German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Found this forum last night. I picked up my first dog, a GSD, and she's an 8 week old puppy. Brought her home today, picked up a crate and all the essentials. She's a little home sick it seems. She wants to play with my cat but my cat doesn't let her get too close :)

Anyways, I hope to learn a lot here. It's her first day at my house so I'm letting her get used to it before I crate her.

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
Welcome and congrats on your little fur baby! This forum is awesome-you will learn alot-it's been a life saver for me!

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Hi guys,

Found this forum last night. I picked up my first dog, a GSD, and she's an 8 week old puppy. Brought her home today, picked up a crate and all the essentials. She's a little home sick it seems. She wants to play with my cat but my cat doesn't let her get too close :)

Anyways, I hope to learn a lot here. It's her first day at my house so I'm letting her get used to it before I crate her.
Welcome to the site and congrats on your new puppy. Whats her name?

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
:welcome: and congrats on your new pup!

·
Registered
572 Posts
M3GAPL3X

Welcome to the forum, and I hope that your new GSD brings you the immense joy, laughter, and love that our GSD's have brought to our hearts.

There are some great threads about a new puppy to help you deal with her. Patience, understanding, and more patience goes a long way because some puppies can really test you.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Hi there! I got my first GSD puppy today, too! Good to know there's other souls dealing with first day puppy anxiety at the same time! My boy is also trying to get my dogs and cats to play with him, but so far, not much luck either lol. Anyway good luck with her and have fun!

·
Registered
535 Posts
Mega,
Your first ever dog and you got a GSD ! Way to go. Super choice . I had to wait two dogs before I crossed over and man am I glad I did. GSDs rock ( i still want a sticker for my car that says that !) .

Larien,
You both better hope your dog does not have a strong prey drive hehehehhehhehhe.

kk

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Mega,
Your first ever dog and you got a GSD ! Way to go. Super choice . I had to wait two dogs before I crossed over and man am I glad I did. GSDs rock ( i still want a sticker for my car that says that !) .

Larien,
You both better hope your dog does not have a strong prey drive hehehehhehhehhe.

kk

check out Cafepress.com. you can customize a bumper sticker for your car along with a ton of other stuff too!!! i'm addicted to the site lol.

Welcome to the forum and we demand pictures!!! lol. Shasta is almost 6 months old (my 4th GSD) and she still tries to convince our cats to play with her. She thinks they're funny looking puppies. The cats arent thrilled. Getting better though.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Got my GSD puppy 5 days ago. Love him sooo much already. And I think he's a genius. He's already starting to cry at the door when he needs to go outside! Although if I hide his nylabone under something right in front of him he can't find it and he likes to eat his own poo. Sooo, maybe he's not a genius - but we love him anyway.
Hope your enjoying your new puppy too!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the reply guys. The first day and night was a little tough on her. Constant crying and wanting to play with my cat, but my cat plays with her for a while and the GSD gets a little aggressive (still playing, but aggressive for the cat) and runs away.

The pup is pooped inside and peed inside and it seems its gonna be a challenge to train her (at least right now).

Still trying to get her to respond to her name (Ellise). I think the cheap treats I got from Petco are not helping. Will try getting her better treats.

At first, she was resistant to her crate. I finally put a pillow in there and than some food and she went right in. I did not close the crate though because she would cry constantly to get out.

At night, I didn't get much sleep. She would want to play at around 1 AM (she was sleeping in her crate upstairs with me and my wife).

Overall, first day was great. I know it is going to be a challenge to train her, but I know I have the patience and know she will turn out to be a great dog.

My cat and her are funny though. They keep eating out of each others bowls and in the night, my cat will go in her crate and try to drink all of her water. It's actually pretty funny and I am going to record it next time.

Will post pics soon. Thanks for the replies! :hug:

·
Registered
572 Posts
Don't forget to let her out at least once every two hours. Profusely praise when she does her business. Be especially alert right after a meal and when she just wakes up from a nap. Anytime she wants to run off and be apart from you for just a few seconds is also a red flag. I would also closely supervise those cat-puppy encounters.

·
Registered
200 Posts
My 7 week old puppy goes out typically once in the middle of the night. He hated his crate too. If I put his crate high and sleep near him he's better. Have to work so he's in crate during day, but do come home for lunch to let him out. He did not get going out to do his business at first either, but got the hang of it quickly. I watched him like a hawk and would even pick him up mid stream and bring him outside and then of course a treat if he did his business. Worked great.
He never messed in his crate though. I didn't even have to use the divider to make it small.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Congratulations on your new puppy! Would love to see pictures.:)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Don't forget to let her out at least once every two hours. Profusely praise when she does her business. Be especially alert right after a meal and when she just wakes up from a nap. Anytime she wants to run off and be apart from you for just a few seconds is also a red flag. I would also closely supervise those cat-puppy encounters.
Hi,

I actually don't lock the crate yet because she freaks out. At night, I leave it open and she knows to sleep in there. I got a comfy pillow in there for her as well as food/water. I think I might cut down on the food/water in the crate at night and feed her at bed time..no more free feeding. Have a scheduled meal plan.

I took the day off yesterday, but today my wife and I had to work. I left her in the garage with the crate door open again. I don't want her to freak out when I am gone.

·
5,627 Posts
Food and water should be on a schedule to make house breaking easier. Free access to water when you are around and put up 30-60 minutes before she is being asked to hold it (bed time or when you leave for work).

There's nothing in the garage that she can get into, right? I know there are so many dangerous things in mine that could really hurt or kill a dog and no matter how clean I try and get it, I might miss something or a rodent may sneak in and leave tasty treats that could make my dog sick.

Why put her in the crate if you aren't securing her in there? You're going to have to suck it up and let her scream it out at some point in order to crate train her. Some ideas to make it positive are to feed her in the crate (door can be open) or to give her a kong with PB to keep her occupied in there when you leave.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Food and water should be on a schedule to make house breaking easier. Free access to water when you are around and put up 30-60 minutes before she is being asked to hold it (bed time or when you leave for work).

There's nothing in the garage that she can get into, right? I know there are so many dangerous things in mine that could really hurt or kill a dog and no matter how clean I try and get it, I might miss something or a rodent may sneak in and leave tasty treats that could make my dog sick.

Why put her in the crate if you aren't securing her in there? You're going to have to suck it up and let her scream it out at some point in order to crate train her. Some ideas to make it positive are to feed her in the crate (door can be open) or to give her a kong with PB to keep her occupied in there when you leave.
Yea this is my first dog and can not stand it when she cries...but when I get home from work I'll go ahead and lock her in for a bit. I just hate to see her cry and my cats there roaming free and sitting on top of her cage...maybe I'll lock the cat up in the room.

I just feel really bad for her when she cries. I understand she lost her litter mates and is homesick.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts