German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Odin is going to be under general anesthesia tomorrow. Not life threatening but anytime that happens it's cause for concern.

The fear I've had for awhile happened. The loose Mastiff attacked Frigga today and she went down fast curling into a ball to try and save herself. I was right next to her and tried to drive the dog off and got puncture wounds in my wrist and forearm for my efforts. Odin was across the other side of the yard when this happened and after I screamed in pain it seemed he was there in an instant. I have seen him fight before, but this time was different. He hates to fight and will only do so when there's no other way out and the other dog started it. Odin fought this dog like a lion! He's 7 years old now and past his prime but still plenty of power left. That and the Mastiff was young and probably inexperienced. Plus Odin was fighting for my sake. He won but it took everything he had to do so. He tore the Mastiff up and chased it off our land but came back to my recall. He seemed to be fine at first other than being worn out. I only saw a small amount of blood at the base of his ear. After I got back from the ER I saw that he was holding his head funny and seemed to be in pain in that ear more than I had thought for what damage I could see. I took him to the vet and it appears he may have some inner ear damage. Vet says she can see a torn flap of flesh inside so he's going under tomorrow for more treatment. For now he's on Rimadyl and antibiotics. Other than a couple small gashes on her forehead and muzzle Frigga is okay. So have Odin in your thoughts tomorrow. I won't be at ease until he wakes up.

Since he's going to be sedated anyway I'm also having x-rays done to check for any early signs of cancer. I've had two dogs now get cancer. Lost one and the other beat it but not by much. We had bloodwork done on him this spring and that came back fine. I'm just going another step since he will be sedated anyway and he's at the age when it's worth checking everything possible. I owe him so much it's the very least I can do for him.

Oh yeah, I contacted the Mastiff's owner. He's up to date on rabies shots so I don't have to worry about that. Owner says he will probably put the dog down since this is his third attack on another dog and this time he attacked a human being. Police came and got all the info. Our neighbors across the way also witnessed what happened.

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
Poor Odin. Hoping he comes through it well. Trouble with GSDs is you don't know they're hurt unless they're really hurt.

Originally Posted By: GSDad Owner says he will probably put the dog down since this is his third attack on another dog and this time he attacked a human being.
The owner finds that's necessary? Why not try to contain the dog???

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
Tom, I am so, so very sorry that this happend to you, to Odin, and to Frigga. I will be praying for Odin to be well soon, and for all to go well tomorrow for him at the vets, and also for an "all clear" after his scans for cancer to ease your concerns.

I am also so sad for the mastiff, to be euthanized only because the owner refuses to keep him responsibly contained. It takes a dedicated idiot to avoid socializing a large guardian breed malosser and then let him roam free, or have him several times "accidentally" get out of the house... then blame the dog for the damage and then kill him for it.

Sending good thoughts and prayers for Odin, Frigga, and yourself. I am so very sorry that this happened!

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
I'm so sorry, I will be thinking of Odin and wishing him a speedy recovery. I feel badly for the Mastiff, his owner should have never let this happen and now the poor dog must pay the ultimate price for his owners mistake. I certainly hope the Mastiff's owner will be paying for Odin's surgery as well as your doctor bills.

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
Poor Odin, Frigga and you! What a huge scare. Hope all goes well with the surgery.

It's not the mastiff that needs to be put down, but the owner. He'll just get another dog and history repeats itself.

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
prayers are going your way

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree with you folks, it's a shame for the Mastiff. This guy really has no clue. I've spoken to him more than once about letting his dog loose. "He just escapes" is what the guy tells me. Yeah right. I can tell he's the type who got a big bada$$ type dog for vanity and not with any kind of devotion for the dog. I think the police may have gone overboard in putting the fear of God into him about containing his dog and the possible consequences and this is his answer. I too wish the dog had a better fate.

Thanks for all the kind thoughts for Odin. He's hurt and he's sore but I'm sure he'll be okay. I'm more concerned about his going under than anything regarding him.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Good vibes going out to Odin on his surgery. What a brave boy! One thing I have to say, even though I haven't owned a GSD for long is that they are very loyal to their master and family. What a terrible thing to have to go through. I couldn't even imagine being in your situation. I am very glad everyone is ok at your house though. Keep us updated on how Odin is doing after surgery.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
I'm so sorry that Odin was hurt. Poor guy really worked for you. When my dogs are undre anesthesia I always opt for blood work first and have IV fluids going in. I'm sure tuff Odin will be OK - you may need some medication, though.

I'll be thinking of him and wishing for the best.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Tom, I hope everyone gets better soon. That includes Odin, Frigga and you. I'll say a prayer for you guys. I'm always worried when our dogs go under anesthesia also. It scares me more than some procedures.

It really is a shame about the Mastiff. The owner is irresponsible and now the dog is going to pay for that.

·
Banned
28 Posts
Originally Posted By: GSDad ... Owner says he will probably put the dog down since this is his third attack on another dog and this time he attacked a human being. Police came and got all the info. Our neighbors across the way also witnessed what happened.
I'll keep my comments to myself.

Best wishes tomorrow for Odin and I hope you and Frigga heal very soon.

·
Registered
7,571 Posts
Lots of love and prayers for Odin and all of his pack, including his humans who, I'm sure, are quite shaken up.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I'm sending you and Odin the best of wishes for a good result. Bless Odin's heart for jumping in, but I know it hurts that he got hurt even if he was defending you.

It's really bad owner can't be put down for not caring enough to train his dog. It's his fault the whole thing happened!!

Ask him to pay for your expenses!! And if he doesn't, take him to smaall claims court or whatever court in your area would handle a matter like this.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
We have talked to our attorney. Still deciding how best to proceed. I dislike taking this to the courts. I'm not somebody who can just go sue another person very easily. My medical expenses are paid for by the military and I will have no lasting damage except some scars. I do want Odin's care paid for and I think that's correct. I may ask for some amount for having to deal with it all but not overly much. Other than having the vet bill paid my real hope is to have the fellow realize that his irresponsibility cost him not only a dog he evidently placed no real value on, and some money, but a court record as to what happened. Perhaps that might sink in and cause him to not repeat this with another dog.

Yes, Lori, still in shock. My arm hurts like he|| and I'm worried about my boy. Won't get past that until he comes to after the anesthesia wears off. The Rimadyl is helping him though.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
I hope everything goes ok with Odin and I hope you and Frigga feel better soon. Glad she knew what to do to protect herself!

Has the owner of the mastiff offered to pay for the vet/medical care? He doesn't sound like someone who will learn a lesson from anything if his solution is to kill his dog instead of containing him.

·
Registered
330 Posts
The "Crew" and I are sending you and Odin special thoughts. Davit was under today for a lumpectomy, so I understand worrying while they are under and screening for cancer.I'm sure you have a good clinic up your way and they will take excellent care of Odin. Don't hesitate to call to check in. In the past I've sat in the waiting room until they were finished.

·
Banned
28 Posts
Originally Posted By: GSDadWe have talked to our attorney. Still deciding how best to proceed. I dislike taking this to the courts. I'm not somebody who can just go sue another person very easily.

... Other than having the vet bill paid my real hope is to have the fellow realize that his irresponsibility cost him not only a dog he evidently placed no real value on, and some money, but a court record as to what happened. Perhaps that might sink in and cause him to not repeat this with another dog. ...
Sadly, I think that's the only way you'll make this fellow realize that his irresponsibility is unacceptable and causes harm.

People like that didn't learn responsibility as youth. He needs to be held responsible for Odin's, Frigga's and your injuries.

Sad that it's now going to be up to you to teach him about responsiblity but as this has happened, if not you, who? The next victim?
What a horrible, horrible position to be in and I feel for you for that on many levels.

I hope your arm and Frigga and Odin feel better soon. You'll all be in my prayers until I hear all is well.

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
Oh Tom, poor you!! Poor Odin!! Poor Frigga!! I am so sorry to hear this happened to all of you. How is DW and DB (dear baby?!!!)? I'll be praying for all of you. What a shame about the mastiff. We have several that come to the office and they are nothing but giant (GIANT) teddy bears. This poor dog is going to pay for his owner being a.....well, this is a family forum so I'll not say any more.

to all of you from me and sloppy wet kisses from Gracie

1 - 20 of 54 Posts