German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
I'm sorry, I missed the point of your post.

Their original purpose is to keep the sheep within a certain boundary. I think they would be naturally protective, but there are better breeds if you want a Livestock Guard Dog.

Livestock Guardian Dogs

·
Registered
508 Posts
Komondor, Great Pyrenees....those are your LGD's (livestock guard dogs) GSD's make a good herding dog, but as far as a cutting dog, a border collie makes a better cutter.

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
GSDs can be trained not to harass livestock, but it's a learning curve and you're likely to suffer some losses if you don't supervise closely. A GSD's prey drive does not lend itself well to a job as Livestock Guardian. I have an Akbash dog for that. :) My older GSD has learned to be trustworthy around the poultry and goats, but I wouldn't leave her unattended with them. The puppy is still a work in progress.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The folks around here with sheep that use a guardien Livestock dog (one that lives with the sheep) use Maremma's and Great Pyrenees.

For herding most use Border Collies.

The GSD is a tending breed and can do the cut etc. because that is part of the job but their main use is as tenders to keep the flock out of places they should not be like the corn field.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts