German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today we unexpectedly got an APBT pup... we were not planning on getting any new dogs anytime soon but a co-worker of mine told me the puppy's story and I felt so bad I couldn't say no. :( Basically her dog had pups, she sold them all and this one was brought back because the new owners couldn't handle her. My co-worker said she thinks they were being much too harsh with her because she is now very shy and skittish.

So I brought her home and after an hour or so she started to come out of her shell and warm up to us, and she is SO sweet and mellow. She is the opposite of Eko, if you even look at her like you're upset she just cowers. So we are learning how to train in a totally different way, much more gentle, and quietly.

This is the picture I was sent when I asked to see her, this was another reason I took her I thought this picture was awful :(

The rest are pictures I took today at home, I think these are much better. :D Her name was Nikki but I wanted a fresh start for her so we named her Xena. :wub:

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
She's adorable. I fostered an APBT pup when my two shepherd girls were pups. Didn't take long for them to teach her there was no reason to be mellow anymore! Bet you have your hands full in no time. ;)

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She's adorable. I fostered an APBT pup when my two shepherd girls were pups. Didn't take long for them to teach her there was no reason to be mellow anymore! Bet you have your hands full in no time. ;)
I hope so! :) She's made a bunch of progress in just a day she even played with Eko for a little bit today. Hopefully it won't take long for her to trust us more, I felt so bad when I took her outside to go potty and reached out to give her a treat after she peed, she flinched and rolled on her side like she thought I was going to hit her! I think sudden movements really freak her out so instead we've just been praising her with our voice when she goes potty. I read pit bull puppies are supposed to be like a "bull in a china shop", and call me crazy but I wish she was a bit more rambunctious! :crazy:

I think I might live to regret saying that! Lol

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Awe she is adorable! She will start to warm up again Im sure and not be so skittish, but will take a little bit of time and patience, she is still very young. I wish I could get a APBT pup but I know I will be moving back to my home province probably in a year or so and they are illegal there so there is no way I would get one to have to give it up

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah she's only 14 weeks luckily so I think we can turn her around. :) That's sad you can't have one, I am lucky enough to live in a town where they are only restricted, and my landlord will let me have a pit bull. I am still nervous though, I've been telling anyone who asks that she is a mix.

Me and her already have a little bond she follows me all around the house and always wants to sit in my lap. :D

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
My pup Tempesti is a pit with a similar story. She still is a little shy of strangers but she has made great strides. She and Havoc, our GSD, play well together. Congratulations!

·
Premium Member
1,068 Posts
What a cherub. She already looks much happier.

·
Registered
144 Posts
How precious! I'da done the same thing although I'm not really familiar with the PB breed other than the normal bad rap they get, but she sure could of 'suaded me! :wub:

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys :) She is just as sweet as she looks and her and Eko already get along great they were giving each other kisses last night :wub:

She's been doing better, when she is alone with me she runs in circles all over the house and then jumps up on the couch with me to cuddle. :) But I get the feeling men scare her, she is always hiding behind me and won't come to any of the guys and flinches when they reach out to pet her. :( I've already talked to them and said even if she did something really bad not to spank her bottom because there's no need, a look or a no is plenty. My boyfriend caught her chewing on the couch and told her no and she just wilted. She looked very sad. :(

So I think I'll have to look up some ways to help her out around men so she's not hiding behind me all the time. I think it won't take long she's a great dog already!

Attachments

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Your new baby is a cutie and she looks right at home snuggled up to her big handsome brother.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts