German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My pups are on the older side of puppyhood (both are just over a year). One is full blooded GSD, the other is GSD/ACD mix.
Then there is the old lady, 14 yr old Pit/GSD mix.
My question is what can I use for a bed that the young punk kids wont disembowel then eat?
Or how to teach them to leave it. They understand leave it, usually works for most everything else.

But there is something about things they sleep on... They just simply destroy them. Even if (or maybe because) it isn't theirs.
The full GSD will not let the others have a bed, he takes it. Especially from the ol' lady. He grabs a mouthful and pulls it out from under her.
He has been told NO. but he will do it if I'm doing other things and not paying attention till its done.

I've used soft puffy pillows. They get disemboweled and ingested
I've used dog bed pillows that are supposed to be strong & chew resistant. They get disemboweled and ingested.
I've used old blankets (tired of paying $$$). They get shredded then eaten
I've used old towels (tired of $). They get shredded then eaten
Now they have nothing but the hardwood floors and kennel floor.

98% of their other chewing is on appropriate items (finally) but there seems to be something about what is given as beds.....
And yes before its asked, they get much exercise. Free play, walks, interactive play, puzzle play and reinforced basic & trick training.

·
Super Moderator
5,515 Posts
Get Kuranda cots. I have a knock off brand (because mine don't chew), but the Kuranda is the one that is hard to chew up.

Kuranda dog beds

I didn't think that my dogs would get on the cot, much less sleep on it, but it's been favorite of all my dogs.

·
Registered
212 Posts
For me personally, the dog beds were theirs so I'm pretty sure unconsciously I didn't discipline them the same as if it was something of mine. I had a fair few destroyed, I stopped buying them.

However, I have tile floors so after a while I got a large area rug for downstairs, it cost a fair amount of money and I liked it a lot. So when the first little nibbles happened on the edge of the rug they knew that I meant business. I was not replacing the rug. Now the dogs leave the rug alone and spend most of their time laying on it. Was definitely worth it :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I also recommend Kuranda beds. My first Kuranda survived a super destructive husky/malamute, and my second and third are used and abused regularly by my pack of Swiss Shepherds. We still have and use all 3, including the one that we got for my husky/malamute over 10 years ago. None are even close to needing to be replaced. I think they'll last longer than 33-year-old me ?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts