German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The decision has been made and we rehomed our GSD. It wasn't easy,as he was my husbands dog,and he loved him alot. The initial decision to get him was for home security.He was from a backyard breeder, the price sucked us in,I will admit. When he was younger,everything was fine. Small problems arose,and I have lurked on this forum,and all over the internet looking for answers. Chewing became a problem,no matter how many stuffed toys he shred,Kongs,ropes, rawhides,and even sticks from outside. he destroyed our kitchen table,and chewed a hole in our plasterboard wall!. He was moved into a pup proof enclosed sunporch,and found that months of housebreaking resulted in him relieving himself in a corner. With warmer weather, more time was spent outside with him,and a kennel was provided for him. He kept jumping the kennel, the higher kennel was given to him,and would destroy the fencing,and crawl out. He was tied out on an extremely long tie out,and things seemed to go well for a while,until a morning where a cop came knocking on the door about dog barking. Alot of stress in the past 2 months about his increasing noise. Coming in at about midnight, he would whine like a new puppy again! not sleeping for more than 4-5 hours before waking the entire house up from howling. With my husbands recent overtime,and working 6 days,we just haven't spent the time with him he deserves,and we decided to rehome him. He was aquired for protection for our home, and I know now that i should have researched breeders as to what kind of Shepherds they sell...as to what kind of drive they have. This shepherd lacked a herding drive as demonstrated by his running away from the horses that got on our property.He literally ran with his tail between his legs to the door! The other 3 kept the horses back until the owners came and got them, a golden mix and 2 cockers!!! He has picked up on the friendlyness of the other dogs,and is extremely neurotic when someone comes.Pacing and just the want of attention and even submissive pees. He has yet to lift his leg,even being still about 8 months old,knowing it can take longer sometimes. His ears have yet to stand,even talking to that breeder about it,and the advice to leave them,as the parents and every other pup was said to go up naturally.I have tried glueing and taping and cannot still the dog enough to do so,or he just knocks the tape and sets off. I do not believe what the breeder has said to me,as they will say anything to get their money. I will be emailing them about their poorly bred dog. He does not bark at anyone that comes,only barks at owls at night. He is just not what we were looking for in a German Shepherd. I have to admit i am just soured by the breed. I absolutely love them, I have owned one years ago, but just cannot see myself owning another one in my life. I never thought I would be a cocker person, but since 14 they have grown on me, and will be a part of my life forever. this has been an emotional lesson for us. We did not want to just "dump" the dog,but screened over 60 potential homes. I was informed that he is a great dog,and they are absolutely thrilled with him! they will still keep in touch with us from time to time through email. I still want to lurk, as there is alot of information here to learn.

·
Registered
27,294 Posts
I wish your dog luck.
Did you ever take him to classes for training? Ever use a crate so he wouldn't destroy things? What did you do with him for mental exercise?
There were things that could have been done so he didn't fail...
An 8 month old that doesn't lift his leg is normal(I see no reason for that to have been a "problem")
I hope he doesn't get re-homed, re-homed, re-homed. I hope the one he is in now will give him what a GSD needs, not tied out and a life of structure, things to keep his mind busy so his body doesn't get him into trouble.

·
Registered
32,553 Posts
I don't read a problem with the dog. I see an untrained puppy with poor owners who expected a perfect dog. I'm glad you rehomed him. I hope the home he went to understands GSD's and will love him.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
Yes, your dog sounds terrible.

His ears didn't stand.

He still squatted to pee like 99% of GSD puppies do

He likes to chew on things (not his fault it was your stuff and not his, he didn't know)

He got bored in a kennel and wanted out

He didn't understand that living on the patio was "indoors" vs outside like it appears

He's friendly to strangers (oh the horrors)

He didn't "defend the house against a runaway horse"

If I was the breeder, I'd rip you a new one if you emailed me with these complaints.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
no sympathy from me. He is a puppy who ended up with owners who failed him miserably from the start. at 8 months old, NO he isnt going to protect. Did you ever give him a reason to even want to? Not to mention he's still growing and maturing mentally. Doesnt sound like it to me. The good thing you did for him was provide him with a better home than he had with you. GSDs take a lot of work and a lot of training. you're not just going to end up with the perfect dog from the start. It doesnt work that way with ANY puppy. And if you're going to allow your screw up with him to turn you off from the breed.... thats probably for the best. My dogs are FAMILY first. I would never expect my 7 month old puppy to automatically protect. She wants to be with us and she is. She's being trained to have manners and good behaviors. She isnt shunned to outside because we're lazy. Dogs WANT and NEED to be a part of the family. Epic fail on your part for thinking your neglect in his training and needs was okay. I'm glad he's no longer a part of your "family" and i certainly question your ownership of ANY animals at this point.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
I am trying to understand why the OP bothered to post this, it makes NO sense to get on a GSD forum and say these things....

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
VALIDATION.
OP wants us to crowd around and tell them that its alright, it happens to the best of us.
OP doesnt realize most of us work with rescued dogs who have behavioural issues far, far beyond 'puppy' issues. No validation, you failed your friend. No sympathy.

·
Registered
27,294 Posts
I know a few GSD's that are outside dogs, it breaks my heart because I know how much they want to be with their families. Of course they can't come inside because they haven't learned the "rules" so are like a bull in a china shop. Then they don't get another chance at even learning how to be a housedog.
I hope Klaus13 did learn from this and the pup will be able to get on with a good life.
Cockers are better suited for some people, GSD's are better suited for others...

·
Registered
32,553 Posts
My mind keeps going back to the horses. Jax was raised around horses and had no fear about running under their legs. I can't count the number of times my heart stopped. At about 1 year, she decided she was scared of them and ran back to the house as fast as she could. It took a leash and alot of rewarding to get her near them again.

And then came the day my 1100 lb horse took exception to her being in the same field as him! Luckily, we had the field fenced in a very small area because it was spring and we didn't want him trampling the field before the grass grew in. Jax got out of the fence before he got to her and all I could do was stand on the other side and scream.

So the question I have is...why the **** would anyone want their 8 mth old puppy who probably weighs no more than 60-70 lbs take on, not one, but three 1000 lb animals. Do you want a dead dog?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I deserve the critisizm. I have 3 other dogs right now. I have trained them all. I have had 6 other dogs that I have raised from pup to passing away at almost 13. I have trained my dogs enough to of even won an award at a small local show. I spend time with my dogs all the time. I have over an acre of land for running around,and they all run and play with each other hours a day! Ok..so some of those things were un neccesary to share, no the leg lifting isn't grounds for rehoming, my male cocker still doesnt at about a yr old. The ears have been a frustration,as my previous shepherd's never went up. The breeder had only said to leave them alone,and never did answer my question about other pups and parents ears. The porch is an enclosed room,an addition to the house,not an actual outside patio. I have tried keep him in the house to familiarize himself with his territory,but he is destroying it. He has a crate,and will not keep quiet in it,no matter what hour of the day. Like I said, I have lurked and tried suggestions to solve every issue,and just cannot. He is really being enjoyed,they have no other pets,so he will get 100 percent attention if that is truly what he needed. I'm sure he has a forever home now.

·
Registered
525 Posts
GEEZ - He is just a puppy! It is was YOUR responsibility to teach and mold him and not expect him to be perfect out of the box - I am sure that puppy loved you - too bad you could not love him back just for who he is. Breeders don't just "breed" specifics into a dog off of a menu -- each dog is an individual - not just a "dog" - I am sure he had the beautiful GSD Heart that we all love and appreciate. I hope to God that you showed more intelligence in selecting his new family than what you have already shown.

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
Just a reminder - not pointed at anyone - or saying anything has been said that is over the line - to remember there is a line and that while most of us will disagree with this, there are many on this board who have rehomed dogs, and for reasons that they thought were as reasonable as the OP did.

I will definitely say that it is good that you did rehome him, that you definitely can continue to stick around to learn more, and that your self-awareness in realizing that a GSD is not for you is actually a great thing - and I wish that about 30,000 people each year joined you in that realization!!!! BEFORE they got the dogs that they do not place as you did, but dump them in shelters.

·
Registered
32,553 Posts
He is really being enjoyed,they have no other pets,so he will get 100 percent attention if that is truly what he needed. I'm sure he has a forever home now.
Good. I hope they hire a trainer to help with the submissive peeing. I hope they read the books like Scaredy Dog to help him not be scared. I hope they expose him to horses, livestock, lots of people and lots of other dogs. I'm sure he'll be a phenomenal dog who will make people very happy.

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
I hope the new owners have found a diamond in the rough. (Or in this case would it be a diamond in the woof? ;))

Don't know about the rest of you, but I'm glad the OP no longer wants to own any GSD's. Score one for the breed.

·
Registered
7,466 Posts
is there a "bite your tongue" icon?

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Yes, your dog sounds terrible.

His ears didn't stand.

He still squatted to pee like 99% of GSD puppies do

He likes to chew on things (not his fault it was your stuff and not his, he didn't know)

He got bored in a kennel and wanted out

He didn't understand that living on the patio was "indoors" vs outside like it appears

He's friendly to strangers (oh the horrors)

He didn't "defend the house against a runaway horse"

If I was the breeder, I'd rip you a new one if you emailed me with these complaints.
+1 to that. Sounds like you seriously failed that dog, but hopefully he's in a better home right now. Make sure to do some serious thinking an research before ever getting another dog.

·
Registered
12,142 Posts
No sympathy here...
Glad he was rehomed and pray it is the wonderful home that he deserves.

p.s....just saw an app from someone who's GSD was KILLED by a horse.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts