
31,827 Posts
People call them Am Staffs so often that I really wasn't sure. Thanks.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
lol yea I can't spell the middle word so I guessed and it looked right (my SP did not have the spelling for some odd reason and I did not want to google >.< )

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
Who knows why the Golden reacted like that. Some goldens are nasty while many are really easy going.

Hope she is more careful from here on out.

Thanks for the breed. I did figure it out eventually, but I always thought it was American Staffordshire Terrier. I have no idea where my spelling came from. I am always unsure at the abbreviations. I mean this is a GSD site and we should be expected to figure that out, but PB, BC, AST, AS, GR, SB, BM, and more than 100 others, is a bit much.
This has already been covered, but I multi-quoted it, so I'll just re-state that is is Staffordshire. It's spelled just like it's pronounced. ;) I hate mis-spellings of so many breeds, especially when people own Staffishires and Sheppards, so it's a peeve of mine I make sure I know. :p

I'm with you on the abbreviation thing thoug- I know most of them and knew this one, but they can definitely get confusing!

I've seen a few 'real' dog fights and the people that go in between are the ones that had the more serious injuries and trip to the ER. So the more control in the situation the better. Interesting that the vast majority of the greetings with the charging I've found out just to be rude and inappropriate greetings from the oncoming dog. So I do not get bit. My dog isn't bit. It's just extremely exciting while control is regained of the dogs.
I broke up a dog fight that a dumb lady initiated at the shelter I work at last week and wound up in the ER with three stitches. :( And I didn't even get in the middle. :help:

yea, I am so glad she got her dog because I don't know how long I could have danced before it got confident enough to try to jump past me. I think people that get Golden's and that such and end up with a dog aggressive one (which this dog obviously was) really need to understand if they have a dog aggressive dog, they need to protect the public and keep it leashed, fenced, or tethered so people can walk a dog without getting charged. I am almost tempted to get some stuff on Dog aggression and toss it in her mail box so she might get educated, or at least the leash law of my city.
If the dog charged, and then did nothing for 20 seconds, are you sure he was aggressive? What body language that you know so well was the dog displaying? I don't see a loose DA dog holding off for 20 seconds when they have the chance in ANY situation.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
no it did not do nothing, I was dancing with it, it did mini charges to try to get past me, I was blocking it. right before it got to me is when the owner started calling so I think it was more like "yes no yea no" and my boy was giving submissive queue's so it was very confused in my opinion. I think it was more of the "defending" the kids as was suggested to me than anything else. I am going to note, I have dyslexia so I 99% of the time spell things how they sound, but I donno that word seems like it should be spelled differently so always trips me up

·
Registered
235 Posts
Just this evening I was walking Lizzie, practicing heels and down the street at full speed, screaming at the top of her lungs comes an unleashed terrier. She is often out and chases everything and everyone. Lizzie reacted by lunging on the leash but immediately sat when I told her to and just watched the dog come. I truly wished I could just release her and let her put an end to it (I know, that is not the proper attitude) but I am so tired of dogs like that. This dog was far from her house, not protecting anything, just running toward us and screaming. One time a gentleman on a bicycle got between us and the dog and chased it back home. What a nuisance. If Lizzie had hurt it I am sure they would have blamed her. She was a good girl though.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
that sucks dianefbarfield, I am glad I don't have that, but if your dog would hurt it, and there is a leash law you would be in the clear and THEY would have to pay you for any vet bills your Lizzie would need from the stupid terrier. I hate stupid people that do not contain there dog, you would think if they loved it they would contain it so it would not be in the road...

·
The Italian One
8,729 Posts
This has already been covered, but I multi-quoted it, so I'll just re-state that is is Staffordshire. It's spelled just like it's pronounced. ;) I hate mis-spellings of so many breeds, especially when people own Staffishires and Sheppards, so it's a peeve of mine I make sure I know. :p

I'm with you on the abbreviation thing thoug- I know most of them and knew this one, but they can definitely get confusing!
Hey, as long as members on "German Shepherd Dog Forums" know how to spell shepherd - I'm happy. On this board it's not required to know how to correctly spell other breeds or know all their abbreviations. :D I remember a member talking about her GSP. I thought for the longest time she had the P wrong and meant D. Turns out she was talking about her German Shorthaired Pointer.

If the dog charged, and then did nothing for 20 seconds, are you sure he was aggressive? What body language that you know so well was the dog displaying? I don't see a loose DA dog holding off for 20 seconds when they have the chance in ANY situation.
I was kind of wondering this also.

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
no it did not do nothing, I was dancing with it, it did mini charges to try to get past me, I was blocking it. right before it got to me is when the owner started calling so I think it was more like "yes no yea no" and my boy was giving submissive queue's so it was very confused in my opinion. I think it was more of the "defending" the kids as was suggested to me than anything else. I am going to note, I have dyslexia so I 99% of the time spell things how they sound, but I donno that word seems like it should be spelled differently so always trips me up
I'm sorry, I know I wasn't there, but this doesn't sound aggressive at all to me. It sounds like the dog wanted to meet yours but didn't because you were being intimidating. You didn't say anything about the dog growling, barking, lunging, etc. which probably would have been going on if the dog was aggressive, or the dog would have bypassed you completely and started killing your dog. Sounds like it was friendly, but afraid of you. A good thing, definitely, but I wouldn't have been worried about my dog.

1 - 20 of 132 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.