German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was on my regular 2 mile route around my neighborhood and out of nowhere a little dachshund came running from someone's backyard and I was expecting it to stop at an electric fence or something but it ran straight into the street at my 6 month old. Then another dog which looked like an obese ugly beagle mutt came running and tackled my dog and biting her and left teeth marks in her back. Ruby was screeching and I was trying to fight the other dog off while holding onto the leash and ended up grabbing it and throwing it hard enough where it started to run away so I left.

I drove back to the house after in a rage and got the moms number from the babysitter. She called me extremely upset saying sometimes they break loose from their fence and told me she would show me records of all the shots and pay any vet bills and was super apologetic, then proceeded to tell me her kids just lost their father the day before. So I decided not to call the dog warden and quarantine it like I had planned.

Now when I take ruby on walks she understandably won't go anywhere near the street so we skip it now.... Every time another dog in a yard barks at her she bolts with her fur straight up and almost knocks me over and dragged me straight into the middle of the street unexpectedly when a car was coming today. Is there anything I can do to help this?
It's frustrating because I don't blame her for being this way and we had JUST finished teaching her how to walk on a leash appropriately... Should i stop walking her If it makes her this scared?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear this happened to your puppy :( I recently had an incident occur with a little terror of a dog that set back the leash work I've been doing with Lucca (5 months old). This little dog charged us while I was walking both my dogs on lead in the middle of nowhere- the loose dog was racing around us in circles attacking the paws of my 65lb mutt... I was trying to keep Lucca behind me but this little terror was zipping every witch way and Luc was terrified... it was a train wreck. Now he is extremely reactive towards other dogs while on lead.

We had been charged once before, when he was about 3-4 months old... that incident had resulted in a loss of confidence & a fearful reaction to most other dogs on lead. I have been working with a trainer to build up his confidence & he had been doing absolutely great (back to square one now because some ppl don't understand how to contain their dogs :mad: ) One of the biggest things that helped him was walking him with an older, calm, confident dog. This was one of the trainers suggestions and it did wonders.

I'd suggest working directly with a trainer or behaviorist... I hope your pup bounces back from the encounter, just take it slow, don't push her.

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
One of the many reasons we socialize and have our pups meet so many new dogs/people in the first year is to better prepare them in case a situation occurs like this. They are much more able to put it into perspective that it was THAT 'bad' dog if they have met so many 'good' dogs prior to a trauma.

Continued socialization and training is key. Not avoiding which won't allow you pup to properly mature and work thru an issue. Every happy fun trip out with treats exercise toys other fun pups and people helps put the one bad meeting in the past.

If you can find a good trainer/classes to help with this it will probably go well even faster.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts