German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at home but had been going in and out of the garden all day and so I'd left the front door unlocked.

A neighbor who does not understand manners or boundaries decided to open my door without knocking or ringing my doorbell.

My 16 month old white GSD male sprung up and gave a deep, menacing growl I've never heard before. I ran to the door to see my dog at a stand-off with the neighbor, where the guy looked absolutely terrified and did not move a muscle until I told my dog to stand down.

This neighbor has come over before, but in the past, he rang the doorbell. In that situation, my dog would run to the door barking and I'd tell him to sit. Once he was in a sit, I'd open the door. No problems. If anything, I thought my dog was too friendly because most of the time he greets visitors with friendliness and a wagging tail.

The neighbor was upset with me and made a comment about my dog. I told him, "Don't open my door without knocking or ringing the doorbell and being given permission to come in. That lets Snowy know you are a welcome guest and not an intruder."

Most of the time, my dog is a big, friendly, goofy guy. He is gentle with the cat and with my mom and friendly with the neighbor kid who mows my lawn. The neighbor kid loves him, in fact. When we go on walks, if people ask to pet him, he allows it. He doesn't enjoy it but he shows no aggression. He is generally good-natured if sometimes rambunctious.

So I was totally stunned at how quickly he went from my laid back gentle giant to a ferocious creature.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I think that's good, protective behavior!

Once the plumber went out to get his tools and let himself in, and my dog was the same way.
Growling, followed plumber into the kitchen, and we had to leash him because after that, every time the plumber walked by he would lunge and bark and growl at him.

I think that in their mind, a person crosses the line from "Guest" to "Intruder" when they are not greeted at the door by the pack leader (us).

·
Registered
55 Posts
Sorry but this breed is anything but a gentle giant outside of their people and pack. Your dog did exactly what it is made to do. I agree with a previous poster, I expect that my dog would respect who I welcome in the house. I desire and applaud the idea of my dog being more alert and potentially aggressive when someone I have not welcomed decides to come in my home.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Sounds to me like he did a really good job alerting you to this person entering your house without you inviting them in. Good control that he stood down when you instructed him.

I'd be very uncomfortable with a neighbour entering my home without expressed permission. Good that your dog has your back.

·
Registered
538 Posts
What a moron. He walks in uninvited then blames it on Snowy ! Duh
Good for you for staying calm and explaining if he acts like an intruder ...he can expect the dog to treat him like one.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I always wonder what Trinity would do, her usual behavior when someone rings bell is just that .. goes to the door and barks. No clue what she would do if she was out roaming in the house and a stranger just walks in.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I was at home but had been going in and out of the garden all day and so I'd left the front door unlocked.

A neighbor who does not understand manners or boundaries decided to open my door without knocking or ringing my doorbell.

My 16 month old white GSD male sprung up and gave a deep, menacing growl I've never heard before. I ran to the door to see my dog at a stand-off with the neighbor, where the guy looked absolutely terrified and did not move a muscle until I told my dog to stand down.

This neighbor has come over before, but in the past, he rang the doorbell. In that situation, my dog would run to the door barking and I'd tell him to sit. Once he was in a sit, I'd open the door. No problems. If anything, I thought my dog was too friendly because most of the time he greets visitors with friendliness and a wagging tail.

The neighbor was upset with me and made a comment about my dog. I told him, "Don't open my door without knocking or ringing the doorbell and being given permission to come in. That lets Snowy know you are a welcome guest and not an intruder."

Most of the time, my dog is a big, friendly, goofy guy. He is gentle with the cat and with my mom and friendly with the neighbor kid who mows my lawn. The neighbor kid loves him, in fact. When we go on walks, if people ask to pet him, he allows it. He doesn't enjoy it but he shows no aggression. He is generally good-natured if sometimes rambunctious.

So I was totally stunned at how quickly he went from my laid back gentle giant to a ferocious creature.
Dogs really feels the energy of humans... Sometimes even people doesn't see the right picture of a person, but dogs definitely will! That's why I love them so much, you can't fake a dog, dog can fake (prank) you any time by getting "sick" so you would stay home... so smart animals!🥰

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Unless your neighbor has some kind of mental deficiency or condition where he can’t tell right from wrong, this is just creepy. And then he criticized your dog?
Well of course! The dog got in the way of the neighbor’s foul plans and pointed out how he was in the wrong. ;)

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
We don’t know what his plans were. Maybe he’s just friendly and clueless. But I would not take chances.
Lol I would probably bet money that there was no ill-intent. My comment was just a joke. But a lot of us keep shepherds around because you never know!

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
PS
You have a 16 month old dog that's able to snarl and stare down the neighbor/intruder....time to stop thinking of him as or referring to him as a "puppy" for both your sakes;)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts