German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my new lens today! An AF-S 18-105 Nikkor 3.5-5.6. I thought I'd try it out on my dogs, of course. The backyard is boring, but ahh well. I'll find some different scenery another time, just wanted to try out the lens!

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One of your dogs' tongue is to big for his mouth. He is always sticking it out at you. LOL!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Haha, yeah. The Vet said he needed dental work when he was a pup, but I didn't get him until he was a year and a half, so there's not much I can do about it :shrug: I love him no matter what though, of course!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Just too cute.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
I'll second that. I love your sable.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys. Been super happy with the lens thus far. Unfortunately, these were just boring, backyard pictures. Can't wait to take it out and really see what it can do.

Thanks for all the compliments on the dogs by the way :)

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Gorgeous - especially love the Koda portraits.

Hope you don't mind me asking, but what lens(es) were you using before? I have the 18-105mm as well but haven't used it as much as my 18-55mm. I picked up the 18-105mm more recently as a part of a package deal and keep forgetting to take it out!

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was mostly using my off brand (Quantaray, Ick) 18-200mm, and my shots were fine. I always say, it's not the gear, it's the photographer. Now I have the AF-S Nikkor 18-105mm, that Quantaray 18-200mm, a Nikkor 28-80mm (Never used that one much, don't know why) and an AF-S Nikkor 55-200mm :)

·
Registered
103 Posts
I was mostly using my off brand (Quantaray, Ick) 18-200mm, and my shots were fine. I always say, it's not the gear, it's the photographer.
I second that. I run a commercial photo studio. If you know what you're doing you can coax amazing results out of very low-end equipment.

Odd thing about the photo industry is that everyone thinks it's the equipment. Drives me crazy.

Nice work on your site by the way...

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Oh, I completely agree. I remind myself of that frequently before I start thinking about purchasing new lenses/equipment ;)

Only asked because I'll end up selling either my 18-55mm or my 18-105mm and was wondering if you've had both to compare. I don't really need anything past 55mm and the one time I used the 18-105mm, I didn't think it was as quick as the 18-55mm. That's why I keep meaning to take it out to use...

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I second that. I run a commercial photo studio. If you know what you're doing you can coax amazing results out of very low-end equipment.

Odd thing about the photo industry is that everyone thinks it's the equipment. Drives me crazy.

Nice work on your site by the way...
Thank you very much, I appreciate that. It bugs me how everyone thinks they need a $4,000 DSLR to get a great image. Most of those panoramics on my site were taken with a point and shoot camera, believe it or not.

People just don't understand you need understanding of light, composition, etc. You also need to experiment, experiment....And experiment some more. There's no way to get better (In my eyes), than to try new things!

I got my BA in Photography four years ago, and started doing it in High School (Over ten years ago)...Never stopped. I'm back at school now pursuing my teaching certificate so that I can teach Photography. I love it. :)

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh, I completely agree. I remind myself of that frequently before I start thinking about purchasing new lenses/equipment ;)

Only asked because I'll end up selling either my 18-55mm or my 18-105mm and was wondering if you've had both to compare. I don't really need anything past 55mm and the one time I used the 18-105mm, I didn't think it was as quick as the 18-55mm. That's why I keep meaning to take it out to use...
Why don't you need anything past 55mm? Do you do a lot of landscape stuff? Do you not do portraits or anything?

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
I take a lot of portraits of my dog, but I'm using a 50mm on a crop sensor, and even that feels a little too close for me at times. I have an 11-16mm for landscapes.

I also already have a Tamron 55-200mm (it was a gift, took it to the coast with me this weekend), and was flailing LOL Don't get me wrong, I love being able to zoom in to get a shot I'd never be able to otherwise... but I found myself backing up a LOT more than I was zooming in.

I will grab both kit lenses and try to compare them tomorrow. It makes more sense to keep the 18-105mm, though I'm not worried about it either way. The nerd in me likes to compare examples and specs, but I have fun taking pictures no matter what equipment I'm using. I am the same way with dogs - you should see me whenever I spot a GSD. I almost always ask where the dog is from and start chatting about the breed :D

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You know that long lenses are better for portraits, right? If you use short lenses, or wide angles, they come out looking distorted...Unless that's the look you're going for.

Either way, I've seen your photos and love them! :)

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
For the record, I've never thought that photography in itself was about the equipment. It plays no small part, but almost everyone I know agrees that too much weight is put on the gear. Yes, I get excited over the bokeh that the 85mm produces, and I'd pick a 24-70mm f/2.8 over a 28-70mm f/3.5-4.5... but put either in my hands and you'd have a "brilliant image of a fuzzy concept" at best. After all, I don't compare my pictures to those of a photographer's and say "hmm... my pictures need creamier bokeh. Corners need to be sharper. But give me that, and I'm as good as pro" :p

Anthony on this board has taken fantastic photos with that $5 lens he picked up. And I wouldn't have known you had switched lenses if you never mentioned it (not viewing images at 800x600 after PP at least). They all look amazing to me!!

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
You know that long lenses are better for portraits, right? If you use short lenses, or wide angles, they come out looking distorted...Unless that's the look you're going for.

Either way, I've seen your photos and love them! :)
I try to fix the distortion in LR 4 or CS6 usually... but please let me know if they're still coming out distorted LOL

The problem with longer lenses is that I take pictures of my dog almost exclusively. And my dog does not like to be far away from me, especially while off leash. I can only fake throwing a ball or treat so many times before he catches on :cry: If I wanted an action or candid shot with the 55-200mm, I had to get further away...which only prompted Trent to run after me.

That, and just plain habit. I'm accustomed to my 50mm and know where I need to be to get the shot framed the way I want. Another reason to got off my butt and take more pictures - something tells me I'd have an easier time if I had more practice!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts